Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nails for 35mm Insulated Plasterboard?

Options
  • 04-01-2006 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Happy Hogmanay everyone!
    I'm putting up 35mm insulated plasterboard onto a timber frame. Standard plasterboard nails won't do so I need something at least 45mm+ Can anyone tell me where I can find such a thing?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

i got 50mm galvanised clout nails in chadwicks yesterday, but you should really have an inch of nail in the timber so in that case you'd be looking for 60mm (assuming 35mm is the overall thickness of the board including plasterboard).

you might be better off with drywall screws which are available in lots of different lengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Thanks Patrido,
    A bit of online research taught me that a clout nail is much the same as a plasterboard nail, I'll have a look for 55-60mm galvanised screws as well. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

patrido wrote:
    i got 50mm galvanised clout nails in chadwicks yesterday, but you should really have an inch of nail in the timber so in that case you'd be looking for 60mm (assuming 35mm is the overall thickness of the board including plasterboard).

you might be better off with drywall screws which are available in lots of different lengths.

They have "drywall screws" in B+Q in Liffey Valley in 50 and 75mm sizes in bags of 100-500.

Do you know where to get the hammer-in fixings with the big fat plastic heads for fixing those boards direct to the wall? I got straight plastic ones
    that grip the hole with circular fins but I would prefer the hammer in ones?

Des

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would not recommend the use of nails on plasterboard anymore.
    Screws are better faster and make a more secure job with no *popping off*
    I would use 50mm black phosphate screws for this job.
    insulated plasterboard shouldn't be as heavy as double slabbing which I did with 50mm screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Desmo wrote:
    They have "drywall screws" in B+Q in Liffey Valley in 50 and 75mm sizes in bags of 100-500.

Do you know where to get the hammer-in fixings with the big fat plastic heads for fixing those boards direct to the wall? I got straight plastic ones
    that grip the hole with circular fins but I would prefer the hammer in ones?

Des

i think they are called roses? anyway i cant remember the name of the company (great help i know), but the last time i got those was in a place in ballyfermot - very near palmerstown. if you are coming from the clondalkin direction its directly in front of you when you get to the T-junction. pm me where you are coming from and il get better directions- might even have remembered the name by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

i think they are called roses? anyway i cant remember the name of the company (great help i know), but the last time i got those was in a place in ballyfermot - very near palmerstown. if you are coming from the clondalkin direction its directly in front of you when you get to the T-junction. pm me where you are coming from and il get better directions- might even have remembered the name by then.

I would be coming from the M50 around from the southside and exiting near Liffey Valley and then taking the Galway road back into town. I can probably find the place though using the yellow pages and a map. Thanks for the info.

Des

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Desmo wrote:
    I would be coming from the M50 around from the southside and exiting near Liffey Valley and then taking the Galway road back into town. I can probably find the place though using the yellow pages and a map. Thanks for the info.

Des

then continue on into town, few hundred metres from the m50 roundabout you come to the palmerstown crossroads, take a right at that, head straight up the top of that road, it sweeps to the left near the top, follow that main road, silver granite on the left, super valu on the right, keep going straight and the industrial park is on your left, you'll have to find your own way through there, but if you had have kept driving on that road you would eventually see it on the left in the industrial park - but you cant enter it there if you know what i mean!

Advertisement