Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Strokes - First Impressions Of Earth

Options
  • 04-01-2006 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

So the strokes are back yet again for a new album which does pretty much rock!!!Im not a massive fan of the strokes myself and ive always seen them as a singles band for me but i thought id give the new album a listen and i have to say that im impressed. The album remains cosistantly good throughout although there are some songs that get boring mid-way such as "you only live once" which is kinda surprising for the first track on the album but the rest are brilliant with top knotch riff like in "razorbalde" or "juicebox". I'd recommend everybody to give this a listen even if your not a strokes fan because it is good.

8 out of 10.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The album remains cosistantly good throughout although there are some songs that get boring mid-way such as "you only live once" which is kinda surprising for the first track on the album but the rest are brilliant with top knotch riff like in "razorbalde" or "juicebox". I'd recommend everybody to give this a listen even if your not a strokes fan because it is good.

8 out of 10.

Have to say "you only live once" is my favourite track on the album and i dont think it gets boring at all, razorblade has some killer guitar in it, and id have those 2 as my top 2 on the album. Overall id agree with your 8 out of 10 rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭zinc

Not as good as the other albums and the songwriting is a tad lacklustre at times, starts off strongs but veers off badly, but it is a good album and I;m a huge strokes fan but still, a little off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

The most impressive guitar imo has to be the riff in "heart in a cage" its a really catchy song and one of their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I really like First Impressions of Earth, it's much better than Room On Fire. Standout tracks would be Razorblade, On The Other Side and Ize Of The World (reminds me of 12:51).

8/10 indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

Room On Fire was great with 12:52, Automatic Stop, Reptilla, I can't win, the end has no end.. I can't understand why people diss it so much.

Good - no great album, Room on Fire was better imo. Best songs - You Only Live Once, Juicebox, Vision of Division, Heart in a Cage and Razorblade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Room on fire was a classic. These guys are feckin legends. I do find he gets a bit whiney on this album in a couple of songs. Im listening to "The Other Side" now and its a bit whiney. "Size of the World" is a cool song. Not as great than their last albums IMO. But then again MO could change quick, fast and in a hurry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I loved it on first listen but it was worn off me a bit since. Yeah it's a good album but not a great album like Is This It. The album starts off great with the likes of ''You Only Live Once'', ''Juicebox'', ''Heart In A Cage''and ''Razorblade'' but the songwriting maybe wears a little thin as the album progresses at times. The most outstanding aspect of the album is Valensi and Hammond Jr.'s sublime guitarwork throughout the record.

I like the album but maybe I'm a little disappointed since The Strokes are a genuinely talented band who are capeable of so much. To sum it up, very good but could have been a bit better.

7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

i love this album. More than just Julian wrote most of the songs. Electricityscape is brilliant too imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

I have to agree that You Only Live Once is by far one of the best tracks on the album. I think this is a fantastic album. Not sure about the deliberate 'fake end' to Ize Of The World though, clever yes but it kind of ruins it for me

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

radioman wrote:
    I have to agree that You Only Live Once is by far one of the best tracks on the album. I think this is a fantastic album. Not sure about the deliberate 'fake end' to Ize Of The World though, clever yes but it kind of ruins it for me

9/10

i think it ruins it for just about everyone. At the very end of the song where it cuts he says vapour..... meaning vaporize. Thats where ize of the world came from. Its supposed to be cool. I dont really think its worth ruining the song over though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Actually really surprised me with how good this is, never really liked The Stokes before but heard this album a few times and the guitar work is pretty much constantly really good. Would probably give it a 7/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 kingofvillan

Can't believe everybody on this board! Think this is one of the most dissapointing albums i've ever heard. Sure the first few tracks have their moments(razorblade brings to mind the classic strokes songs) but after that the album descends into mediocrity and blandness. Song 7(cant remember the name) is simply awful, is constant droaning about how he has nothing to say makes me want to break my cd player! Too much songs attempt a slow tempo and they simply don't pull it off, looks like they're trying to emulate their vastly superior peers the Kings of Leon, but imo they fail miserably! The songs that are decent are the classic sounding strokes songs but even most of these quickly fade into the memory! Their debut album was amazing, an exciting fresh sound, their second album was decent, more of the same with some stand out tracks but a few fillers all the same. This album is a waste of money, they offer very little inthe way of anything new and exciting and fall flat on their face in their attempt to breath new life into their faltering career. Will have to improve vastly on their 4th album if they are to stand the test of time! 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Well I've had this album for the last 9 months and I have to say its a pretty damn good album all things considered , doesnt quite hit the heights of Is This It but then again not a lot of albums in my opinion do. Starts off brilliantly with 4 all time classic Strokes tracks "You only Live once" , "Juicebox" , "Heart in a Cage" and "Razorblade they are 4 varied tracks and yet all uniquely Strokes. Julians on fine lyrical form throughout with his throwaway couplets some of my favourites being
    "1,000 ways to please your man ,not even one requires a plan"
    "the light is red the camera's on , get yourself a lawyer and a gun"
    "I know you hate to be impressed with someone else (other than yourself). But you know, trying to hold back on being an asshole helps"
    "On the Other Side" is quite repetitive but I like its melancholy
    "Ask me Anything" is an unusual one where it seems like Julian has nothing to say with crappy lyrics abound indeed he even repeats the phrase "I've got nothing to say" ad nauseum.
    Vision of Divison and Evening Sun are nothing special
    2 other great songs towards the end are "Red Light" a bouncy pop song with some Thin Lizzy like guitars and "Ize of the World" which i thought was crap the first few times i heard it till i realised it was brilliant.
    All in All really I think it was an improvement on Room on Fire which i thought had a few too many passable tracks
    ****/*****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

it seems like a transitional album,half the album simply doesnt pull off their changing direction and yet the other half does and this makes it an unbalanced album,yet leaving us with plenty of promise for their next excursion.:confused:

Advertisement