Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Newbie

Options
  • 04-01-2006 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Total newbie to programming always been into the networking and hardware side of things but i want to learn to do some scripting and possibly learn some form of a programming language....

Whats the most practical and bst language to learn? Also looking to learn by myself through self study etc....

Any advice or tips for getting started would be appreciated?

Also please remember i havent done much in the way of programming and the likes, only basic HTML stuff!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

PHP is very easy to learn, and it's very powerful. Fits in very nicely with MySQL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭deadfingers

Download one of the microsoft express visual studio IDE's, they have plenty of step-by-step tutorials on simiple programming. I would suggest the express visual web developer as you can use both ASP and C#. Also it will allow you to get something working quickly thus keeping your interest. Although some may say the only way to learn programming correctly is too use a text editor and debug yourself..ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

srdb20 wrote:
    but i want to learn to do some scripting and possibly learn some form of a programming language....
    What type of projects do you think you'll be dealing with? What tools/OS/stuff are you familar with?

I'm a big fan of perl. Useful for writing web CGI scripts and regular console scripts. It works on all platforms (where as Microsoft tools won't).
    srdb20 wrote:
    Whats the most practical and bst language to learn?
    The answer is very subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

PHP would be a good place for you to start.
    Reasoning: syntax is nice, well-documented (+lots of examples), it's flexible, portable, and mixes with HTML quite nicely.

Do you have a broadband connection?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sean_or99

If you are using windows then wamp is the best place to get php running. It should set you up with the latest versions of php, mysql and apache.

Ruby though would be my choice for beginners. As its guiding philosophy is "principle of least surprise" its makes it a very easy and ultimately intuitive language to learn.

The online book Programming Ruby (newer version is in the shops) is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

C is nice, and it's a proper language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Cheers for the replies lads

Do you think it'll be difficult to learn? Any particular books for beginners?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

if u can master C u can do almost all languages as they all follow the C syntax
    but things like pointers confuss the sh.it out of most people
    they r difficult to learn but it u keep doing examples and practice programming u will soon have it :)

/edit spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Whats the best book(s) if any to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

if you have broadband there are a number of tutorials online that will take you step by step. If you still want a book I'd go with with a beginners one since you have done no programming before. The ones produced by WROX, red with photos of people and language as title, come in beginner, intermediate and professional. Nice big ones. link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Ruby or Perl would be handy - easy enough to get into, and practical right off the bat (particularly if you're in network administration). Plus they can tie in with your HTML experience. PHP is nice as well, but if it's your first language, it might get you used to bad habits.

C is a good start if you're serious about programming. The knowledge you'll pick up learning C will stand to you in any modern (and future) language and there's buckets of information on anything you could possibly want to know about C easily available online courtesy of people with decades of experience.

I quite like the Wrox, Sams and O'Reilly ranges of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Have a look on the WWW for some very basic intro's / tutorials (Www.devshed.com perhaps)
    Book:
    Sams -- PHP, MySQL and Apache in 24 Hours; good enough for an all-round starter.
    Or one of those quickstart visual guide things :)

Pop down to a bookshop and read through a few (Particularly Sams), and see which grabs you/suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Download one of the microsoft express visual studio IDE's, they have plenty of step-by-step tutorials on simiple programming. I would suggest the express visual web developer as you can use both ASP and C#. Also it will allow you to get something working quickly thus keeping your interest. Although some may say the only way to learn programming correctly is too use a text editor and debug yourself..ah well.
    Some would be correct. Having the programming environment holding your hand isn't the best way to start out.

A lot of the time this debate comes up, I have seen recommendations for Python. Its not something I have played with much myself, so I can't really comment on it though, although some of the documentation around it looks quite good. Their beginners guide is here.

Advertisement