Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel Service, return modem?

• 04-01-2006 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

I just cancelled my U.TV broadband, and they have asked me to return the modem that they supplied. Is that normal? Do I not own the modem?
    The request was made by email, so I thought I'd ask around here first before I queried them on it.

thanks

P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

I'm pretty sure you do not own the modem and that you are *supposed* to return it. That said, when I cancelled my subscription back in Aug 2005, I did not return the modem and they did not charge me for it or contact me again about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

King Raam wrote:
    I just cancelled my U.TV broadband, and they have asked me to return the modem that they supplied. Is that normal? Do I not own the modem?
    The request was made by email, so I thought I'd ask around here first before I queried them on it.

thanks

P

No you definitely do no own the modem - it clearly states this in the terms and conditions.

However I believe that UTV's recent advertising for Clicksilver is very misleading to say the least!!!! On the website they say:

29.99 Set Up Fee
    Includes Modem and Post
    & Packaging

Now I believe that virtually everybody who reads that would think you own the modem but....in the terms and conditions:
    16.4 Upon termination for any reason, you will be responsible for returning the modem and microfilters back to UTV Internet at the following address: UTV Internet, Unit 5, Portmarnock Shopping Mall, Strand Road, Portmarnock, Co Dublin 4 at your expense. Failure to return the modem and microfilters within 7 days of the effective date of termination shall result in UTV Internet debiting €150 from your Bank Account/Credit Card for the equipment and you hereby expressly consent to such debit.

150 euros for dsl modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I mailed them asking for the address and then told them it was in the post. I never actually got around to sending the modem and i haven't heard anything from them (now over 2 months later) :D It's worth a try, i guess they see the mail saying I have returned it and just assume its returned. They're complete muppets so it really wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Gegerty wrote:
    I mailed them asking for the address and then told them it was in the post. I never actually got around to sending the modem and i haven't heard anything from them (now over 2 months later) :D It's worth a try, i guess they see the mail saying I have returned it and just assume its returned. They're complete muppets so it really wouldn't surprise me at all.

Well in fairness to UTV when you signed up with them you accepted their Terms and Conditions and they own the router/modem. And UTV generally do not let things go even if it takes them a few months so why not return it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

dub45 wrote:
    Well in fairness to UTV when you signed up with them you accepted their Terms and Conditions and they own the router/modem. And UTV generally do not let things go even if it takes them a few months so why not return it?

It's hassle I can do without. They've yet to ask for it, I knew it had to be returned and thats why i asked them for the address. Once they ask for it I'll post it off no problem, I never even opened it its all packed away in its box. I'll lose no sleep over pulling a swifty over UTV they're behaviour has been absolutely scandalous and even after I've left them I still have to call them every month to get them to refund my money cause they keep charging me when I'm no longer a customer and are even charging me for making calls from my home phone number to the same number which is physically impossible....sorry the name UTV just gets me going :p But yeah they can have their poxy modem when they ask for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement