Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing heavy light fitting to platerboard ceiling

Options
  • 04-01-2006 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

I am trying to replace the light fitting in my hall to a plasterboard ceiling. When I try to put in the screws they go straight through as ceiling is like meringue. I gave up on the screws and stuck the plate, on which the light should hang from, using No More Nails. Left it for 24 hours and it was well stuck. As soon as I hung the light, the plate came away. Weight obviously too heavy.

Rawl plugs dont work, and hole in celing for wires is getting bigger with each new effort.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

poke around with a screwdriver to see if there's a joist nearby.if not you can fit a batten if you have access above the light or else if the lights not too heavy shove a long narrow piece of timber through the hole and fasten it down to the top of the ceiling by
    screwing up 2 screws either side of the hole.use this as your batten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

could you move the light a few inches so you can screw into the nearest joist?

If not, there are special fixings for screwing to plasterboard. However, I would put in a support between the floor joists and screw the fitting to this support through the plasterboard.

if you have access from above, then just screw a piece of 4x2 flush with the bottom of the joists. Drill a hole from below for the cable to pass through. Then secure the light fitting by screwing into the support.

If you don't have access from above, you might have to take out a section of plasterboard, to put in a support from below. Then replace the bit you took out and skim and paint it. The cutting out and putting back in needs to be done very tidily, making sure that to cut along the joist, so that both the old remaining slab, and the new section are supported and nailed appropriately. Don't do it unless you know what you're doing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Why not use toggle bolts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

As above best to find a joist, if not then get a few "butterfly fixers", these are spring loaded clips which open when you put them through a hole.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As a man who has recently put up a massive chandler in the living room, let me first say the stress of such a job is nearly as bad as the job itself, i.e. when i come down in the morning will i have a €300 jigsaw?

Obviously the best thing to do would be to find a joist as stated above. I don't really think that there is any other solution that won't put stress on the plasterboard itself. The special rawplugs that i have used are great for vertical hanging, but i don't think they'd fair well on a heavy light. I also reckon that you have probably stressed the area of plasterboard in question already.

Go for the joist approach, as i reckon you should be at maximum, 5 to 6 inchs from one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi delly,

Probably a stubid question at this stage but can you lift the floor board upstairs ?

We had to hang huge chandoliers ( a real Del Boy Job :) ) Waterford Crystal at 30 grand a set.

We took up the floor boards and fixed a piece of steel across the joists with a hole in the centre, or did we centre the hole ?

Anyway the lights are still hanging, No tapest you are not getting the address :D:D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi delly,

Probably a stupid question at this stage but can you lift the floor board upstairs ?
    Don't know if your asking did i lift the floorboards when i hung my chandaler (I didn't), or wheather you mean can the OP lift his floorboards.
    rooferPete wrote:
    We had to hang huge chandoliers ( a real Del Boy Job :) ) Waterford Crystal at 30 grand a set.
    I can picture a phone call in the future....."Hi Pete, you know that chandaler you hung for us?, well......"

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi delly,

Probably a stubid question at this stage but can you lift the floor board upstairs ?

We took up the floor boards and fixed a piece of steel across the joists with a hole in the centre, or did we centre the hole ?

Anyway the lights are still hanging, No tapest you are not getting the address :D:D:D

I remember the episode of Delboy chandolier cleaning, catching the wrong one....still cracks me up.
    That reminds me, I've to hand a couple of fittings for the sister and I'm going to have to lift floor boards. Not because of weight but because she had me install new plaster centerpieces a couple of years ago and insisted on no visible connection points. And you think I'm awkward.
    For heavy (not super keavy) fittings, I would suggest heavy mecano strip(bought on a roll) and easily bent into shape. In our location where joists are very close(less than 16") A "U" shape bolted near top of joist is easy and very secure.
    Now the real reason for replying....there I was, minding my own business, having my (now rare)cruise on the "boards", when all of a sudden, without warning or provocation I get a full broadside. It's akin to having a snooze on a warm summer's day and some great big bruiser poking ya in the eye, with a dirty finger. And the disrespect...using a small "t" in Tapest. I and only I am allowed to use the small "t" as a sign of humility.
    Now take this as a warning...if you don't change your ways and smartly, I won't let you help me anymore.
    T (standing tall after Weetabix)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Tapest,

My sincerest most humble apologies, I am on my knees as I type so PleAsE FugiVe aNy SeEliNg ERruRs.

Actually I was hoping for the Ice Cube while sleeping on the beech on a warm summers day effect :D:D:D

As I have gorn to all dis truble can I help Ye PuleasE ? :D

Thought that would wake you up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For a really heavy light, put a short section(s) of joist between the existing joists, fixed with several screws. For chandeliers or other hung lights, have a hole pre-drilled in the centre to hang the cable / chain off. Make sure you use two fixings and a few extra pairs of hands, just in case.

For some fittings, a square of MDF (again with hole pre-drilled in the centre) laid on the plasterboard is enough to spread the weight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement