Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A v A1 Licence

• 04-01-2006 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

What is the point of getting an A1 licence ?

I have a full A1 licence. Now I wish to get a bigger bike and I must revert to a provisional A. Is there anything that would have stopped me getting a provisional A first then just doing the test for the A?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

delanest wrote:
    What is the point of getting an A1 licence ?

I have a full A1 licence. Now I wish to get a bigger bike and I must revert to a provisional A. Is there anything that would have stopped me getting a provisional A first then just doing the test for the A?

No, there was nothing stopping you. The Power to Weight restriction does apply for the duration of the Provisional licence and the first two years after passing your test...

Personally I don't know why the A1 licence still exists. It seems like it was the old version of the Power to Weight restriction now in place.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bk4rhl

nereid wrote:
    Personally I don't know why the A1 licence still exists. .

The minimum age for an A1 license is 16, the minimum age for an A
    license is 18.

http://oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/full_motorcycle_driving_licences_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

A1 is for the kiddies - i.e. someone between 16-18.

See link: http://www.msa-ireland.com/licenses.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

delanest wrote:
    Is there anything that would have stopped me getting a provisional A first then just doing the test for the A?
    As others say, unless you're < 18 then there was nothing stopping you. That's what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

Cheers lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

so does that mean that if you are over 18 that you are automatically on the provisional A, with a 125cc bike? My provisional says both A1 and A.

No. You can get a provisional A1 if you're over 18, but you can't get a provisional A if you're under 18.

Your provisional says both, but the A1 is essentially redundant. The only difference is that if you tried to do the A1 test, and you only had an A licence (or vice-versa), you wouldn't be allow to do it. In your case, you can sit either test since you have both categories on your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Ah very good..puts that question to rest!
    Thanks.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

who hear was restricted(on a full a) after doing their test?

i wasnt, a friend of mine wasnt & another friend on the exact same bike was

do they restrict people at random?

madrab wrote:
    i wasnt, a friend of mine wasnt & another friend on the exact same bike was

do they restrict people at random?
    :eek:
    They must, cos I'm restricted. Do you mean that they just marked you down for ten years at the unrestricted level?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

How do you know if you are restricted on your licence ? Mine is marked in the lower part of f the A section.

Mine is marked for a two year period in the restricted A bit, then an eight-year period (after the two-year period expires) in the non-restricted bit.

I'd say some people in the licence printing department aren't aware of the restriction or couldn't be arsed inputting it correctly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I'm marked for 10 years in the unrestricted bit \o/. Roll on July when I turn 25, might buy a Fazer, yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

seamus wrote:
    Mine is marked for a two year period in the restricted A bit, then an eight-year period (after the two-year period expires) in the non-restricted bit.

I'd say some people in the licence printing department aren't aware of the restriction or couldn't be arsed inputting it correctly.

Mine is restricted in the same way as you describe. However I was shafted for an extra 3 months because even though I passed my test in the beginning of October (2004), they only processed the licence and gave it back to me in January!

Only for the fact that I have no intention of buying a R1 and driving it first off on a nice icy road...

Roll on Jan 2007...

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

when i passed my test a 3.5 years ago i was given the full 10 licence, no restrictions :)

maybe they have improved the system now as it didnt make any sence when i got it, but hey i wasnt complaining

Advertisement