Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best looking saloon car in the world

Options
  • 04-01-2006 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

It has to be Aston's new one....I've never seen a saloon car before that actually really does look like a coupe (the Merc CLS & Alfa 156 tried) but this is just beautiful!
    01large.jpg
    story here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

First words = Holy Jesus!

The back looks a bit bastardised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Doesn't quite take me to the fair. How about a Quattroporte?

Quattroporte_3B.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

"Aston Martin Rapide - the best way of getting three girls to go out with you at once"

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

It is pretty, there's no denying that. It isn't very unique, though. I'm disappointed because Ian Callum didn't design it, and yet it still looks exactly like any other contemporary Aston.

Anyway, the DS is the most beautiful saloon car in the world...

The aston's interior is very beautiful. Ford's PAG are really getting this right these days. New Volvos and Land rovers also have very well designed interiors, in a kind of earthy Swedish minimalist way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I'm gonna have kids* just so I have an excuse to get that saloon!

*Eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The AM looks mega but they'll either have to take out the front seat or make yer woman lie across the back otherwise she won't fit in.

Now here's a saloon car like no other; Lamborghini/Chrysler Portofino (1987)

portofinolambo19872.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I think the E39 M5 is the nicest saloon car ever in every respect and it always will be. The Masarati Quattroporte is definitely up there too, I saw one in Italy last year and it was incredibly well built considering it was Italian and the styling is really nice inside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

junkyard wrote:
    I think the E39 M5 is the nicest saloon car ever in every respect and it always will be. The Masarati Quattroporte is definitely up there too, I saw one in Italy last year and it was incredibly well built considering it was Italian and the styling is really nice inside too.

I quite like the E39 M5, and alse the Audi A/S8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

the Lambo/Chrysler is a concept prototype and never made production - so does that count?

the nicest saloon is the 'Lagonda' imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

have a soft spot for the old 5 series (E39) so understated, and everything about the drive is just right, sure it's not as racy as the Aston or Maserati, but I'm sure it'll date better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

wow thats some Aston.
    And I agree, the e39 had a kind of elegant agressive look.
    But for the moment I find the merc cls astounding, stunning, nearly fell out of my pram.

I disagree about the E39. It is a handsome car, and in M5 form was the best all-round saloon car in the world (in it's day). It is hardly a design masterpiece though, being basically 3 boxes and 4 wheels. Others have done 3 box saloons better (e.g. Chrysler 300c, Alfa 156).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

i disagree, i think the 300c is too fussy

The last time I looked they all had 4 wheels but in fairness to Alfa Romeo they have made some nice cars but I hardly consider the 156 to be a master piece, just take a look out the back of any car dealers and you'll see a couple of 156's with the grass growing around them or ask them and they'll have a similar opinion. I'm sorry to say it but I think the newer style BMW's have lost the plot and I don't think I'll buy another but I love the look of the E39 M5, always did and always will, from every angle.

junkyard wrote:
    The last time I looked they all had 4 wheels but in fairness to Alfa Romeo they have made some nice cars but I hardly consider the 156 to be a master piece, just take a look out the back of any car dealers and you'll see a couple of 156's with the grass growing around them
    Perhaps, but they'll still look beautiful. Reliability does not make a car beautiful. Nor does performance, or good resale value.

The E39, particularly in M5 form is a timeless shape IMO. It'll still look good in years to come, while some other saloons, E60, probably won't.

I'm so happy with my M5 I've decided to keep it instead of trading it in and just use it the odd day instead of everyday. I've owned it nearly 4 years now but every time I take it for a long spin it just seems to get better.

junkyard wrote:
    I'm so happy with my M5 I've decided to keep it instead of trading it in and just use it the odd day instead of everyday. I've owned it nearly 4 years now but every time I take it for a long spin it just seems to get better.

Good plan, if I had one I'd be sad to see it go

Advertisement