Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Panel

• 04-01-2006 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Evening Herald - Tuesday 3 January 2006

BOAT HAS SAILED ON DARA'S IRISH TV CAREER

Funnyman Dara O'Briain has vowed to quit irish TV for good ahead of his big break on BBC. Dara will be hoping he is a hit with the ratings when he kickstarts his new show Three Men In A Boat tonight. TV viewers were left stumped after it was revealed that RTE failed to commission another series of the Panel. Despite topping RTE2's ratings, the topical programme has now been axed - prompting O'Briain to announce plans to quit irish TV. "To be honest, I'm Knackered. So if it's the end of The Panel I'm not that bothered," Dara said. "Of corse I'll miss the craic but I won't miss flying back and forth to Dublin," he said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

mob wrote:
    RTE failed to commission another series of the Panel

RTÉ are idiots. a good show and they canned it. and now they have lost Dara O Briain to boot. a big well done for Montrose. muppets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

O'Briain is going to be even more successful in the UK.
    The Beeb got stung by the demise of Graham Norton... there was such expectation but it flopped massively.
    Dara has had a steady number of successful shows / appearances, and I'd say the Beeb have bigger and better things lined up for him in the future.
    I'd say Dara probably didnt renew his contract with RTE and they had to admit they had noone else to take over the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

"Funnyman Dara O'Briain"

Paradox.

That's like saying "a good Patrick Kielty joke", or "Pat Kenny fan mail"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

tbh, I never thought much of him anyway.. He's more irritating than funny.. Never could really take him seriously after he started his career on "Echo Island"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

THE BASTARDS!! THIS IS ALL RTÉ HAVE... WTF??!?
    THAT HAS TO BE A JOKE, RTÉ ARE FOOLS... NEH, THIS IS THE ONLY SHOW I'VE WATCHED RELIGIOUSLY THIS YEAR, AND IT WAS ON RTÉ FOR THE FIRST TIME.
    CAN THEY DO ANYTHING RIGHT??? AT ALL.. I'M SERIOUS! ASSWIPES!
    I hope TV3 hire them all back to have the exact same show... but with a new name! .. neh, its kinda unlikley eh??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mob

THE BASTARDS!! THIS IS ALL RTÉ HAVE... WTF??!?
    THAT HAS TO BE A JOKE, RTÉ ARE FOOLS... NEH, THIS IS THE ONLY SHOW I'VE WATCHED RELIGIOUSLY THIS YEAR, AND IT WAS ON RTÉ FOR THE FIRST TIME.
    CAN THEY DO ANYTHING RIGHT??? AT ALL.. I'M SERIOUS! ASSWIPES!
    I hope TV3 hire them all back to have the exact same show... but with a new name! .. neh, its kinda unlikley eh??

In all fairness the only was way it'd ever get on TV3 is if ITV decided to do the show.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Damn I should have got those tickets. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

They should (and possibly will) find some other person to fill the seat. Although does anyone remember the shambles Don't Feed the Gondolas became after Moncrieff left?
    It's cheap TV for RTE to produce and is a ratings winner too especially for the notoriously fickle younger audience (myself included). Good for advertising revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

"Dara O'Briain has vowed to quit Irish TV for good" - what typical Herald sh*te.

The Evening Herald are the greatest RTÉ bashers in this country - they sail along promoting 'stars' they take a liking to, but bash them to a pulp when they're 'down', and generally hype up anything to do with the station - all of which reached farcial proportions when it suggested RTÉ were going to sell off it's Montrose HQ because the kitty was so empty :rolleyes:

Any number of reasons could have dictated why The Panel isn't returning - most likely the fact O'Briain has other commitments. Agreed it's been an outstanding success as a credible, popular, home grown programme and format, and it's a pity we look like we're going to lose it - esp as a young people's programme who are very difficult to please as has been said.

As for O'Briain 'leaving Irish television' - what crap. Has he said this Evening Herald? - eh no :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd say O Briain will go east for good. The beeb clearly rate him otherwise he would'nt have got within an asses roar of Three Men in A Boat (part two next Tuesday at 9pm) where he is on an equal footing with Griff Rhyce Jones and
    Rory McGrath.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    eh no :rolleyes:

Thats how he probably would reply, either that or - eh yes.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

It's about time, it has been rubbish for so long. At least this time they're not going to try milk it for another three years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

As the token Irish begureger (sp) :D (Atrocity prob got there before me)

I cann't wait to see him (O'Brien) crawling back to RTE and into the DG's office looking for his job back.

lol

But they could have easily given this show a 22 part run along time ago.

Look TV3 are giving Brendan Courtney another six episode :rolleyes:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

What the hell is RTE's consistent problem with comedy ?

Is there a charter or something that requires them to chop anything that even shows the promise of being funny ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    Agreed it's been an outstanding success as a credible, popular, home grown programme and format...

It is/was actually a carbon copy of the Australian series, also called The Panel, based on exactly the same premise, with almost exactly the same set and the same revolving guests/interviewers idea. RTE did next to nothing to change it, just use Irish people instead of Australians. I used to watch it in Oz, it was exactly the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

RTE would be stupid not to make a new show, in The Panel or Don't Feed The Gondolas-type format. As long as they can get a host as good as Moncrief and Dara O'Briain were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

There is about 3 things I watch on RTE, Scrubs, Panel and CSI. Maybe if good film is on but RTE is wondering why they are losing Viewers well this is the reason. Its a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭360*

idiots. the panel is and forever will be fantastic. new and old comedy together with topical questions showcased in a live enviorment, theres nothing wrong with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

"Funnyman Dara O'Briain"

Paradox.

That's like saying "a good Patrick Kielty joke", or "Pat Kenny fan mail"

the term your looking for is oxymoron not paradox.

Maybe now they'll invest in some proper comedy, they only ever try one of two things: Cheesy sitcom or dull topical humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Not sure if the guy who made this website is on boards or not...

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~magluby/dftg/index.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ah that sucks... When's his new show on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I actually really enjoyed it. It always got me laughing and I thought O'Brian was the perfect referee. It is the only show RTE has or ever had that I thought was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 viralstar

hmm I think it's definately time for something fresh. The Pannel was mildy amusing but nothing original.
    But if someone really needed to be taken out of the Irish comedy arena it's Ed Byrne. My god, that man is never funny.

How big is Ed Byrne internationally? I saw those clips of him on the Conan O'Brien show, is he big in America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Atrocity wrote:
    How big is Ed Byrne internationally? I saw those clips of him on the Conan O'Brien show, is he big in America?

He seems to be making a nice living and fair play to him. Alot of people on here slag him but have watched his standup alot on TV and he was always very good. Doing the Sky ads and all now and seems to have a good name in UK comedy circles so fair play to him.

Advertisement