Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games in Hosted?

Options
  • 04-01-2006 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Why are there Game forums in 'Hosted'?
    It is stupid. If i was looking for a Dawn Of War forum i would look in Games and would probably end up posting a Thread about it instead of using The Forum.It is the Same with Operation Flashpoint. I have tried to get OP.Flash moved numerous times to no avail. Why are there games in Hosted?I think that they should be moved to Games.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Generally speaking they are forums that did not get enough support and were put into hosted to see if they grow.

While they don't seem to have grown hugely, it could be argued that this is because they are not in the main Games Heirarchy. It could also be argued that people have lost interest in them having moved on to other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

amp wrote:
    Generally speaking they are forums that did not get enough support and were put into hosted to see if they grow.

While they don't seem to have grown hugely, it could be argued that this is because they are not in the main Games Heirarchy. It could also be argued that people have lost interest in them having moved on to other games.

I think that there is no point to put them in Hosted to see if they will grow. This is pointless. If there are new members who join and are interested in one of the forums in question. They will probably not find them

I feel that the forums in question should be moved to the games section and see what happens.even if they arn't uses that much, either are a lot of the other forums in the games section.

Timans wrote:
    I think that there is no point to put them in Hosted to see if they will grow. This is pointless. If there are new members who join and are interested in one of the forums in question. They will probably not find them

You're new, you found them.
    I feel that the forums in question should be moved to the games section and see what happens.even if they arn't uses that much, either are a lot of the other forums in the games section.

So you're argument is that some of the existing forums in the Games cat aren't used that much. This doesn't really tie in with your theory that moving them to the Games Cat would increase their usage.

amp wrote:
    You're new, you found them.

So you're argument is that some of the existing forums in the Games cat aren't used that much. This doesn't really tie in with your theory that moving them to the Games Cat would increase their usage.

I ain't that new. I have been a member since the summer.

The usage of the forums will definitely go up if they are moved to Games. I was just pointing out,that saying ' They arn't used enough as it is' isn't really worth saying as a lot of the forums in games aren't really used that much. I think that Operation Flashpoint forum would be very handy for finding Mods for the game aswell as organising games. It would also help people with troubleshooting problems. It might not be posted in very often but it just being there would be very helpful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Timans wrote:

The usage of the forums will definitely go up if they are moved to Games. I was just pointing out,that saying ' They arn't used enough as it is' isn't really worth saying as a lot of the forums in games aren't really used that much. I think that Operation Flashpoint forum would be very handy for finding Mods for the game aswell as organising games. It would also help people with troubleshooting problems. It might not be posted in very often but it just being there would be very helpful.

Let's just say a new user comes along and wants to talk more about Operation Flashpoint. If they didn't think to look in Hosted, or do a site search, they would look in Games and see the Games forum. They would then post in Games and either their question/comment would be catered for or someone would point out that an Operation Flashpoint forum exists and they would get a better response there. I doubt there are many people who don't use boards.ie because there isn't a Dawn of War forum under the Games Cat.
    Besides that the Games Cat has probably the longest menu going, and it doesn't really need more forums added to it.
    If an Irish Dawn of War fan wanted to chat about the game, they'd be sensible enough to google Dawn of War forum, or something similar.

• Advertisement

flogen wrote:
    Let's just say a new user comes along and wants to talk more about Operation Flashpoint. If they didn't think to look in Hosted, or do a site search, they would look in Games and see the Games forum. They would then post in Games and either their question/comment would be catered for or someone would point out that an Operation Flashpoint forum exists and they would get a better response there. I doubt there are many people who don't use boards.ie because there isn't a Dawn of War forum under the Games Cat.
    Besides that the Games Cat has probably the longest menu going, and it doesn't really need more forums added to it.
    If an Irish Dawn of War fan wanted to chat about the game, they'd be sensible enough to google Dawn of War forum, or something similar.

What's the point of having uneccesary posts in the games forum when you can simply move the Op.Flash or Dawn Of War forum to Games?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Timans wrote:
    What's the point of having uneccesary posts in the games forum when you can simply move the Op.Flash or Dawn Of War forum to Games?

They're not unneccessary, nor are they unwanted. The games forum still covers all the games and consoles, not just the ones that don't have their own forum. It's just that you might get a better answer in the specific forum, and they're better for certain games such as online.

If the Games forum banned the discussion of xbox, nintendo, ps2 and all other games with forums (and PC's because they kind of have their own forum too), there'd be nothing to talk about.

Timans wrote:

Welcome to Boards!
    The usage of the forums will definitely go up if they are moved to Games.

How do you know this? I don't know this and I've been on boards for years!
    I was just pointing out,that saying ' They arn't used enough as it is' isn't really worth saying as a lot of the forums in games aren't really used that much. I think that Operation Flashpoint forum would be very handy for finding Mods for the game aswell as organising games. It would also help people with troubleshooting problems. It might not be posted in very often but it just being there would be very helpful.

TBH I just don't think that many people actually play OpFlash any more. Most people tend to play Battlefield, Call of Duty and Counterstrike. Moving the forum isn't going to change that. Likewise Dawn of War really only appeals to Warhammer 4k fans which, despite living with two of them, are not exactly a huge percentage of boards' gaming population. Now that's my opinion, I could be wrong. Maybe it would be a good approach to have all the games forums in the Games Cat just to be tidier.

P.s. Can't help wondering why you're so interested in forums that you've never posted to. Ever.

amp wrote:
    Welcome to Boards!

