Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fifty sofas

Options
  • 04-01-2006 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

i've sat on over fifty sofas over the last week and was just about to purchase a three seater and a two seater because they (big generous shops in retail parks) told me that i was saving THOUSAND OF EUROS.
    but i've just read a thread in the boards archives about people buying from both LAND OF LEATHER and REIDS who have had some bad experiences with delays and bad customer service ect.
    anyone bought from LAND OF LEATHER or REIDS and actually got their sofa on time and had apossitive experience?
    or indeed recommend any other shop around Dublin?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

liam1204 wrote:
    i've sat on over fifty sofas over the last week and was just about to purchase a three seater and a two seater because they (big generous shops in retail parks) told me that i was saving THOUSAND OF EUROS.
    but i've just read a thread in the boards archives about people buying from both LAND OF LEATHER and REIDS who have had some bad experiences with delays and bad customer service ect.
    anyone bought from LAND OF LEATHER or REIDS and actually got their sofa on time and had apossitive experience?

2+2+2 in red leather from instore.ie cost me 2050 ,delivered, last year , 3 small sofas look cool together . dunno what the price is now.

see http://www.instore.ie/shop/item.asp?itemid=63 too

I always thought Reids and Land of Leather overpriced compared to instore (ez living has a crap choice in leather ) .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

what part of the city are you in...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Bought a leather 3 and 2 from Reids last year ... no complaints on price or service to be honest. It arrived on time.

Were the moaners on the other boards the usual gang who decided on 1st December that they want a suite of furniture for christmas?

Furniture, like most imports is normally shipped in every 4 or 5 weeks, therefore depending on how near you are to the next shipping date, you can be waiting 2 or 3 days or be unlucky and have to wait 4 or 5 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Bought a 3 and a 2er from LoL last year and had to swap the 3er for another 2er. No probs if slightly more expensive - but my own fault. no problems in delivery and the guys actually took care when bringing them in as opposed to the brat who tried to rape my doorway delivering a cooker.
    t'was grand and hassle free.
    Ive noticed on the ads that the interest on te pay nothing for a year deals is huge - over 22% if Im correct. Thats pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Culchie wrote:

Furniture, like most imports is normally shipped in every 4 or 5 weeks, therefore depending on how near you are to the next shipping date, you can be waiting 2 or 3 days or be unlucky and have to wait 4 or 5 weeks.

I was in the market earlier on the year for a suite and Reids were quoting 12-14 weeks delivery on nearly all their items. I have heard of people waiting up to 6 months from Reids, I haven't heard anything about LoL.

• Advertisement

I
    was in the market earlier on the year for a suite and Reids were quoting 12-14 weeks delivery on nearly all their items. I have heard of people waiting up to 6 months from Reids, I haven't heard anything about LoL.

It was about the same for LoL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think this is one of those things where some people have a good experience, some have an OK experience and others have a dreadful experience.

It seems that a lot of these companies can have problems with delivery times. LoL also operate in the North. My cousin bought a sofa and was told 14 weeks for delivery. 9 months later he was still waiting and and to threaten legal action to cancel the order and get his money back.

At the same time you have to presume that the vast majority of there customers are either happy or not too unhappy or they would be out of business.

I would probably go for it but make very sure I knew where I stood should the delivery time start to slip.

MrP

use your credit card to pay for it, get the shop to clearly note the intended delivery date on the receipt and if it does not show on or by that date , as agreed and noted, you simply charge back the credit card the day after and **** them :D . Do ring (or fax) to say you have cancelled the order of course.

they will give you no discount for paying cash so use that card instead .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The interest free credit offers catch out a lot of people, if the full amount is not paid by the due date then a high interest rate is charged (often on the whole price not just any amount outstanding). Certain shops have been known not to give any notice of the final amount being due. There have been stories like that on watchdog numerous times.

TBH I have little sympathy for those caught out by this, it may be sneaky but people should take responsibility for dealing with their debts rather than relying on the store to handhold them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭liam1204

Sponge Bob wrote:
    2+2+2 in red leather from instore.ie cost me 2050 ,delivered, last year , 3 small sofas look cool together . dunno what the price is now.

see http://www.instore.ie/shop/item.asp?itemid=63 too

I always thought Reids and Land of Leather overpriced compared to instore (ez living has a crap choice in leather ) .

nice one sponge bob, never heard of "instore" will check it out. one thing though did you buy online without introducing your ass to its new friend?

what i have found out over the last week or so is the difference in the varying levels of comfort with the sofas. some you just sink into others are very upright and proper. i personally just want to be able to lie back, put my head on the rest and kick of my trainers after work and dream of..................

