Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Download Speeds with Bitcomet?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

CiaranC wrote:
    This, friends, is why the public trackers are dying.

Nope, the reason is people jump off straight away. 5k is what I upload at although I do have a 24meg pipe somewhere ;)

Also everyone gunning for 1:1 can actually make it HARD to upload on the larger private sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

At home I limit the connection to 7KByte/s or 8KByte/s.

At college I limit to 500KByte/s...as those comps are not the best.
    I have seen the upload climb to 800KByte/s on occasion but Bitcomet would end up crashing...hahaha!!!
    Hence my close to 6:1 ratio ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ah, you run on a local machine?

I have ssh access to a box ;)

Most I have seen is 2mb/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Look even if your ports are closed you should still be getting
    better speeds the that. Im 100% sure it just because its a public
    bittorrent website like torrentspy and you have your upload capped.
    My advice try find a good private torrent site (most need a invite) and
    i would bet you the speeds would max out your connection ports open
    or not.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

As a complete aside, it appears that BitComet is becoming a client non grata these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

These types of threads could easily be avoided with a sticky. They seem to pop up every week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

Understood, but if you're just starting the process for the first time then you have nothing to upload so why are there uploads in that case? What's being uploaded? Excuse my ignorance :o

here's how it works (basic overview)
    torrent files are uploaded by someone as probably one file (not always) this is known as the seeder..the downloaders are the leechers
    so when leechers are downloading they are each downloading at different rates and speeds...what torrent clients do is connect to the other leechers as well as the seeders in order to pull down different parts of the file from all these users...so someone who is at 10% download will also be downloading from someone who is 70% download as they will have more of the file parts..all of these parts when completed are joined to give you the end file...
    so basically as soon as you start downloading more likely than not there will be another person downloading after you who is behind you and thus their bittorent client will connect to your machine to pull down what you have downloaded..do u understand?all very confusing at first

Ya thats how bittorrent works but the lads problem is the speeds he
    is getting form the torrent. If anyone is having problems finding a good torrent site just let me know pm or email me il sort ya out.

Also try this website http://www.bittorrentguide.co.uk/
    And this http://thepeergroup.net

But my advice is get a good FTP Topsite he he but thats another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

I use Azureus for my torrent downloads, I have tried uTorrent, Bitcommet, BitlLord, The original BT Client and ABC.

From all of them I think Azureus is the best for me.

The 3347 NWG has uPnP port mapping, when I use Azureus it maps the ports automatically.

I also have the Auto Speed plug-in installed, it dynamically adjusts the max upload and if you like the max download speeds.

I have 2 Meg/128 K up i use between 4 and 7k max upload speed.

Another thing really great with Azureus is, it uses a great DHT (Distributed Tracker). If you are downloading a torrent and even if it uses a private tracker chances are that Azureus will pick the torrent up on the distributed tracker and after a few minutes you'll have a nice healthy torrent.

I can do a few walkthroughs if a few people want them. I can put things into plain english.

One thing I really like the DHT for is to send files to my friends, you can host a torrent yourself on the DHT with Azureus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Azureus isn't the only one with DHT and UPNp port mapping! :rolleyes:

The new build (1.4, 402) of µTorrent got the RSS reader working, it's awesome for lazy people like me. :D

I never lower my upload rate lower than 7Kb/s I'll up it once BT upgrade their service, SOON!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I tried Azureus for a while and whilst I was impressed, I could never get port forwarding to work. Even with Windows Firewall completely turned off (just for a while, to test it), I could never get UPnP to open the ports automatically (my router shows up as a UPnP device in My Network Places, so the router doesn't seem to be the problem...) Bitcomet seemed to work with port forwarding for a while but even thats broken now (according to the logs anyway). Its kinda pissing me off. According to various external security websites, no connections can be made to my computer because all the ports appear closed....

Ah sure anyway the DHT network usually gets me enough seeds! & Bitcomet is even better for "infiltrating" private trackers.. As long as it gets me my scrubs I don't mind ;-)

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

I tried Azureus for a while and whilst I was impressed, I could never get port forwarding to work. Even with Windows Firewall completely turned off (just for a while, to test it), I could never get UPnP to open the ports automatically (my router shows up as a UPnP device in My Network Places, so the router doesn't seem to be the problem...) Bitcomet seemed to work with port forwarding for a while but even thats broken now (according to the logs anyway). Dave

There can be other problems, one is with third party firewalls. Now I presume you don't have one as you mention the windows one.
    I had Zone Alarm, it is a know incompatible program so I switched to Syagte Personal Firewall and it's grand.
    Most problems can be firewall related anyhow, I've come across PCs where the user uninstalled a firewall for another but the old firewall never unregistered it's service so some programs just couldn't get access to the net.

Ah sure anyway the DHT network usually gets me enough seeds! & Bitcomet is even better for "infiltrating" private trackers.. As long as it gets me my scrubs I don't mind ;-)

Not anymore! And it sounds so sad, like why wait for a seed on the DHT
    network???? Are you such n00bs that you cant get axx to files other
    ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

ricey wrote:
    Are you such n00bs that you cant get axx to files other
    ways.

Yes on weekends I rob Xtravisions :D

Some of us are happy out with what we've got! The setup I have at the moment allows me to watch family guy, american dad, southpark, scrubs, the office and all the rest within 24 hours of it bein on american tv... thats bloody marvellous as far as I'm concerned!

please please please please please don't use "n00b".... it leads me to believe you are 16 and very angtsy ;-)

And bishopLEN, yup you're right, I don't use any other firewall software. I think the lack of portforwarding is down to the convoluted setup between my modem and router just to get a working net connection in the first place. Feckin CNET hardware, never again...

Dave

Yes on weekends I rob Xtravisions

Xtravision aint even got axx to stuff i have.

Na im only messin sorry for the n00b bit, how am i 2 know if ye are
    or not. All im saying is there is no need to use public trackers for a
    few reasons.

1: The files are on there late.
    2: The speeds are bad.
    3: Its very easy to get caught.

Advertisement