Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

resteraunts

Options
  • 04-01-2006 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

its bad to begin with a mis-spelling ;) just wondering if anyone has a reccomendation of a resteraunt in the city centre? somewhere with fab food and right within walking distance of the centre of town. any recomendations? any type of food :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Ivory Tower on Prince's St maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

opus wrote:
    Ivory Tower on Prince's St maybe.

I was in there last week and the waitress serving the soup had her thumbs submerged itno both of the bowls she was carrying ...quirky sort of place, but good food...tad pricey.

Greene's on MaCurtain street is often a good bet or there's a good international selection along French Church Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Isaacs on McCurtain Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Gambieni's, Carey's Lane. Savage! And the Banoffi Pie is scrumptious! Zanzibaar is good too- nice and intimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Aspiration wrote:
    Zanzibaar is good too- nice and intimate.

You're havin' a larf! Last time I was up there you literally couldn't stretch out an arms length without whacking someone in the back of the head...

(btw, I don't have comically long arms or anything)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Jacques, Isaac's or Greene's are all good. I've gone off the Ivory Tower since I had a very shítty microwaved lunch there one day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Lulus near the library is a good place to eat.

rymus wrote:
    You're havin' a larf! Last time I was up there you literally couldn't stretch out an arms length without whacking someone in the back of the head...

(btw, I don't have comically long arms or anything)

The food is really good though! Yeah, it's a small restaurant, but it's cosy and it is intimate...! And anyways, whenever I go there it's not that busy so at least there's a table or two between you and the next. :cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

We were in Les Gourmandises in Cook St on Friday and it was very nice. Good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Lovely food in there and some great wine. I've had good service when there but I know others who thought the staff were rude.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

damien.m wrote:
    Lovely food in there and some great wine. I've had good service when there but I know others who thought the staff were rude.

Strange that you say that because on Friday night there was a guy at another table who was loudly complaining about the service.

Have to agree there, food is good, but service can be very poor in manner

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i love star vast on princes st (formerly tao tao) savage chinese food, the rice is perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Castelli's, the little Italian gaff on princes street (I think, it's by joyce's toy shop) is very good value. Seems authentic Italian. Also some of the seats are church pews!
    Rossini's is close by but not nearly as good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

JaneHudson wrote:
    Castelli's, the little Italian gaff on princes street (I think, it's by joyce's toy shop) is very good value. Seems authentic Italian. Also some of the seats are church pews!
    i love castellis

another good italian, il padrino's on cook street, best tiramisu in cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

Fenns Quay down at the back of the Courthouse. Excellent food and the staff are lovely. It's kind of small but cosy and, as I said, the food is divine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

JaneHudson wrote:

Oooh, forgot about that place. Must check it out.
    Rossini's is close by but not nearly as good.

Service there is funeral-march slow. Bring a packed lunch so you won't starve while waiting.

any one know anything bout the chinese on market parade? headin there tonight

Call me silly but where's Market Parade?

Tree wrote:
    any one know anything bout the chinese on market parade? headin there tonight

Is that the Jade Palace? If it is, I've heard good things about the place- I haven't been there in years but what I remember of it is good.
    Tree wrote:
    i love star vast on princes st (formerly tao tao) savage chinese food, the rice is perfect

I agree, the food is gorgeous there. It's probably my favourite Chinese in town. Really nice interiors too, and whenever I'm there it's quiet so I like that. Can't understand why it's not busy though- the food is fantastic!

• Advertisement

i was there once when it was up the walls, the staff kinda forgot about us, but thats ok coz apart from memory problems when overworked they are lovely and good fun.

market parade is that little stretch of shops between patrick street and the english market, next to the health food shop and claire's accessories. nice little wool shop down there

jade palace is very nice, chicken satay is savage

Jade Palace is a very good standard chinese. Reasonable. For excellent Chinese food, though, you have to go to Starvast. It's the best around

I think that there's no good Italian restaurant in the city, considering that we've got tonnes of shiite-y ones. Pizza republic do the nicest pizza in my eyes.

dudara wrote:
    Jade Palace is a very good standard chinese. Reasonable. For excellent Chinese food, though, you have to go to Starvast. It's the best around

I think that there's no good Italian restaurant in the city, considering that we've got tonnes of shiite-y ones. Pizza republic do the nicest pizza in my eyes.
    i dont think any one can dispute how good starvast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭arac

ecos in douglas, the veg curry is fab..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭serabi

Aspiration wrote:
    Zanzibaar is good too- nice and intimate.
    I hate that place, something always goes wrong- Last time there was an elastic band in my buddy's dinner-
    I vow to never go back there- UGH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

serabi wrote:
    I hate that place, something always goes wrong- Last time there was an elastic band in my buddy's dinner-

I hate it too. Only been there twice but both times I thought the food was mank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 waz

JaneHudson wrote:
    QUOTE]
    Went to check it out last night........ sadly it was closed.....lot of building work going on Refurbishment ?????????????:confused:

waz wrote:
    JaneHudson wrote:
    QUOTE]
    Went to check it out last night........ sadly it was closed.....lot of building work going on Refurbishment ?????????????:confused:
    awww, i didnt know it was closed, it's fab when its open

by the by, does anyone know anything about kelly's restaurant (on oliver plunkett st upstairs next ot caseys or across fro mthe bróg)

• Advertisement

serabi wrote:

Went there about 3 or 4 years ago with my boyfriend. We had booked a table but they made us wait for a half an hour and they sat people who had been waiting less time before us. The food is nice but I cannot tolerate bad service. We haven't been back since and I know a couple of people who had a similar experience recently. Wouldn't recommend it!

Advertisement