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote:
    what part of the city are you in...?

dub13 , just moved from dub 13 to a part of dub that does not even have a number after it. i feel well ripped off. lucan.

Dellgirl wrote:
    Bought a 3 and a 2er from LoL last year and had to swap the 3er for another 2er. No probs if slightly more expensive - but my own fault. no problems in delivery and the guys actually took care when bringing them in as opposed to the brat who tried to rape my doorway delivering a cooker.
    t'was grand and hassle free.
    Ive noticed on the ads that the interest on te pay nothing for a year deals is huge - over 22% if Im correct. Thats pretty bad.

dellgirl, did you find that the 3er was too big for the room? some of them look on the big size so had the measuring tape out last night doing the H x W x D thing. your happy enough with the quality and your choice of sofa?

liam1204 wrote:
    nice one sponge bob, never heard of "instore" will check it out. one thing though did you buy online without introducing your ass to its new friend?
    Frau Sponge Bob was deployed into shop . Very comfy I assure you with no planks sticking up and deep cushions . Then we haggled a bit and as they had a delivery due 3 weeks later they cut a deal on 3 (saved them warehousing I spose) and discounted a tad more for folding notes after I waved my CC at them.
    what i have found out over the last week or so is the difference in the varying levels of comfort with the sofas. some you just sink into others are very upright and proper. i personally just want to be able to lie back, put my head on the rest and kick of my trainers after work and dream of..................
    Its quite hard to get one which supports your head nowadays, our red ones do not (unless you are 5' 6" or less ) , the fashion is for lowish ones ....

Unlike Reids and LOL some shops make their money selling furniture, Reids and LOL make theirs selling 22.9% interest never never deals for finance companies. They would have to register as moneylenders if the interest rate was 23% .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

reids are a joke still waiting on mine since last JULY

blahblah06 wrote:
    reids are a joke still waiting on mine since last JULY

You are as big a joke for letting them away with it without cancelling . You must have paid cash not bought on finance :D

cheers John R, MrPudding, Culchie, whippet for ur valuable input. liam1204:D

dellgirl, did you find that the 3er was too big for the room? some of them look on the big size so had the measuring tape out last night doing the H x W x D thing. your happy enough with the quality and your choice of sofa?

I didnt measure the room properly and so the couch ended up being too big. Entirely my own stoopid fault. You really need to measure up properly and envision it there cos even now the 2 x 2er dominate the room and so Im thinking of swsitching to an armchair and a 2er and moving the second 2er to another room.
    As regards quality - you get what you pay for I supose. Mine are really comfy and good looking but I paid a grand a pop so Id expect them to be comfy. I did give them a good going over in the shop first tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bought from Land of leather last year. Was quoted 12 weeks but delivered in just over 6. Was happy but now have problems with suite - armchair (recliner ) has a loose bolt at back so back is loose and springs are gone in one part of three seater.

I contacted them and filled a form for upholster to visit but haven't heard anything since. IO'm going to look for a replacement as I don't think that this suite is up to the job.

y would i cancel an order for a couch that i want? thats just stupid. good things come to ppl that wait

blahblah06 wrote:
    good things come to ppl that wait

have you ever seen a dry sponge. Its an ugly sight. Best threaten them while wet !!

• Advertisement

wtf u talking about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

I just bought a 3 seater and 2 seater Lazyboy black leather recliners from Arnotts for 3700, they had 2000 off.. it was the same price as what Land of Leather had on offer!! I was very surprised at how over priced Land of Leather were, especially cos of all the horror stories I had heard about them!!

Even when I was in having a look some bloke was shouting at some poor sale girl cos his couch hadnt arrived!!

So have a look in Arnotts if you havent bought already, you may be surprised..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

liam1204 wrote:

bough a 3+2+1 from LOL cork at the start of december , ordered thursday they where ready to deliver monday...(i had them do it the next friday becuase I would be there anyway)...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We got 2 sofa's from reids - delivery was abt 12 weeks as promised and my dad even haggled them down cos he was paying in cash!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Advertisement