Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up shooting

Options
  • 04-01-2006 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

My brother lives in Italy and I really got into shooting when I was with him over christmas (just target shooting with a rifle out his back garden). I'd be interested in taking up the sport but I don't know where to start. Few quick questions :

- Are there any gun clubs or ranges around Dublin/Kildare ?
    - Can you hire a gun at a range to shoot or do you need to own your own ?

Just an idea but maybe a sticky with info for people thinking of taking up shooting would be handy !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DDLR

My brother lives in Italy and I really got into shooting when I was with him over christmas (just target shooting with a rifle out his back garden). I'd be interested in taking up the sport but I don't know where to start. Few quick questions :

- Are there any gun clubs or ranges around Dublin/Kildare ?
    - Can you hire a gun at a range to shoot or do you need to own your own ?

Just an idea but maybe a sticky with info for people thinking of taking up shooting would be handy !

What type of shooting,

There is Clay shooting witha shotgun or target Shooting witha Rifle, And then there is pistol target shooting,

First, There is a great Clays club out side dublin called Courtlough Rilfe and Clay Pigeon club contact :: 018413096, You can rent shotguns .22 or AirRifles tho :D

Second There is a FullBore/Small bore / Pistol range down in the midlands.
    MIDLANDS NATIONAL SHOOTING CENTER OF IRELAND you can rent clubguns contact (0506) 54643

Now about pistols, You cant rent pistols out down here in the south, BUT you can go up to a club in the north and try some pistol up there and see if you like it,

They are the best of what they do, enjoy and be safe Guns are not toys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Thanks for the info DDLR.
    It'd be target shooting with a pistol or rifle.

How muh does it cost to join these clubs, do they have websites ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hillybilly

hi the web address for the midland national shooting centre of ireland is www.shotireland.com the email address is mailto:info@shotireland.com .give them a call .they are a great bunch of lads and will assist you in any way they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

hillybilly wrote:
    hi the web address for the midland national shooting centre of ireland is www.shotireland.com ...
    Eeek!
    <shields eyes from glaring red text>
    Another beauty created with Microsoft FrontPage :D
    "cheque" ??? :confused:

Anyhow, an older site with a bit more information can be found here- http://www.midlandrifleclub.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

DDLR wrote:
    What type of shooting,

First, There is a great Clays club out side dublin called Courtlough Rilfe and Clay Pigeon club contact :: 018413096, You can rent shotguns .22 or AirRifles tho :D

DDLR... I appreciate you trying to help a newbie and also promote Courtlough but please make it clear that firearms are not available FOR RENT at Courtlough. 'Rent' implies that any 'Joe Soap'can come up and pay money and be given a gun ad-hoc.

I appreciate the fact that it is a matter of wording, yet it may land a party into a world of bother. Courtlough operate a policy that visitors may have use of a club gun under authorisation when under the supervision and guidance of a club (qualified & Registered) instructor. Sorry if I am coming across as a grumpy old fart but there is no point playing into the hands of people who dont like our sport for the sake of a few words.

• Advertisement

Chopperdog wrote:
    DDLR wrote:
    What type of shooting,

DDLR... I appreciate you trying to help a newbie and also promote Courtlough but please make it clear that firearms are not available FOR RENT at Courtlough. 'Rent' implies that any 'Joe Soap'can come up and pay money and be given a gun ad-hoc.

I appreciate the fact that it is a matter of wording, yet it may land a party into a world of bother. Courtlough operate a policy that visitors may have use of a club gun under authorisation when under the supervision and guidance of a club (qualified & Registered) instructor. Sorry if I am coming across as a grumpy old fart but there is no point playing into the hands of people who dont like our sport for the sake of a few words.

Yes im sorry, You are right. I used the wrong wording!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Cheers DDLR!
    (No hard feelings.....) ;)

Thanks for the info DDLR.
    It'd be target shooting with a pistol or rifle.

How muh does it cost to join these clubs, do they have websites ?

CL is 280 i think, And the Midlands well you will need to contact them and have a chat they are a SUPER grp of people! And wil help you along the road youre about to take :)

I wish you the best and remmber GUNS are not toys! So be safe

Advertisement