Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen for watching DVDs, no TV necessary?

• 04-01-2006 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Like it says, I want to get something that I can watch DVDs on (have a DVD player) but I don't want to buy anything that would be classed as a TV. (not paying cable fees or TV licence)

Are there flat screens out there that would do this? Prob something like a PC flatscreen monitor maybe?

Any ideas/advice out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭J2DaC

Get a projector, up to 100' inch screens and no TV license and are relatively cheap. There are expensive ones though! And you can use them with DVD players and everything with a video output!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

J2DaC wrote:
    Get a projector, up to 100' inch screens and no TV license and are relatively cheap. There are expensive ones though! And you can use them with DVD players and everything with a video output!

I would say a projector aswell, but you do need a dark room for proper viewing.
    There are some decent DLP's for less than €800 if you do decide on a PJ
    I have a BenQ 5120 and it does the job. There is a 6110 done that i think is an update http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=315273&cks=SPK

But if its just a simple screen for watching DVD's, and your not chuffed about size then go with a PC screen, but you may need some sort of convertor box aswell, it really depends on the screen specs that you get.

But in size to value for money id go for the PJ

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

Sparky-s wrote:
    I have a BenQ 5120 and it does the job. There is a 6110 done that i think is an update http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=315273&cks=SPK

Sparky,
    A reviewer on the komplett site says there's a problem with a "rainbow effect" - have you experienced that? Also, how long does the bulb last and what do they cost to replace? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

frost wrote:
    Sparky,
    A reviewer on the komplett site says there's a problem with a "rainbow effect" - have you experienced that? Also, how long does the bulb last and what do they cost to replace? Thanks!

Yeah some people are affected by the rainbow affect, i was at first, but this was due to me looking for rainbows because i knew about them, if i had'nt known i probably would'nt have noticed.
    after a week of watching i forgot about them and now hardly notice.

The best example ive found to explain the rainbow affect is this one
    http://www.dietforum.net/balagee/projected/rainbow.html

thats what it looks like when your eye follows it rapidly.

Best bet is to go to the likes of peats and ask for a demo of a DLP projector, within your budget.
    My projector has a 5 segment colour wheel spinning at x2 times speed, but some 7 segment colour wheels reduce the rainbow affect because the colour data is being displayed at a higher rate.

Obvioulsy LCD gets rid of all this but i like the DLP because of its cinema feel and better contrast ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 TheMasterG

Thanks for the replies, confirms a lot of what I'd read on projectors.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get an LCD screen only ie. no TV/DVD bits included with it? Or how would I go about finding out if a flatscreen PC monitor would work? (maybe a bit small though...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement