Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a 512mb Nvidea Geforce PCI-E Any good?

Options
  • 04-01-2006 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Ive found a card on ebay and am interested in buying it.

Or would this one better?

ATI 256MB Radeon 9800 Pro AGP.

Im not used to being a n00b!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

AGP worth about €120 i think.

Good card, will play pretty muck anything not all on max detail.

The two cards you mention are for two different types of motherboard though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

What slot do you have on your motherboard for graphics?, AGP or PCI-E?, you won't have both; only one or the other..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭J2DaC

Ehmmm....... I have a couple PCI slots on my mobo. Is that the same as PCi - E? I bought my computer at dell if that helps? Im not sure.

Cheers.

PCI slots aren't the same as PCI-E I'm afraid, sometimes even Dell ship PC's with motherboards that don't even have an AGP slot OR a PCI-E. What's the model number of your Dell (e.g. Inspiron 9150).

Its the Dimension 5000. 1gb RAM, 3.0 ghz, 360gb HD if that helps at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I doubt the "512mb"-card is any use -- is it a GeForce 6200/ATi X300?
    What you need to know is that the Graphics Processor is way more important than the amount of RAM on a graphics card. Which would make the old top-end 9800Pro better than any entry-level GPU.
    Also, to check if you have an AGP or PCI-e slot, just look for a slot that's a different colour/size to the usual white PCI slots -- AGP is usually brown and offset like this (link). Check about PCI-e here (link)

Thanks for the replys! I have an AGP for sure. So is that one I mentioned earlier any use? If not could you recommend any for €100 - €150??

Thanks for your advice. (I LOVE THIS FORUM)

J2DaC wrote:
    Thanks for the replys! I have an AGP for sure. So is that one I mentioned earlier any use? If not could you recommend any for €100 - €150??

Thanks for your advice. (I LOVE THIS FORUM)

This is a nice enough card for €157, obviously having 256mb gddr3 memory would be nicer (€219 for the 256mb model - extortionate price), but this is more than sufficient as a decent mid level graphics card.

I wouldn't spend any more than that on an AGP card tbh man, AGP slot mainboards are dead money now and the next upgrade you should do in the future is a new motherboard with a PCI-E slot (SLI if you're feeling fancy).

I just bougt this card from kelkoo. Thanks for the link.

Cheers to everyone that helped.

Forgot to ask, would this be good for Black And White 2? How would it hold up in games? Thanks.

And would it be a noticable difference from my Dell 128mb card?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jellycopter

I have one of those cards and it more than does the job. Of course you can get better, but if you don't want to spend a fortune, it's a very good option.

Be sure to dload the latest drivers for the card when you get it. You'll be amazed the difference it can make.

Thats great news! Black And Whites a good game!

Advertisement