Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with line test if taking your number to a new house?

Options
  • 04-01-2006 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

We used to live out in the countryside and moved house and got our number to follow us. At the time Eircom said it wasn't possible to take your number with you, but we kept chasing them and they eventually moved it. As far as I'm aware we've moved into an area where the people around us are at a DSL enabled exchange (Fermoy), but we may still be registered at our old exchange (to get the forwarding working or whatever). Is there a way to tell for sure which exchange you are connected through?

It's a new house with new wiring etc, but it's failed the broadband test. Other people who live nearby passed. Might this be because of the number moving (I'm not sure if they forward it or something)? Is our only hope to order another line and hope that it works? Obviously we'd prefer not to have to pay for two lines, or change our number, but I can't see anything else we can do. Boo hoo.

I thought there used be a sticky somewhere which had suggestions somewhere in it, but I can't see anything now. Can we ask eircom about line splitting, or anything else which might indicate why the line may have failed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Try the Smart line checker here:
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/broadband.php
    It tells you what exchange you're connected to.
    Your line may be failing because it's a new line and hasn't been tested yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Ahh, handy. I noticed that the person who passes on the eircom site fails on the smarttelecom site. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Drakar wrote:
    Ahh, handy. I noticed that the person who passes on the eircom site fails on the smarttelecom site. Weird.
    Thats because Smart BB is only available from a very limited number of exchanges. Smart use their own equipment not Eircoms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the OLD number at your NEW house should show a test result on the line checker here http://www.netsource.ie/#

Advertisement