Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade letter from ntl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

I have the old Terayon TJ210 here aswell :)

Anyway im in Dub 24 got the letter today so i rang to arrange the callout..

Friendly guy on phone got chatty and said that there was some speed upgrades in the works, so nothing new :(

He said any increase i had straight after the modem upgrade would most likely be a temp one as the "Nodes" will be getting tested over the comming weeks ....

Whatever that means :)

Roll on next Friday

Misty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Mistmyr wrote:
    I have the old Terayon TJ210 here aswell :)

Misty

Yeah same as myself, hard to belive I've NTL 5 years with only one problem in that time.

I called today also but I was told I wouldn't see any increase in speed untill late feb early march, hard to tell with some of the idiots in customer service.

(Boards username has nothing to do with NTL LTD :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

This post has been deleted.

IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

carrotcake wrote:
    from http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4

i assume that the replacement will be the ntl:250 which is smaller, as they say in the letter. there's details of it at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/141/ntl-release-new-broadband-modem

i have one of these, have had NTL since May . now on 3mbs and seem to set these results the whole time, NTL rocks:

Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:18:44 UTC

1st 512K took 1438 ms = 356 KB/sec, approx 2933 Kbps, 2.86 Mbps
    2nd 512K took 1500 ms = 341.3 KB/sec, approx 2812 Kbps, 2.75 Mbps
    3rd 512K took 1453 ms = 352.4 KB/sec, approx 2904 Kbps, 2.84 Mbps
    4th 512K took 1438 ms = 356 KB/sec, approx 2933 Kbps, 2.86 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 2896 Kbps, 2.83 Mbps

To repeat this test from the source server click here.[/
    B]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

carrotcake wrote:
    from http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4

i assume that the replacement will be the ntl:250 which is smaller, as they say in the letter. there's details of it at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/141/ntl-release-new-broadband-modem

i have one of these, have had NTL since May . now on 3mbs and seem to set these results the whole time, NTL rocks:

Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:18:44 UTC

1st 512K took 1438 ms = 356 KB/sec, approx 2933 Kbps, 2.86 Mbps
    2nd 512K took 1500 ms = 341.3 KB/sec, approx 2812 Kbps, 2.75 Mbps
    3rd 512K took 1453 ms = 352.4 KB/sec, approx 2904 Kbps, 2.84 Mbps
    4th 512K took 1438 ms = 356 KB/sec, approx 2933 Kbps, 2.86 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 2896 Kbps, 2.83 Mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Anyone know if all packages are increasing or whats the story?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

JPA wrote:
    Anyone know if all packages are increasing or whats the story?

Nobody knows - everybody speculates - nobody knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Ah come now, it's crystal clear. It's either 5Mbps, 10Mbps, in January, in February, in March, all of Dublin will be covered, DOCSIS 2, DOCSIS 3, telephone service.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

Blaster99 wrote:
    Ah come now, it's crystal clear. It's either 5Mbps, 10Mbps, in January, in February, in March, all of Dublin will be covered, DOCSIS 2, DOCSIS 3, telephone service.

Blaster u forgot the unlimited Downloads...............:D

• Advertisement

Mistmyr wrote:
    Blaster u forgot the unlimited Downloads...............:D

How about a New Year's Resolution: No more NTL threads until they actually make an announcement about new products and no more availabilitly posts as the person enquiring will actually ring NTL and ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

As from February, everyone will be upgraded to 10meg those that were on the 3meg service. I'm not certain about the others. I doubled checked - I'm actually using the 250 modem so I don't need an upgrade. Woot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Woot!
    Why the w00t for no free modem? Do people rent modems from NTL? I paid for my own, so them giving me a new one means I can flog the old one on ebay.

CiaranC wrote:
    Why the w00t for no free modem? Do people rent modems from NTL? I paid for my own, so them giving me a new one means I can flog the old one on ebay.

The woot was because I don't have to have my modem replaced. And also, do you know how worthless a cable modem is on ebay? Cable ISP's allow you to connect by your MAC address which is specific to each modem

I'll get €20 for it easy, enough for 3 pints and a bag of chips and change.

