Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest internet provider

• 04-01-2006 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hey I have a phone line in my house but I dont want to connect it for phone use, I dont really want to pay line rental, is there any other way of me getting internet, and what wouold the cheapest way be, cheapest in both installationa nd use....

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

joejoem wrote:
    Hey I have a phone line in my house but I dont want to connect it for phone use, I dont really want to pay line rental, is there any other way of me getting internet, and what wouold the cheapest way be, cheapest in both installationa nd use....

Where are you? If you don't want a phone line look at NTL. Smart give free line rental if you can get that. Otherwise have a look at some of the wireless options. I would need to know where you are to give more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

Imagine or Gaelic Telecom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

So well....mmmmm....let me you guess, youre a big GAA fan?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

- NTL (don't need a line)
    - Smart (free line rental)
    - BT (cheap line rental)
    - Digiweb Metro (wireless BB)

There will be new products from Eircom/BT next month which might offer cheaper BB then the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

bk wrote:
    - BT (cheap line rental)

There will be new products from Eircom/BT next month which might offer cheaper BB then the moment.

To be fair - there will probably be new products from all DSL resellers next month BT/Digiweb/Imagine/eircom/UTV etc but ya still need to add in the cost of line rental :) I think the chap wants to try to avoid paying line rental...

• Advertisement

Do you work for one of them?

paulm17781 wrote:
    Do you work for one of them?

Thats what I thought as well, but thirdmantackle has pushed them before probable due to the fact that they are supposed to give a % of their profits to the GAA(as if they need it!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

bk wrote:
    - BT (cheap line rental)

I love the way you left out IBB! Good man yourself! ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I love the way you left out IBB! Good man yourself! ;)

LOL, yes I do that on purpose, with over 50% of their custmers not happy with the service, I just can't recommend it.

BTW I love the firefox icon eating IE :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

bk wrote:
    LOL, yes I do that on purpose, with over 50% of their custmers not happy with the service, I just can't recommend it.
    Only 50%? I thought it was more... hehehe I'm definitely one of them anyway! Look at how my connection is performing right now (***DISCLAIMER*** THE FOLLOWING LINK CONTAINS SHOCKING IMAGES!):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50638573&postcount=1
    bk wrote:
    BTW I love the firefox icon eating IE :)
    Loved it too! Firefox POWER! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

€20 a month for always on?

Can't beat that.

I've been using the service for months. Never had a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

paulm17781 wrote:
    Where are you? If you don't want a phone line look at NTL. Smart give free line rental if you can get that. Otherwise have a look at some of the wireless options. I would need to know where you are to give more info.

Hey, Im in Dun Laoghaire/Glenageary. I have NTL digital if that would make any difference. What price would I be paying for these providers? Are these Broadband providers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Can't beat that.

€20 + modem rental + line rental + 33cp/min tech support. Bargain?:rolleyes:
    You can but the modem for €44.99 that everyone else supplies for free (except Imagine and Gaelic Telecom).

Can't beat that.

When you factor in: Line rental, mandatory call package, router rental, €99 install fee, ambiguous contract length...

You'll find you can.

DTV does not mean you can get BB. Call NTL to find out if you can.

Can't beat that.

"thirdmantackle" is exactly the type of customer that Imagine was targeting and well it appears to be a complete success!!!

Personially I'll stay with my "expensive" BT connection:confused: !

paulm17781 wrote:

What would you think is the best option and cheapest for me? My head hurts from trying to get information from this thread. (I'm not being snotty here, just cant get any solid information)

joejoem wrote:
    What would you think is the best option and cheapest for me? My head hurts from trying to get information from this thread. (I'm not being snotty here, just cant get any solid information)

It is really very simple.

If you currently have NTL cable TV, then call them and they will tell you if BB is available in your area. NTL have 3 different products:

- 1m/100k for €25
    - 2m/200k for €30
    - 3m/300k for €40

so it depends on what you need and want to spend.

If NTL isn't available to you then contact Smart Telecom and they will tell you if they can offer you BB. It will cost €35 per month for 2m/128k including the line rental.

If you can't get smart, then contact BT, they currently have a package with 1m BB + line rental for €40 per month, they will probably have a new cheaper product in the next few weeks.

Digiweb Metro is another alternative, they do wireless BB, you get 3m/512k for €42.35 per month.

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I'd say you can't get NTL there, but check it out by all means. You would have gotten NTL leaflets and phone calls if BB was available, so you probably would have noticed...

You won't get Smart either, and I doubt Digiweb Metro reaches that neck of the woods. Prepare yourself for BT Ireland ADSL.

Blaster99 wrote:
    You would have gotten NTL leaflets and phone calls if BB was available, so you probably would have noticed...

I only got called by them two days after I ordered it. :(

Never got a leaflet or anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement