Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Download Speeds with Bitcomet?

• 04-01-2006 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'm downloading a torrent from BitComet with a Seed/Peer[All] of 31/40[33/2429] and getting Down/Upload of 6/2 Kbps

Any ideas why it is that slow. I'm using Eircom Broadband through the Eircom Provided Wireless Router (Netopia 3347-NWG).

Connection is a bit slow overall actually.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

Have you pinholed your router?

Other than that, I can't think of anything in particular.... I take it you are limiting your uploads - anything above 4KBps trashes my download speed.

If your connection feels slow, then try testing it www.irishisptest.com
    Make sure nothing else is up/downloading at the same time, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭J2DaC

Yeah you definately have to open some ports. go to 192.168.1.254 and go into configure NAT. And follow that road. Did the trick for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Like it could be a lot of diff things its not bitcomet that is the problem
    are you downloading from a public torrent site/tracker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Hi. Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm having same problem and have searched for this solution on Google but to no avail. The problem becomes clear when you check your "peers" Initiation column.. They are supposed to be varied i.e. Local and Remote. How4ever all mine are coming up as local and this is apparently why I am getting such a low download rate (3/4kbs). Can anyone enlighten us or point us to a decent walkthrough wiht the "actual" modem in question (3347NWG)...?? Pwetty pwease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Hi. Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm having same problem and have searched for this solution on Google but to no avail. The problem becomes clear when you check your "peers" Initiation column.. They are supposed to be varied i.e. Local and Remote. How4ever all mine are coming up as local and this is apparently why I am getting such a low download rate (3/4kbs). Can anyone enlighten us or point us to a decent walkthrough wiht the "actual" modem in question (3347NWG)...?? Pwetty pwease
    Here: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/Cayman3346/BitComet.htm
    Slightly different router model (3346) but basically the same configuration.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote:
    Here: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/Cayman3346/BitComet.htm
    Slightly different router model (3346) but basically the same configuration.

Cheers! I'll give it a look now..

Cheers! I'll give it a look now..

Boo hoo.. Didn't work! Did all I should accoprding to that guide and I still have only 5/6 kbs of download. Have limited my uploads to 4kbs too just in case but to no avail. Also have turned off UPnP on both BitComet and my Router.. Any other suggestions?? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

try turning the firewall on the router of for a while and see if that makes a difference

fitzdragon wrote:
    try turning the firewall on the router of for a while and see if that makes a difference

I don't see a firewall option on the router interface... Would it defo have one?

DOH!! Sorry found it.. I'll give that a try cheers.

yeah go to basic mode and you will see it there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Public trackers are getting slower and slower all the time, as they are filled only with leechers and the savvy users have all moved to private/ratio trackers.

fitzdragon wrote:

Aye she's climbing steadily now Fitz. Just peaked at 35kbs but fluctuating still but I reckon thats down to the amount of peers. Is there no way around the Firewall other than turning it off though...? Not the most secure considering I'll be leaving it for a long time while the download completes..

CiaranC wrote:
    Public trackers are getting slower and slower all the time, as they are filled only with leechers and the savvy users have all moved to private/ratio trackers.

As in...? Subscription...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Public Torrents are dying! Look at the amount of people with 100% and no sharing?

SICK

are you getting remote connections now? i dont use the firewall on the router i use zone alarm and have had no problems so far , try it on different settings and see what effect it has on your remote connections , as you said i would never use any net connection without a firewall of some sort

Yeah getting more Remotes now than Locals. Can I not add exceptions to the routers firewall like I can do in XP?

As in...? Subscription...?
    As in private trackers where you need an account. People who dont maintain a a good UL/DL ratio are booted off. I can max my 3Mb connection on these, Im lucky to get 25KB/s off the likes of the bigger public ones.

i dont know to be honest i think you can have the firewall at low or medium and you will still get remote connections but as soon as you set it on high they seem to disapear

CiaranC wrote:
    As in private trackers where you need an account. People who dont maintain a a good UL/DL ratio are booted off. I can max my 3Mb connection on these, Im lucky to get 25KB/s off the likes of the bigger public ones.

me too ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

your upload determines your download speed for bittorrent files...hence if you're using eircom who only have 128kb upload it will severely limit your download speed..a good choice is metro who has a basic 3mb/512kb upload which is what I'm on...a mate of mine is on IBB with a 2mb/2mb upload and his downloads are faster than mine due to the difference in upload speed...a lot of file shares now actively check their leechers to see if they're uploading..if not they'll throttle their speeds even lower or cut them off which is rightly so..you shouldn't expect to download files off other users and not return the favour to others..

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help guys (fitzdragon & Drapper) and sorry for jumping the thread! ;)

Airblazer wrote:
    you shouldn't expect to download files off other users and not return the favour to others..

Understood, but if you're just starting the process for the first time then you have nothing to upload so why are there uploads in that case? What's being uploaded? Excuse my ignorance :o

also, have you changed the Bittorent listening ports? Some ISPs throttle port 6881 (standard for torrents)

try another in the settings like 7001 or 7002 ect...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Torrents in general are getting slower I think!!

I part of a pretty good private tracker...and have a very healthy 5.8 ratio...but Im currently downloading at 10kBytes from that site...annoying!!!!
    Multiple downloads would certainly increase the speed...but I never think that far into the future!

Drapper wrote:
    also, have you changed the Bittorent listening ports? Some ISPs throttle port 6881 (standard for torrents)

try another in the settings like 7001 or 7002 ect...........

Ah yeah I'm well up into the 12Ks somewhere. It lets you change the Listen Ports but gives up random numbers up to about 28K or thereabouts.

zuma wrote:
    Torrents in general are getting slower I think!!

too many greedy leechers !

12242 is a good port for bitcomet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

on a 128k upload speed and I restrict my uploads to 5k, using bitcomet, have done the NAT thing and on a recent download was hitting 99k average for 15 minutes taking the file down

on a 128k upload speed and I restrict my uploads to 5k, using bitcomet, have done the NAT thing and on a recent download was hitting 99k average for 15 minutes taking the file down
    This, friends, is why the public trackers are dying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

CiaranC,
    Through years of p2p, anything more than 5k choked my downloads and left my surfing impossible.
    With unlimited upload package with Eircom I left all my downloads available until I hit 1:1, that gave around 150gig up last year, pc basically left on all year.
    Now with BTBB+ and the best I can manage is 1:0.6 ratio, would love to contibute more but with current upload speed and traffic allowance, can't afford any better
    Do take your point but Irish limits aint helping the global cause, when they go up - fingers crossed later in the month along with speed upgrade - then hopefully we can all give as much as we take.
    An honest 1:0.6 is better than folk who manipulate their ratios on their client.
    ps elitetorrent + sw revenge of the sith + FBI did scare the sh1t out of me, and that was an amazing private

Advertisement