*edit* In fact they are going for about €40 on there, I just checked.
    Cable ISP's allow you to connect by your MAC address which is specific to each modem
    So? This is irrelevant outside NTL, and even by the million to one chance that someone from NTL buys it, ill already be using a new modem with a new MAC address, so the entry for the old one will be removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dillon_the_rabb

Morning all.

I've just been onto NTL about a TV problem, and I asked them about the proposed upgrades and the girl I spoke to said that she didn't know of anything regarding this. She did say that it had all happened in England, and that they had carried out tests to see if the network was capable of handling 5 and 10 meg speeds over here, but she hadn't heard of anything like this going live :(

I dunno if she was just being cagey or whether they have all been told not to say anything, but she didn't convince me! I for one am hoping that she was telling porkies :)

Cheers

Matt

CiaranC wrote:
    So? This is irrelevant outside NTL, and even by the million to one chance that someone from NTL buys it, ill already be using a new modem with a new MAC address, so the entry for the old one will be removed.

No it's not irrelevant. The auth system checks the MAC addresss of the connecting modem, if it is not listed on their network as a trusted MAC address it won't be allowed to connect. Infact the only way around this is to spoof the MAC address of the modem to that of a trusted MAC address. ALL cable ISP's that I am aware of use this system.

The NTL support people must hate boards!!!!!!!

Morning all.

I've just been onto NTL about a TV problem, and I asked them about the proposed upgrades and the girl I spoke to said that she didn't know of anything regarding this. She did say that it had all happened in England, and that they had carried out tests to see if the network was capable of handling 5 and 10 meg speeds over here, but she hadn't heard of anything like this going live :(

I dunno if she was just being cagey or whether they have all been told not to say anything, but she didn't convince me! I for one am hoping that she was telling porkies :)

Cheers

Matt

Matt, it is going live for certain. I have a friend in NTL and he assured me. Not to mention, I've spoke to their tech department about it to make sure my modem was compliant for the new uograde.

dlofnep wrote:
    No it's not irrelevant. The auth system checks the MAC addresss of the connecting modem, if it is not listed on their network as a trusted MAC address it won't be allowed to connect.
    What are you talking about? The person who buys it simply phones their ISP, says 'I have a new modem, MAC address is as follows, please update your records'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

CiaranC wrote:
    What are you talking about? The person who buys it simply phones their ISP, says 'I have a new modem, MAC address is as follows, please update your records'...
    he speaketh the trutheth

CiaranC wrote:

I offer support for cable users. I don't know of any companies that do that. They may, but we don't. they only way we will update their MAC address if if we replace their modem with an official replacement. Cable companies in general don't want to do this with other modems as they wouldn't be able to actually offer support for that modem and it may not be compliant with their network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

just had new modem put in there, still same speed though :/ installer guy didn't have a clue about anything.

"Uh maybe i guess so, uh guess not" though it is small n blue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

why couldn't ntl post the modem too you ? As if you could install it yourself there would be no need to wait around for an engineer - surely that should have been an option !

The engineer was probably lucky he knew how to install it !

I offer support for cable users. I don't know of any companies that do that. They may, but we don't.
    NTL do, for a start. Ive already had a failed modem and replaced it myself rather than go through the horror of having a series of TV repairmen who find the internet confusing, disorienting and upsetting arrive at my house. :)

Ive worked in ISP tech support myself. I still wake up screaming some nights.

Nietzschean, dont suppose your new modem does wireless does it? Maybe I can badger them into giving me one that does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I have the NTL Home 120 will I need an upgrade? Anyone in Lucan get the magic letter?

Thanks

Snake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Wonders will never cease, not only have they just been but they were early!!! Imagine. No major speed upgrade "immediately" though the contractor said it will be turned on soon.

Nice guy and also split the cable at the access point for me to hook up to the TV aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

I have the NTL Home 120 will I need an upgrade? Anyone in Lucan get the magic letter?

Thanks

Snake ;)

I live in Lucan and have the same modem as you have and I haven't recieved a letter, but as far as I know only customers with the NTL Home 100 modem need to have it replaced as it can't handle 10MB's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭RedRooster

UberNewb wrote:
    I live in Lucan and have the same modem as you have and I haven't recieved a letter, but as far as I know only customers with the NTL Home 100 modem need to have it replaced as it can't handle 10MB's
    Me either:v:

Advertisement