Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help getting my Laptop to accept Broadband

• 04-01-2006 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So... got a spanky new HP 4000 Pavillion from the US. 2days ago. Plugged it in and set up Win XP (as ya do)... blah blah blah...

But it won't allow me on-line.

Its pinging to my ISP, but not to any URL. (Checked that in DOS)

NTL say its a fault on my computer or that some program may be blocking it. (ie: not their responsibility)

My old laptop was set up exactly the same way and was also the same OS and from the U.S. but I have no problems with it!?

Anyone any ideas? the misses is gonna kill me if we ain't on line soon (got a Wedding to plan... :eek: )

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if its pinging your isp it IS on line

what IP address did you ping
    what dns does it have in the tcp settings
    what firewall came with it , is it enabled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

IP address was given by NTL service desk... (had tried, BBC.co.uk, Google, etc....)

DNS? not sure... but was double checked by NTL also and they said it should be fine.

Firewall is winXP and I've tried it enabled and disabled... no joy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Try pinging an IP external to your ISP's network, e.g. the boards.ie IP is 82.195.136.250
    If this pings ok then its a DNS problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

Thanks, will try that later (in work at the moment)

Herself decided to call HP and they seem to think its an XP peripherals fault and told her to re-install Windows...

So its at home doing that now...

Any other ideas after this are most appreciated... (if it doesn't work that is!)

If it fails, i'll be on line later this evening, in case anyone else has any ideas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Try a tracert to an ip address such as the boards one given or google etc to see where the blockage is.

When you say that you can ping the isp ip address - are you sure that it is an isp server and not an address of your router / modem.

also use ipconfig /all to see if dns / gateway has been set.

check your windows xp firewall also - try disabling it temporarily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement