Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is DigiWeb wireless any good?

• 04-01-2006 2:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hello,

DigiWeb Wireless is available here now, but I've been checking the details at http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband_wireless_services.asp?i=2&i2=5&i6=9
    and 512/128 speed and 10GB quota seem a bit limp for €35. Has anybody got any first-hand experience of this as regards the above and maybe lag also? The idea of having "Always-On" Internet would seem pointless if you have to watch your quota. Isn't that a lot like the the "clock-watching" we have with pay-per-minute dial-up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Yeah it is good and, lets face it, if you're looking at Digiweb wireless (like I did), Eircom aren't in any rush to give you DSL through the phoneline. Yes, it's expensive for what it is but unlike IBB you'll actually get 512k. As for online gaming it's obviously fine for MMORPG but in terms of FPS like Counter Strike:Source, you're looking at pings hovering between 50-80 to www.jolt.co.uk (perfectlt playable). I had no problems at all with their service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's a big delay for installs because of a lack of equipment needed for the installs, so Digiweb told me. You could be waiting a while. I havent heard any bad reports about them and they seem to be doing a good job with Metro (their other service) so we went with them (Still waiting on the install though:()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I've heard of some problems first hand and there's been some grumbling here as well. I think that could have been with an older generation of the equipment, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

digiweb wireless and digiweb metro are 2 different services on different spectrum with different gear.

some areas can get either or both

Wireless is available mainly in Leinsster/Sligo/Letterkeny/Cork

Metro is in the 6 or 7 largest cities and nearby

I believe Laguna had/has wireless not metro .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Blaster99 wrote:
    I've heard of some problems first hand and there's been some grumbling here as well. I think that could have been with an older generation of the equipment, though.

Yes - there were some legacy issues with older non licensed stuff @ 2.4Ghz - this is nearly all gone. It wasnt a technology problem as such, it was to do with interference.

Digiweb actively stopped building 2.4Ghz unlicensed stuff over a year ago or so...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

forgot to mention

Wireless is licenced
    Metro is licenced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

What kind of equipment is needed for metro, is it just a box like an alarm and an router inside. Is there any roof requirements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Thanks for replying. What about the 10GB limit per month though? What happens if you exceed that? By my calculations, in theory, if you run at maximum capacity at 512k you reach 10GB in about 5 hours. It doesn't seem like much, especially if you're gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

lol, i think its impossible to reach 10gb from gaming unless your including downloading games. Notmuch bandwidth is used for games like cs and the lot. Whats really needed for games is very little lag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

brav wrote:
    lol, i think its impossible to reach 10gb from gaming unless your including downloading games. Notmuch bandwidth is used for games like cs and the lot. Whats really needed for games is very little lag

Correct - ISPs love gamers...use very little bandwidth...

• Advertisement
Advertisement