Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actimel bottles half-empty

Options
  • 04-01-2006 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

When the product 'Actimel' from Danone was released on the market, the level in the bottle was just below the rim. Now it is a full 2.5cm below the rim of the bottle. In other words, a bottle of Actimel is now just over half-full (or almost half-empty). Needless to say, the price has not been cut in half.

I say boycott Actimel until they fill the bottles up to the top again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I really must be getting cynical in my old age... you signed up to boards.ie to tell us to boycott Actimel?

You may have a valid point, I don't know, but it would be far more helpful if you could expand your point a little.

Did you contact Danone?
    What did they say?
    How much should be in the bottle?
    How do you know it's exactly 2.5cm below where it should be?.... that's a very exact measurement.
    Are you speaking on behalf of.... you a consumer, or are you secretly :rolleyes: representing a competitor?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

is it 100ml or not , never mind the height of the bottle ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

Hiya,
    I joined because it was the first Irish message board I found :-)

Culchie>
    (A) I did contact Danone (Challenge of the day: try and find contact details on their website in under 60 seconds!), but no reply as yet.

(B) Danone, perhaps unsurprisingly, do not print the amount in the bottle on the label, but I think 100ml (when full!).

(C) When I opened the bottle, the level was way down, which is what got me annoyed in the first place: I have noticed the level falling every 2 months or so, but this month was the lowest so far. I simply took a ruler and measured from the rim to the level of liquid in the bottle.

(D) I'm just a humble but peeved consumer trying to bring up an issue of Scrooge-iness on part of a multinational. Not a competitor or anything like that as you suggest.

Sponge Bob>
    Good point that I didn't think of - I'll pour open a bottle into a measuring jug. Perhaps a full-bottle is actually over 100ml and was just to launch the product. I'll post how much is actually in the bottle today. Perhaps I'll have to eat my words/post!

But if you see a bottle on the shelf (e.g. http://www.danone.be/danone/medias/images/histoire/actimel.gif), the level now only goes as far as the top of the label (i.e. where the A in Actimel starts): the size of the bottle suggests you are getting more.

This is not a new marketing trick though - a half-empty bag of Tayto crisps springs to mind, even though the packaging looks bigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Thanks for that ... excuse the cynicism ... welcome to boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

justmehere wrote:
    (B) Danone, perhaps unsurprisingly, do not print the amount in the bottle on the label

Pretty sure that's illegal (against EU law).
    Anyone got a bottle handy?

I think all foodstuffs have to be labelled with their weight / volume.
    If it's part of a multipack, the outer packaging will have to have it (e.g. - "containing 6 x 100ml bottles".
    If you find out that it doesnt, take it up direct with Danone before you start looking for a boycott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

whiskeyman wrote:
    Pretty sure that's illegal (against EU law).
    Anyone got a bottle handy?

I think all foodstuffs have to be labelled with their weight / volume.
    If it's part of a multipack, the outer packaging will have to have it (e.g. - "containing 6 x 100ml bottles".
    If you find out that it doesnt, take it up direct with Danone before you start looking for a boycott.

That's it exactly, I'm pretty sure the individual ones don't have the amount, but the outer packaging states 4 x 100ml or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I have a theory, but don't know enough about food production.

Those actimel are supposed to have active cultures of good bacteria or something ?

Maybe the top of the bottle is a sort of bacteria air supply !
    Just a wild guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

OMcGovern wrote:
    I have a theory, but don't know enough about food production.

Those actimel are supposed to have active cultures of good bacteria or something ?

Maybe the top of the bottle is a sort of bacteria air supply !
    Just a wild guess :)

Or maybe the bacteria are eating all the Actimel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I drink Actimel every day from the 12 bottle multipacks. It says on the pack that they are 12x100g bottles.
    I have never noticed a bottle being 'half-full' though there is always a gap at the top.
    Must check tomorrow morning when i'm due my next bottle to check how full it really is :)

Advertisement