Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade letter from ntl

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i am confussed. does anyone know for definite what the new packages and prices will be or are ye all just speculating cause ye have to upgrade yer modems?
    Do ntl do a wifi cable modem\router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

gerire wrote:
    Nice guy and also split the cable at the access point for me to hook up to the TV aswell.
    damn, i should have gotten that done too! and the fella was only around this morning. he said 10mb, but wasn't 100%, and that the upgrade should happen at the end of february

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Scruff wrote:
    i am confussed. does anyone know for definite what the new packages and prices will be or are ye all just speculating cause ye have to upgrade yer modems?

The new prices are already in affect, they are on the website.

New packages are 10meg instead of 3meg. This is from someone who works in NTL. I didn't ask about the rest as they are of no interest to me. They take affect in february.

dlofnep wrote:
    I didn't ask about the rest as they are of no interest to me. They take affect in february.

tut tut! always thinking about yourself, no one else. its always me me me me me
    ;)

I know, I'm greedy. ;(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

THe 2nd Level package according to that guy today will be 7Mbit. He wasn't sure of Upload speeds or exactly when it was going to be switched on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

gerire wrote:
    THe 2nd Level package according to that guy today will be 7Mbit. He wasn't sure of Upload speeds or exactly when it was going to be switched on

And by "2nd level" you mean the current 2mb package? That would be sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Scruff wrote:

When you get set up if your pc isnt in the same room as your TV point they give you a Netgear wireless access point and 1 USB Wireless Adapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

When you get set up if your pc isnt in the same room as your TV point they give you a Netgear wireless access point and 1 USB Wireless Adapter.

Probably depends on how difficult it is to run a cable to your pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

I got ntl installed just before christmas and the engineer came straight in with the wireless router and adaptor, without me having to ask for one or even checking to see whether i needed one. Works great and i have wireless 3mb (soon to be 10mb:D).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

Dave6195 wrote:
    I got ntl installed just before christmas and the engineer came straight in with the wireless router and adaptor, without me having to ask for one or even checking to see whether i needed one. Works great and i have wireless 3mb (soon to be 10mb:D).

**** it anyway, i am on NTl but i had an access point near my PC so didnt get any wireless routers, was going to buy my own router and adapter for the PC in the other room for €100, do you think if i rang them, they would give me one / sell me one on the cheap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The guy said to me "Is your PC near your cable point?"
    I answered "No but I have run a length of Cat 5 to it."

Wish I hadn't now. :)

Thats good to hear. what model is it? do ye have to plug th modem into it or has it a built in modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

Just had my cable modem upgraded to the new NTL 250 model (Its small)

Install guy was very helpful, ok what i learned is Download speed upgrades are for sure, they were happening in early Feb but now put back till late Feb early March, He said GoldenBridge centre in UK is still controlling all our network traffic so he expected download limits and other setting to be almost the same as the UK upgrades before Xmas

Roll on Feb :) I have a birthday and in increase all in same month :)

EDIT: almost forgot upgrades are from 1 / 2 / 3 upto 3 / 5 / 9 (the 5 may be a 6 he wasnt sure)

Misty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The speeds are going to be between 1Mbps and 20Mbps. Upgrades will occur between now and 2050. I've heard this from my guy in NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Blaster99 wrote:
    The speeds are going to be between 1Mbps and 20Mbps. Upgrades will occur between now and 2050. I've heard this from my guy in NTL.
    20Mbps!!! wow, roll on 2050 :rolleyes:

Roll on Feb and we will see then :)

Just passing on info.....

Misty

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mistmyr wrote:
    He said GoldenBridge centre in UK is still controlling all our network traffic so he expected download limits and other setting to be almost the same as the UK upgrades before Xmas

Well, if that is the case then the 1 and 2mb products will not change. In the UK the 1 and 2mb have gone from capped products to unlimited downloads. So in the UK:

3mb + 30GB cap -> 10mb 70GB cap
    2mb + 30GB cap -> 2mb with unlimited download cap
    1mb + 30GB cap -> 1mb with unlimited download cap

In Ireland it may turn out completely different, depends on what sort of agreement UPC have with NTL.

i'd rather have 2mb with no cap than 10mb with a 75gb cap

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

carrotcake wrote:

Yeah but NTL aren't strict about their caps. (well, in my experience so far!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

carrotcake wrote:

Why? Could you even shift 75GB in a month with a 2mb connection without leaving it on 24/7?

i've had two letters from them about the cap, so they might not be so nice about it next time. with no proper way of tracking how much is being downloaded (network of 3 computers with plenty of internal traffic) i can only guess.

while 75gb is certainly a much better cap, i'd rather not have to worry about it at all, even if the connection is a fifth of the speed. i've lived with a 100mb connection for a year and coming back home to a 2mb line wasn't a big deal. believe it or not, it's nothing like going from 512k back to 56k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Still nothing official from NTL in writing on when exactly the upgrades will happen or what form they'll take. Not really surprising tbh. An email I got this morning:

Dear Xxxxx,

Thank you for your email. At the moment there is no confirmation
    to when or if the Broadband Speeds will be increased within the new year.

Should there be any confirmation on this from our Marketing Department we will notify all Broadband Customers immediately.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind regards

Nicola M Reid
    NTL Customer Support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

In fairness, 70 GB is probably enough. I have done more than that before, but you do have to make a bit of an effort to find that much to DL in one month.

NTL's newserver is pathetic aswell, hasn't even been nearly as useful as I thought it would be. doesnt carry a.b.tv or a.b.multimedia so it's a bit useless, other than comp and cd.image. If they upgraded their newserver instead of anything else I'd probably be happier. Still find myself using easynews an awful lot to fill the gaps in NTL's lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

carrotcake wrote:
    i've had two letters from them about the cap, so they might not be so nice about it next time. with no proper way of tracking how much is being downloaded (network of 3 computers with plenty of internal traffic) i can only guess.

while 75gb is certainly a much better cap, i'd rather not have to worry about it at all, even if the connection is a fifth of the speed. i've lived with a 100mb connection for a year and coming back home to a 2mb line wasn't a big deal. believe it or not, it's nothing like going from 512k back to 56k.

Could you give me a sort of indication of what limit you need to go over before they send you out a letter? Have only ever gone over my daily cap a couple of times and even then Im always inside my monthly limit of 30gig anyway.

i'm not sure, maybe around 60gb. i hadn't been downloading 24/7 anyway

mad m wrote:
    Could you give me a sort of indication of what limit you need to go over before they send you out a letter? Have only ever gone over my daily cap a couple of times and even then Im always inside my monthly limit of 30gig anyway.

Back in the summer i hit 60+ Gig for 3 months running and never heard a word, main reason i was outa work through illness and was climbing the walls at home......:) My usual usage is in and around 30 - 40 ish...

Misty

Vote dlofnep for 10meg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Mistmyr wrote:
    Back in the summer i hit 60+ Gig for 3 months running and never heard a word, main reason i was outa work through illness and was climbing the walls at home......:) My usual usage is in and around 30 - 40 ish...

Misty

For split second I thought your quote read" Back in the summer of 69" then I seen the 0,hehe.

I wont even ask what you were downloading...:)

Thanks for reply.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

so any update on when the 10meg upgrade is kicking in

Advertisement