How do you know this? I don't know this and I've been on boards for years!

TBH I just don't think that many people actually play OpFlash any more. Most people tend to play Battlefield, Call of Duty and Counterstrike. Moving the forum isn't going to change that. Likewise Dawn of War really only appeals to Warhammer 4k fans which, despite living with two of them, are not exactly a huge percentage of boards' gaming population. Now that's my opinion, I could be wrong. Maybe it would be a good approach to have all the games forums in the Games Cat just to be tidier.

P.s. Can't help wondering why you're so interested in forums that you've never posted to. Ever.

Thanks for the Welcome:D

Obviously i don't know for definite that their usage will go up. But i think there is a very good chance.

There isn't much to post about in the thread. It would be mainly for reading help on troubleshooting and organising games(which would be the main chunk of posting)

I have consulted it on numerous occasions for searching for help and sites for mods. I don't really play Op.Flash anymore either since i have got my 360.

People do play it still though.http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=300426 look there.

Tar.Aldarion has been here over a year and didn't even know there was a forum about it.

RicardoSmith didn't know where to look for Mods for the game.

Timans wrote:
    Thanks for the Welcome:D

Obviously i don't know for definite that their usage will go up. But i think there is a very good chance.

One users intution about this may not be enough.
    There isn't much to post about in the thread. It would be mainly for reading help on troubleshooting and organising games(which would be the main chunk of posting)

I presume by thread you mean forum. And if there isn't much to post about then where does the main chunk come from.
    I have consulted it on numerous occasions for searching for help and sites for mods. I don't really play Op.Flash anymore either since i have got my 360.

People do play it still though.http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=300426 look there.

That was a while ago and even then there was only a handful of responses. I'm also a little confused about your motives to have it moved given you don't even play it anymore.
    Tar.Aldarion has been here over a year and didn't even know there was a forum about it.

RicardoSmith didn't know where to look for Mods for the game.

Neither have been very active in posting about.

Just because a game is good (which OpFlash undoubtedly was) doesn't mean that people want to talk about it or even play it anymore.

• Advertisement

amp wrote:
    One users intution about this may not be enough.

I presume by thread you mean forum. And if there isn't much to post about then where does the main chunk come from.

That was a while ago and even then there was only a handful of responses. I'm also a little confused about your motives to have it moved given you don't even play it anymore.

Neither have been very active in posting about.

Just because a game is good (which OpFlash undoubtedly was) doesn't mean that people want to talk about it or even play it anymore.

Yeah, I meant forum. Sorry about that.

I don't play it anymore because we got XP and didn't upgrade the RAM so My PC can't take the game anymore.
    I would play it if i could. I think that it is a stupid thing having games forum in hosted. That is my Motive for wanting it changed.

Timans wrote:
    Yeah, I meant forum. Sorry about that.

I don't play it anymore because we got XP and didn't upgrade the RAM so My PC can't take the game anymore.
    I would play it if i could. I think that it is a stupid thing having games forum in hosted. That is my Motive for wanting it changed.

Man you were doing alright until you just went back to your original argument that it's "stupid". Calling something stupid without reasoning is in itself stupid.

I suggest you quit crusading and just post what you want to post in the OpFlash forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If I had my way, half the games forums would be hidden away in the darkest corners of boards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Maybe a sticky in the general Games forum pointing new users to the Hosted->Public->*Games* forums. Apologies if this has already been suggested.

I can understand the confusion. I have been a member since 2001 and I had never noticed the games under hosted before. I didn't even realise they were there till I read this thread. Granted I was never looking for any of them, but then half the forums I post on I didn't go looking for originally, I just stumbled into them and stayed in the ones I was interested in.

Wicknight wrote:
    Maybe a sticky in the general Games forum pointing new users to the Hosted->Public->*Games* forums. Apologies if this has already been suggested.

No, don't think so. I'll edit the charter.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Apparently the OpFlash community is still highly active due to the mod community; I didn't believe it myself until there was a thread similar to this in Feedback a coupla' months back.

Just, fyi.

Highly active? Where?

amp wrote:
    Highly active? Where?
    That would require some level of research; maybe even a googling.

I just happened to remember the thread on it when I saw this one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

What about making a new folder under games, and putting all single game boards in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

monument wrote:
    What about making a new folder under games, and putting all single game boards in there?

sheesh...enough with the sensible suggestions!!;)

• Advertisement

CuLT wrote:
    That would require some level of research; maybe even a googling.

I just happened to remember the thread on it when I saw this one.

So not on boards then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

amp wrote:

On this note (and partially OT) the Unreal forum could probably be done away with. It's not used at all anymore. Those of us who did use it set up our own website just over a year ago and created our own forum. No offence to boards but it was something we wanted to do as we were starting to grow as a community and needed our own space.

That said - if it is removed any chance of a sticky on the main Games page? :)

Sheesh - the chair isn't even cold :p

I just linked to my post on #unreal.ie and the initial reactions were one's of outrage! It's a nostalgia thing - it all started here - so I withdraw my proposal :D

amp wrote:
    So not on boards then?
    There was mention of an "active community". I guess the guy figured it would be more active if the forum were in an intuitive location.

RopeDrink wrote:
    Dirty, filthy, blasphemous tease!
    May all your gaming be ping-spiked and your killing-spree's be against your own teammates.
    Now that's harsh :D

Advertisement