Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nissan Tv Ad

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

trishw78 wrote:
    your the only dragging us back to that subject that's not what I'm commenting on Kilkenny is passed over and forgotten about just as much as Waterford as is Tipperary as is Leitrim as is Rosscommon should I go on.

The point is your ALL a little hypersensitive.

No Trish. Not the same argument. There are FIVE cities in this country. One was deliberately excluded by Nissan. I don't see other towns mentioned so why should kilkenny complain (but they're also entitled to - and good luck to them;) )

I realise I'm being castigated by others for being 'childish' and 'who gives a'. It is precisely that type of mentality that has Waterford City as it is. Sit back and ignore everything. Let the world roll by. I'd rather be out there fighting for the City's profile (including on adverts) as opposed to vegetating.:)

Cabaal wrote:
    Well I'm from Kilkenny (living in waterford) and I'm laughing at how childish this whole thread is :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v:

Ah it's OK Cabaal. We make allowances for people from there.:p :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MaddyDv

Em, a quick queston. Does anyone have the link for the Nissan advert? I'm interestes as to what it is like. I know it doesnt include Waterford but em so what? Are you expecting to name all 26....oh sorry 32 counties. Its only an advert!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

MaddyDv wrote:
    Em, a quick queston. Does anyone have the link for the Nissan advert? I'm interestes as to what it is like. I know it doesnt include Waterford but em so what? Are you expecting to name all 26....oh sorry 32 counties. Its only an advert!

No, just all 5 cities, since they mentioned the other 4. If they named 25 counties, I would have expected them to name the 26th, and if 31 counties were named, I would have expected them to name the whole 32.

To name all but one is to exclude. Nobody likes to be excluded, not even on a Nissan ad.

MaddyDv wrote:

Em...if you read the post you will see the OP mentions that only four of the five national cities are mentioned.......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

merlante wrote:
    No, just all 5 cities, since they mentioned the other 4. If they named 25 counties, I would have expected them to name the 26th, and if 31 counties were named, I would have expected them to name the whole 32.

To name all but one is to exclude. Nobody likes to be excluded, not even on a Nissan ad.

Well said.:)

Just as a token illustration of why this phenomenon is bad for Waterford:
    (I don't really give a damn about Nissan, but I do give a damn about quality public transport!)

Draft rail strategy suggests need for Luas lines in regional cities
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2006/0110/1349911872HM7CORKLUAS.html

Draft rail strategy suggests need for Luas lines in regional cities
    Frank McDonald, Environment Editor

Cork, Limerick and Galway should get their own versions of Luas, according to a draft light rail investment strategy prepared by the Railway Procurement Agency.

Coming to a city near you?

How Luas might look

in Cork, Limerick

and Galway

Galway: Shop St

Limerick: O'Connell St

The document, released under the Freedom of Information Act, says it is now increasingly recognised that traffic congestion is not a phenomenon unique to Dublin, but an "everyday reality in all of Ireland's cities and many of its large towns".

Saying congestion "can only be addressed through the delivery of high quality public transport", the agency says it will "identify the opportunities to develop light rail in the regional cities of Cork, Galway and Limerick where that need exists in the period to 2008".

According to its draft strategy, "this may involve the delivery of strategic light rail studies for each of these cities" to complement existing and proposed transportation strategies, land use proposals and local area plans drawn up by the relevant local authorities.

The document points out that trams are operating successfully in several small- to medium-sized cities in Europe such as Grenoble (population 160,000), Orleans (120,000), St Etienne (185,000), Baden-Baden (55,000), Bonn (310,000) and Utrecht (270,000).

The agency's draft strategy envisages that light rail projects could be developed for Cork, Limerick and Galway through a mixture of Exchequer funding and development levy, similar to the way the planned extension of Luas from Sandyford to Cherrywood is being funded.

While conceding that light rail outside Dublin was not in the Government's Transport 21 programme, a spokesman for the Rail Procurement Agency said yesterday: "If the local authorities were to contact us in the morning about it, we would be happy to talk to them about its feasibility."

However, a spokesman for the Department of Transport said that although installing light rail systems in the regional cities was "not a priority project" under Transport 21, "that's not to rule it out for the future. But obviously a lot more work would need to be done".

Meanwhile, a rail transport researcher has drawn up a number of route options for a low-cost Luas type system for Galway city and its surrounds.
    According to Brian Guckian's Luas local lines national light rail development framework, the new routes could be built for as little as €1.5 million per kilometre.

Road schemes can cost more than €10 million per kilometre.

Mr Guckian's proposal says several route options are being looked at, including an initial two-way network running from Knocknacarra and Rahoon to Oranmore.
    The second proposed line would run from Eyre Square to Newcastle and on to Moycullen, and there would be an interchange between the two lines just north of the university.

The Luas local lines initiative aims to bring low-cost light rail to Irish towns and cities, making use of the existing Iarnród Éireann transport system.
    As well as carrying passengers, the proposed system could also be used for freight, with depots located outside towns for freight to be removed.

Unlike the Luas, the service could be laid on a ballast at the side of the road rather than embedding tracks in roads. Because of its flexibility it can follow contours and sharp curves when crossing through land.

Mr Guckian said extensions could take in Headford and Salthill, and the final shape of any system would be a matter for public consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I was thinking of you merlante when I heard this in at the 6am news this morning.

& I'll be honest my first reaction was. Typical Waterford forgotten about again.

I don't see why they don't build a parking facility in Ferrybank and bring back the Ferry across the river.

Please don't attack me for suggesting a Development plan for Ferrybank half of it is in Waterford after all

trishw78 wrote:
    I was thinking of you merlante when I heard this in at the 6am news this morning.

& I'll be honest my first reaction was. Typical Waterford forgotten about again.

I don't see why they don't build a parking facility in Ferrybank and bring back the Ferry across the river.

Please don't attack me for suggesting a Development plan for Ferrybank half of it is in Waterford after all

It was on other news sources as well? :(

That was always the point that some people were making on this thread: if the profile of the city is poor enough to get it left out of Nissan ads, then the chances are it is poor enough for it to be left out of more important things...

I would never attack you for making suggestions about Ferrybank. I consider all of Ferrybank an extension of Waterford city, regardless of whether it's in Kilkenny or not. I even though there could be a Luas line going out there! ;)
    http://getyourgo.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?t=373

btw., I think parking in Ferrybank, with a passenger ferry bringing people back and forth in to the city is a brilliant idea. Would be ideal for busy Saturdays in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Do you honestly think a tram system would work in Waterford? I don't think Waterford is a large enough city or has any great urban sprawl that would make it feasible to have a tram in operation.

I could see it happening in Cork alright, but that's because of the vast amount of residential towns around the city...Douglas, Bishopstown, Ballincollig, Blackpool...and the entire Northside. I don't think that Waterford needs a tram and that article in no way can be considered anti-Waterford or whatever. The reasoning put forward for tram's in Galway & Cork is logical, a tram system for a small city isn't (i am surprised that Limerick is in there, but i'm not too familar with the city tbh)

• Advertisement

merlante wrote:
    That was always the point that some people were making on this thread: if the profile of the city is poor enough to get it left out of Nissan ads, then the chances are it is poor enough for it to be left out of more important things...

Exactly.......and now it's happening (again).:mad: :mad: :mad:

Do you honestly think a tram system would work in Waterford? I don't think Waterford is a large enough city or has any great urban sprawl that would make it feasible to have a tram in operation.

I could see it happening in Cork alright, but that's because of the vast amount of residential towns around the city...Douglas, Bishopstown, Ballincollig, Blackpool...and the entire Northside. I don't think that Waterford needs a tram and that article in no way can be considered anti-Waterford or whatever. The reasoning put forward for tram's in Galway & Cork is logical, a tram system for a small city isn't (i am surprised that Limerick is in there, but i'm not too familar with the city tbh)

Okay, some of your post is bizarre. For a start, Galway is only a small bit larger than Waterford. Secondly, Limerick is a larger city than Galway :confused:. Cork, fair enough, is much larger than the other three.

I don't see how having trams in Galway is logical and having trams in Waterford is not. If anything the argument for Waterford is slightly better if you were to run something out to Tramore or go over the bridge. You can check the satellite footprints of the cities with google maps.

The article is anti-Waterford (clearly) because it talks about trams in the regional cities, and doesn't mention Waterford. I would accept this if Waterford was considerably smaller than Limerick or Galway, but this simply isin't the case.

Having said that, maybe trams in Galway and Waterford are a while off yet, especially at the price that was paid for the Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not anti-Waterford, it did'nt even think about Waterford, that's negligence. Not bias.

Anyway its a crook of sh1te, no Luas system would be viable here as a the population could'nt support the cost of investment and b, there is only one potential route it could work from a techincal point of view - from the quay to the WIT/industrial eatste. Everywhere else is too hilly. Cork is also badly compromised by its topography. Limerick is pretty flat, dunno Galway at all.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mullanimal

All this makes me angry at our government for not helping Waterford over the years when Waterford crystal money made so much for this country...

If anyone from Galway visits Waterford they can't get over the size of Waterford city.... the length of the quay and how far back the city goes.... Waterford isn't a housing estate built in the last 50 years it is a city for over 1000 years...

Now you take in tramore, south kilkenny and surrounding towns in a 10 mile radius, those towns feeding off Waterford and you have a city of nearly 100,000 remember tramore has a population of over 10,000, the kilkenny suburbs arouund the north waterford banks is around 12% of county kilkennny and then there's kilmeaden and all the other seaside towsn like woodstown, dunmore etc. etc.

Waterford is not a small place but it has a small voice for some reason? It's people? It's representation? Whatever the reason it has been kept secret for some reason, yet things are happening... investment in appartments is mental and that small bit of land sold for 45Million... something big is going to happen soon... not sure what...

Anyway, I run www.upthedeise.com a website dedicated to Waterford people... it is a gathering of Waterford people who care and we have written articles to local papers about what can be done about things etc.

If you love Waterford and want to talk to others that do too sure pay it an oul visit... loads of jokes and pics too and sure the old bit of craic...

Forget those that forget us and be proud that you are from Waterford... when people see how proud we are of our fantastic city and county and see that we believe in it, they will too...

Show me another county with the boasts we have:

Show me a nicer naturally beautiful beach than tramore
    Show me another lake in the country like coumshingaun
    Show me a nicer waterfall than the mahon falls
    Show me an older city with more history
    Can anyone else say they invented the Irish flag
    Can anyone else say one of theirs started paddy's day
    Is there a viking find more historic in the world ever

the list goes on and one...

One day the rest of the country will realise what we have.

Until then enjoy it lads because we have it all to ourselves right now (well mostly except for Tramore is swamped in the summer by Dubs now)

UpTheDeise Lads!!

Say it once say it loud, I'm Blaa and I'm proud!

remember http://www.upthedeise.com

and for de bit of craic here's a link to some gowlbagging waterford songs:
    http://www.upthedeise.com/utd2005/waterford-craic/waterford-mp3s.htm

mike65 wrote:
    Its not anti-Waterford, it did'nt even think about Waterford, that's negligence. Not bias.

Anyway its a crook of sh1te, no Luas system would be viable here as a the population could'nt support the cost of investment and b, there is only one potential route it could work from a techincal point of view - from the quay to the WIT/industrial eatste. Everywhere else is too hilly. Cork is also badly compromised by its topography. Limerick is pretty flat, dunno Galway at all.

Mike.

Fair enough, I'll go for negligence over bias. I said at the start that it was a bad profile thing.

Again, people may think that Waterford is not big enough to have a Luas. I'm not arguing one way or the other per se. What I'm saying is that Waterford is almost as big as Galway, and if they have costed a Luas system for Galway, and they reckon it would pay off, then it should be more or less the same case for Waterford.

I think if you could only have one route, you'd have Dunmore rd - City Centre - WIT - Estate. Considering most people live on the Dunmore rd, shop in the centre, go to college in WIT, or work on the estate, means that this could easily be a cost effective route. If you could add another, I'll go from Tramore - Airport - Kilcohan - Ballytruckle - City Centre - Ferrybank. Hey, I can dream. :D

tbh... just reading over the last few posts about a tram type system in Waterford reminds of a speech Martin Cullen gave at the opening of the WORR he was taking about a waterford of the future "his vision of what waterford should be like" with a motor way to Dublin and a third bridge to complete the outer ring road, If I remember he was also taking about a luas type thing in waterford & dedicated bus lanes now don't quote me but it's a vague recollection and I wasn't really listening.

I say bring back the Waterford-Tramore rail line

trishw78 wrote:
    tbh... just reading over the last few posts about a tram type system in Waterford reminds of a speech Martin Cullen gave at the opening of the WORR he was taking about a waterford of the future "his vision of what waterford should be like" with a motor way to Dublin and a third bridge to complete the outer ring road, If I remember he was also taking about a luas type thing in waterford & dedicated bus lanes now don't quote me but it's a vague recollection and I wasn't really listening.

I say bring back the Waterford-Tramore rail line

Indeed, bring back the Tramore line. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

merlante wrote:
    I think if you could only have one route, you'd have Dunmore rd - City Centre - WIT - Estate. Considering most people live on the Dunmore rd, shop in the centre, go to college in WIT, or work on the estate, means that this could easily be a cost effective route. If you could add another, I'll go from Tramore - Airport - Kilcohan - Ballytruckle - City Centre - Ferrybank. Hey, I can dream. :D
    Yeah - the Dunmore Rd is one of the busiest roads in Ireland and a tram system could go some way towards helping even if it was built along side the river. At least the trams could run on time unlike the bus services.

And one more, interesting, bit of history - guess which side the jackeens were on at the Battle of Clontarf. :)

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote:
    Yeah - the Dunmore Rd is one of the busiest roads in Ireland and a tram system could go some way towards helping even if it was built along side the river. At least the trams could run on time unlike the bus services.

And one more, interesting, bit of history - guess which side the jackeens were on at the Battle of Clontarf. :)

Regards...jmcc

In other cities around Europe, trams are considered reasonably cheap transport, but in Ireland they have been (the Luas) very expensive to bring in. And in fairness the trams on the Dublin Luas are state of the art. If, as the report hints at, trams can be run/bought/tracks put down considerably cheaper than the Dublin case, then they might quite cost effective.

For example, trams ran in Cork at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries. At the time that city had a population of 75,000, and the local economy wouldn't have been brilliant. It had 3 lines. Waterford has a population of over 50,000 (Tramore has another 8,500) and a bustling economy that would generate far more congestion/people movement/cash/tourists, etc. than any of the regional cities in 1900. Based on that, it seems we could have two lines: a Dunmore rd. - Centre - WIT - Estate line and a Tramore - Airport - Centre - Ferrybank.

HOWEVER, this could only happen if the cost of rolling out trams was considerably less than the cost of rolling out the Luas!

Incidentally, the Cork lines closed, as well as the Dublin ones, because the private car started to gain prevalence. However, we have now reached the stage where there are too many private cars on streets designed for people traffic in a bygone era. So if lack of transport was the impetus for trams before, maybe congestion will be the new impetus. As someone who uses the Luas all the time in Dublin, it's a lot easier than looking for parking, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

trishw78 wrote:
    dedicated bus lanes

if he said that i'd like to know how the streets of Waterford could accommodate the idea of bus lanes

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote:
    if he said that i'd like to know how the streets of Waterford could accommodate the idea of bus lanes

Could only be Quay, Mall, Parnell St., Manor St., Cork Rd. really. Or possibly the outer ring road -- although I couldn't see that being popular. :)

Mossy Monk wrote:
    I and everyone at my table at up and scratched your heads as did everyone else that day, & wondered how he was planning on doing it. the other solution is to make the city centre a no go area for cars and have it pedestrianised.

Oh no wait that's what there doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

trishw78 wrote:
    Oh no wait that's what there doing

are they? when do they plan on completing this?

mullanimal wrote:
    Anyway, I run www.upthedeise.com a website dedicated to Waterford people... it is a gathering of Waterford people who care and we have written articles to local papers about what can be done about things etc.

Compliments on an excellent Waterford website!:D

mullanimal wrote:
    All this makes me angry at our government for not helping Waterford over the years when Waterford crystal money made so much for this country...

If anyone from Galway visits Waterford they can't get over the size of Waterford city.... the length of the quay and how far back the city goes.... Waterford isn't a housing estate built in the last 50 years it is a city for over 1000 years...

It all comes back to the Nissan ad mentality. Call it negligence or whatever. We're still being ignored and it's up to us to change it.:mad:

Freddie59 wrote:
    It all comes back to the Nissan ad mentality. Call it negligence or whatever. We're still being ignored and it's up to us to change it.:mad:

MARCH on Dail Eireann it's the popular thing to to do :D

trishw78 wrote:

Here we go, here we go!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

trishw78 wrote:

hehe...I'm around a 5 min walk from the Dail here in my office....see ye there :D

D&#233 wrote: »
    hehe...I'm around a 5 min walk from the Dail here in my office....see ye there :D

If you make it a Monday or Wednesday, I'd be there too. Have to pass Leinster house actually, where Charlie Bird, or someone, is often doing a report for 6-1. I often feel the urge the push him out of the way and launch a televised tirade against Nissan leaving Waterford in the cold in their ads! :D

• Advertisement

merlante wrote:
    If you make it a Monday or Wednesday, I'd be there too. Have to pass Leinster house actually, where Charlie Bird, or someone, is often doing a report for 6-1. I often feel the urge the push him out of the way and launch a televised tirade against Nissan leaving Waterford in the cold in their ads! :D

Good on ya! Give him one for ME!:D

Advertisement