Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

portsmouth begin their financial revolution

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

He was there on trial but they hadn't the cash I think. Looks like they do now. Him and Lua-Lua could make a good team.

I wonder how many of Perrin's dreadful signings will be shipped out bi big 'Arry this January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Hilariously, Emanuel Olisadebe is the player that Mick McCarthy voted for as his number three choice in the World Player of the Year in 2001! He was entitled to a vote as all international managers are. Louis Van Gaal was the only man to opt for Roy Keane who was at his peak then. McCarthy was not allowed vote for Keane because you cant vote for your own players.

http://www.fifa.com/events/playergala/2001/results/wp2001cm.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Nunu wrote:
    McCarthy was not allowed vote for Keane because you cant vote for your own players.

:rolleyes: yeah thats the reason! great linkage there, didnt think they would release that kinda information about a poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Does anyone else see Perrin being shipped out this summer? With a transfer kitty of a hundred million, you could attract a lot of top quality managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

PHB wrote:
    Does anyone else see Perrin being shipped out this summer? With a transfer kitty of a hundred million, you could attract a lot of top quality managers.

o_O

You mean 'Arry surely! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

I remember seeing Olisadebe play a couple of years ago. Looked like a good enough player, same sort of player as Yakubu big, quick and strong. Hopefully he will be the first of many good signings under the new Russian revolution at Pompey.

Have any of you guys seen this guy Benjani, that Pompey are interested in, play? At £4.1m he must be alright but the fact that only Pompey and Wigan seem to be interested makes me a bit dubious.

As for Harry being shipped out, cant see it happening after everything that happened to get him back. Then again anything is possible at Pompey with Mandaric there!

Pompey for the League next season!! (Premier league before any of you saints supporters make a smart comment!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Paper have it, think it is the Sun so take with pinch of Salt

10million move for Cudicini and Benni McCarthy

Think the rags will start to take advantage of Pompey supposed to have millions of money and link any player they can think of with them. Seeing as Pompey transfer record is 1.8million I can't see them spending 10 million on 2 players which could still mean they go down at the end of season. Harry has already said he aint wastign money if he thinks they are going down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

PHB wrote:

Oopsy! Welcome to 2006!
    BillyBoy wrote:
    Pompey for the League next season!! (Premier league before any of you saints supporters make a smart comment!)

Yeah, good look with that mate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Olisadebe is a good player big fast and gets goals. Son of a polish miner 5th generation or so ;)

If he gets service he will score goals in the PL just when good strikers go to bottom half teams they get no service.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

:rolleyes: yeah thats the reason! great linkage there, didnt think they would release that kinda information about a poll.
    They always do. This years:

http://www.fifa.com/documents/fifa/events/FWPG05_01_votes_coaches_men_final.xls
    http://www.fifa.com/documents/fifa/events/FWPG05_01_votes_coaches_men_final.xls

• Advertisement

On a not-so-unrelated note, Laurent Robert has left English football for Portugal, joining Benfica from Newcastle after Pompey agreed to cut his loan deal short.

I'll miss his efforts, but thats about all I'll miss.

Should be able to play for Benfica vs Liverpool in the CL now.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    On a not-so-unrelated note, Laurent Robert has left English football for Portugal, joining Benfica from Newcastle after Pompey agreed to cut his loan deal short.

I'll miss his efforts, but thats about all I'll miss.

Should be able to play for Benfica vs Liverpool in the CL now.

Did you see Big 'Arry's reaction to Robert's free-kick on Monday night? Said it all really. Robert tried to shoot from about the half-way line and blazed it over. Harry looked ready to throttle him.

Lemlin wrote:
    Did you see Big 'Arry's reaction to Robert's free-kick on Monday night? Said it all really. Robert tried to shoot from about the half-way line and blazed it over. Harry looked ready to throttle him.

Class. Tens of thousands of Saints fans feel the same about Harry these days! Hope Olisadebe flops and this billionaire dude leaves them in a mess.

I'd like to see Pompey do well. They have great fans. Remember last season I think it was when they were losing 4-0 to Chelsea in the pissing rain in the Cup and they kept on singing.

Could spell trouble for West Brom and Fulham though. My tips at the start of the season to go down were Fulham, Sunderland and Pompey. I think Pompey will stay up now that they have some decent management.

Lemlin wrote:
    I'd like to see Pompey do well. They have great fans. Remember last season I think it was when they were losing 4-0 to Chelsea in the pissing rain in the Cup and they kept on singing.

Could spell trouble for West Brom and Fulham though. My tips at the start of the season to go down were Fulham, Sunderland and Pompey. I think Pompey will stay up now that they have some decent management.

Was against Arsenal, where played off the pitch for the majority of the game. Was on BBC because FA Cup. They where cheering Henry off and he couldn't believe it.

Some news on other striker

Portsmouth target Benjani Mwaruwari has revealed he would prefer a move to Fratton Park ahead of joining Wigan or Marseille.

Pompey made what was understood to be a club record bid for the Auxerre striker earlier this week, offering around £4million.

The Zimbabwe international feels he is no longer wanted at Auxerre under former Spurs manager Jacques Santini, who replaced Guy Roux in June last year.

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has shown a strong interest in Mwaruwari, particularly as it would appear there is cash to spend this month in the transfer window.

The imminent arrival of multi-millionaire Alexandre Gaydamak as joint owner of Portsmouth alongside chairman Milan Mandaric should assist Redknapp in his quest to strengthen a squad lacking in quality.

Mwaruwari has confirmed his agent has received enquiries from Pompey, Wigan and Marseille, but it is the Premiership relegation strugglers who are looking the most likely to land the 27-year-old.

"Although I signed a four-year contract four months ago, I think the Auxerre board wants to sell me," said Mwaruwari, who has scored 19 goals in 72 matches for Auxerre - including one in last year's 2-1 French Cup triumph over Sedan.

Speaking to BBC African Football, he added: "Portsmouth and Marseille are showing the greater interest.

"There is nothing on the table as yet. We are just waiting to hear, but Portsmouth would be best for me because I speak English, while I'm still struggling with my French."

Lots of fans sing when they are 4-0 down. I remember when I was at Goodison, the Southampton fans sang consistently for 45 minutes away to Everton when 4-1 down a few years back.

Wasn't pissing rain though.

Pompey do have good support, I have to hand it to them. They don't really deserve the liars they have in charge. They're welcome to them though.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Lots of fans sing when they are 4-0 down. I remember when I was at Goodison, the Southampton fans sang consistently for 45 minutes away to Everton when 4-1 down a few years back.

Wasn't pissing rain though.

Pompey do have good support, I have to hand it to them. They don't really deserve the liars they have in charge. They're welcome to them though.

Ahh the bitter fan;) still Southampton are no angels. How many mangers in the last 9 seasons or so? One thing I was happy about thou was the sacking of Sturrock:D Thanks

We're just as bad, if not worse!

Still, the actions of our duck-murdering chairman shouldn't reflect on the fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Nunu wrote:
    Hilariously, Emanuel Olisadebe is the player that Mick McCarthy voted for as his number three choice in the World Player of the Year in 2001! He was entitled to a vote as all international managers are. Louis Van Gaal was the only man to opt for Roy Keane who was at his peak then. McCarthy was not allowed vote for Keane because you cant vote for your own players.

http://www.fifa.com/events/playergala/2001/results/wp2001cm.pdf

that year olisadebe was playing for me at lens, he scored about 40 goals.mick must have been watching my championship manager success and voted for him...
    he was probably thinking the same when he signed john stead...

Portsmouth have swooped to land Zimbabwe international Benjani Mwaruwari for £4.1million, according to BBC Radio Solent.

Pompey are reported to have agreed a club record fee for the 27-year-old Auxerre striker subject to him passing a medical.

"He's quick and strong, can play and join in with other people," Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp told the radio station.

"I spoke to Arsene Wenger about him last week. He told me if you can get him, get the next plane over there and bring him back."

Mwaruwari had earlier revealed he would prefer a move to Fratton Park ahead of joining Wigan or Marseille.

"Although I signed a four-year contract four months ago, I think the Auxerre board wants to sell me," said Mwaruwari, who has scored 19 goals in 72 matches for Auxerre - including one in last year's 2-1 French Cup triumph over Sedan.

Speaking to BBC African Football, he added: "Portsmouth and Marseille are showing the greater interest.

"We are just waiting to hear, but Portsmouth would be best for me because I speak English, while I'm still struggling with my French."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Big Nelly wrote:
    "We are just waiting to hear, but Portsmouth would be best for me because I speak English, while I'm still struggling with my French."

I know that Paul Jewells scouser accent can be a bit hard to understand but surely it still counts as English??

Hopefully a good signing for Pompey although if Arsene Wenger thinks he is so good why wasn't he bidding for him?

Anybody seen this guy play? Is he any good and what sort of player is he i.e. poacher/creator etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Interesting press conference with Alexander Gaydamak and Milan Mandaric this morning. When Mandaric was probed about his future, it really sounded like he was hinting at passing the torch to Gaydamak. He talked about how young he was, and when his 'mission' was one day complete the club would be in good hands. He seems like a strong character, I wonder if the two can work together in harmony. Should be interesting months ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

eirebhoy wrote:
    Look at all the drogba votes on that, can anyone who has ever seen him try to play football call him one of the world's top3 players, as so many managers have

Advertisement