Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derren Brown - The Heist

• 04-01-2006 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

Anyone watch this? Pretty impressive... this time he conditioned 4 people and put them in the position to rob an armoured car. 3 of them actually decided to do it, without anyone telling them to - they used the fake gun he had given them and forced the guard to the ground, running off with two strongboxes.

Mad stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Saw the action bits, but not any of the conditioning. Interesting and very funny! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭carl_

hate to burst your bubble :\/ but it's all nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

looked good, just couldn't stay with it, i hate when you kow that whatever it is you tune in for, (trick/illusion etc) is at the end of an hour long programme, i need instant gratification, which is why my tiny little brain switched the channel to con air instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

carl_ wrote:

Wanna back that up in any way?

Saw it last night and thought it was quite good. I was going to post something in the psychology forum last week about the Millgram obedience experiment but forgot.

Was very interesting to see it done, I couldn't believe one of them actually said there should be more switches on the box! Heres a linky to some details on the original experiment, it is a really fascinating subject (to me anyway):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millgram_experiment

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

carl_ wrote:

Thank god someone agrees with me.. what a load of balls :eek: I sooo wanted to beleive it was real but I have to say he lost me about 10 minutes into it... I mean come on :rolleyes: The 4 guys at the end just happened to have the plastic gun in the back of their trousers (bank robber style)?? Why didnt the girl have it in her handbag.. Thats not the worst thing about the show but its one thing that really annoyed me.. Iv lost all faith in him now... one of the lads was half grinning when the "police" confronted him... baaaaaad acting :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ah, I thought it was great. A return to form for Derren.

To be honest I think the best bits of his shows are the lead in bits - the sweet shop exercise, the Millgram experiment. The payoff at the end isn't as interesting.

The "decontamination tent" at the end was a bit theatrical for my liking but other than that it was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

sorry lads what day, time and channel is he on at ?

The show was on Channel 4, last night at nine. I think it was a one off special though. I don't think it's part of a regular show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Will probably be repeated on E4 at some stage this week, keep an eye out for it.

Earthhorse wrote:
    Ah, I thought it was great. A return to form for Derren.

To be honest I think the best bits of his shows are the lead in bits - the sweet shop exercise, the Millgram experiment. The payoff at the end isn't as interesting.

The "decontamination tent" at the end was a bit theatrical for my liking but other than that it was excellent.

The lads in the sweet shop were probably the only part I thought was genuine tbh... but I cant help thinking the actual "subjects" were just actors.. nothing stopping actors walking into a shop and robbing as an experiment and recording the staffs reactions??? Sorry to sound like an android here but I just dont buy it... And the tent ?? I mean what was that?? And I noticed none of the "subjects" looked in any way suprised to find a central London street completely deserted in the middle of the day ??? Ridiculous IMO

Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

satchmo wrote:
    Anyone watch this? Pretty impressive... this time he conditioned 4 people and put them in the position to rob an armoured car. 3 of them actually decided to do it, without anyone telling them to - they used the fake gun he had given them and forced the guard to the ground, running off with two strongboxes.

Mad stuff.

I offer you an uncoditional guarantee that it was staged.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I laughed my ass off at the shop attendants who seemed extremely genuine. Yer man finally getting exasperated and saying "I swear I think I just f**kin ban people in suits tonight!". LOL.
    The end seemed off but the Millgram experiment is real. If you are interested in that sort of thing you should also read about the so called "Prisoners and Guards" experiment they did in Stanford.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Prison_Experiment
    It took less then two days for the prison "guards" to start to abuse their positions and from there it went straight down hill...

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    I laughed my ass off at the shop attendants who seemed extremely genuine. Yer man finally getting exasperated and saying "I swear I think I just f**kin ban people in suits tonight!". LOL.
    The end seemed off but the Millgram experiment is real. If you are interested in that sort of thing you should also read about the so called "Prisoners and Guards" experiement they did in Stanford.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Prison_Experiment
    It took less then two days for the prison "guards" to start to abuse their positions and from there it went straight down hill...

DeV.

Oh I dont doubt that this stuff is possible... I consider myself quite open minded which is why I was so dissapointed at the way it was done... I was expecting to be blown away tbh... Oh well

There's nothing preventing actors (or stooges) from doing what you describe. There's also nothing stopping people (journalists say) talking to these people and discovering whether they were plants or not. That won't happen though because they were just participants in a trick, simple as.

Earthhorse wrote:
    There's nothing preventing actors (or stooges) from doing what you describe. There's also nothing stopping people (journalists say) talking to these people and discovering whether they were plants or not. That won't happen though because they were just participants in a trick, simple as.

Thats it.. Keep the faith

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

They were hypnotised is all, the music played was the trigger!!!!

HAVE YOU ALL NOT SEEN OLDBOY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I haven't seen this yet, but if he's up to his usual tricks (Messiah, Seance, Trick of the Mind etc) then this is a form of mentalism "magic".

No stooges are involved, nor is any conditioning, hypnotism, suggestion, NLP etc, it's a mentalism effect. Like all "magic" (by which I mean the Paul Daniel's kind) when you actually find out how it's done it all seems obvious, bizarre and somewhat stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think it's real... I think that kind of thing would work quite well. I would often get the urge to do something like that, take a chance and hope it pays off, but my better judgement tells me not to, and that I wouldn't get away with it or anything. But when you've been subjected to that kind of psychological manipulation, and the opportunity is presented to you so perfectly, I can see exactly why it would work and why someone would take it.

So I don't think it's fake... It's just psychology, manipulation, and the likes. It makes sense, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

So I don't think it's fake... It's just psychology, manipulation, and the likes. It makes sense, really.
    I'm afraid it doesn't!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054870851

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'll read that tomorrow, but I'll take it for granted that he's bullsh!tting :p

EDIT:

On second thoughts, I'm gonna stick with what I said initially... I know that he's not magic, and that he's not psychic -- I don't believe in any of that stuff -- but as you said in another post, he says to "draw a picture... don't go overboard", and they've drawn a boat.. that's the kind of trickery and manipulation he's doing all the time, as far as I can see. Like I said, not magic, just suggestion and trickery.

I dunno!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

It has been proven that he stages his shows. He stupidly staged a Russian roulette "bit" in Jersey in the Channel Islands (hand guns are very Illegal there) and the Jersey police confirmed on national TV that it was blanks being used (he said it was live ammo and showed sand bags being shot) and that it was staged.

Link

Its entertainment.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

very interesting - espically the singh article. how does he make ppl fall asleep over the phone? I would be annoyed if the few explination he gives are pure bs - for example: the movement of eyes when ppl are lying

Advertisement