Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN through Linksys WRT54G

• 04-01-2006 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Is this possible through the Linksys WRT54G router

Im trying the set up a VPN connection between my self and another house in Dublin 2. I have read a couple of tutorial on the the Net but the option dont seem to be there on the router.

Is there any other way to create the tunnel, ive download SSH Secure shell and have been trying the work through that, but not to sure how to use it

Or would it be that Clearwire block VPN aswell!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

clearwire allegedly block VPN. Try bringing the WRT54G and your laptop to a hosue with DSL, get it working there and then it _should_ work the same plugged into the clearwire box when you switch it over, at least you can bring them around with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Can you give a few more details on your setup, i.e what VPN software/hardware at the end points? The WRT54G supports IPsec pass-through. I'm fairly sure I ran IPsec VPN tunnels over Clearwire without any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

My set up is XP going through a Linksys WRT54G router to the net and my mates house is the same setup he's on clearwire aswell.

I was looking up how to do it last night on
    http://www.homenethelp.com/vpn/router-linksys.asp but when i got home I noticed I have a different router

So I also looked at http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=4433.
    I have the dyndns account set up and regestered on the router under DDNS but I cant create the VPN tunnel on the router as I dont see any option on the router to set it up.

The only option I see on the router is to enable IPSec Passthrough , PPTP Passthrough , L2TP Passthrough

You need a router that supports IPsec termination. The WRT54G does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've setup openvpn following the online documentation which is very simple. but effective and secure. All you need to do is open up port 1492 or whatever you want on the firewall and forward it to the machine running openvpn on each end.

you do need a fixed ip address on one end at least but dyndns might work.

I also use Draytek Vigor (dsl)routers for hardware vpn connectivity which are excellent and reasonably priced.

• Advertisement

YEs thanks for the reply Blester, I know the next linksys up supports VPN, hindsight!!!
    I've setup openvpn following the online documentation which is very simple. but effective and secure. All you need to do is open up port 1492 or whatever you want on the firewall and forward it to the machine running openvpn on each end.

you do need a fixed ip address on one end at least but dyndns might work.

Sure I might try this later, by the looks of it it might work, thanks for that.
    I wonder would remote desktop work, might look into it also

What is it that you're trying to achieve? VPN is useful for secure client-to-LAN or LAN-to-LAN connectivity, but if you just want to hook up two machines securely you can use ssh and tunnel the specific ports you want to access, like Remote Desktop. There are a few ssh versions available for Windows, all based on scaled down versions of Cygwin.

If you don't care about security, Remote Desktop will work straight out of the box so long as you open the correct port in the remote firewall and map it to the machine you want to access. Sorry I can't remember the port for Remote Desktop, just google for it.

there are files on his computer that I need to access and we discussed as trying to get a VPN tunnell between ourselves.

As you say im not worried about security, just accessing his Pc accross the internet. but i would have like to get the VPN working all the same.

Thanks for all the help

Install an FTP server on the remote machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 corepl

Blaster99 wrote:
    You need a router that supports IPsec termination. The WRT54G does not.

Wrong Wrong Wrong. WRT54G is a great router.
    It's based on linux and there is plenty of third party firmwares that can turn this little black box into very powerfull Acess Point.

Just have a look at linksysinfo.org

• Advertisement
Advertisement