Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What cameras do RTE use?

• 04-01-2006 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

I would post this in the Television forum but I figure the people who actually know the answer are more likely to check here. I have an interview coming up in the camera department and need to start some research. What do they use out there? I have no idea what the interview is for, whether it's OB, studio or drama... Specific models, not just type.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Digibeta cameras for PSC crews I would imagine.... I hope to god they're still not on SP. I don't really know... I'll shut up now :(

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Lump wrote:
    Digibeta cameras for PSC crews I would imagine.... I hope to god they're still not on SP. I don't really know... I'll shut up now :(

John
    I'd imagine. I'm expecting them to whip something out and demand some form of demonstration and since the closest i've been to a professional camera in the last year is poking one in a shop in New York (i've been living in Toronto and managing to get zero television work) last July so I really need to brush up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I don't know much (at all!!) but....a friend of mine is a sub editor in RTE. She edits soccer matches and stuff. She was bitching the other day about the fact that they still edit the old fashioned way, tape to tape I think it's called. Like they dont use Final Cut or anything.
    Dunno if that helps you figure what type of camera.

Also, she said mini DV tapes arent good enough for TV, so count all those type of camera's out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

dory wrote:
    I don't know much (at all!!) but....a friend of mine is a sub editor in RTE. She edits soccer matches and stuff. She was bitching the other day about the fact that they still edit the old fashioned way, tape to tape I think it's called. Like they dont use Final Cut or anything.

Is she a chief sub or a playback tape op. I thought RTEs the Premiership was cut on Symphony straight away.

RTE has expanded to do a great deal of FCP.

If you're doing news with RTE they'll be using Beta SX, Digi or DVC Pro. Lifestyle or living Programs? (ie afternoon show) most likely mini dv or DVC Pro. I'd familarise myself with as much as possible.

Also, she said mini DV tapes arent good enough for TV, so count all those type of camera's out.

Thats not true right there. I can think of at least two tv drama's for RTE shot on Mini DV, and most of their lower budget documentaries and some news is shot on Mini DV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

dory wrote:
    I don't know much (at all!!) but....a friend of mine is a sub editor in RTE. She edits soccer matches and stuff. She was bitching the other day about the fact that they still edit the old fashioned way, tape to tape I think it's called.

linear editing

dory wrote:
    Like they dont use Final Cut or anything.

rte interactive have 2 or so avids for the doing content for mobile phones, for vodafone i think, I think also they had some other older avids but were phasing them out and getting in a quantel system..

as for cameras, digibeta and dv cam/pro going from some of the tape that have passed my way.

• Advertisement

BTW Quantel is ****.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

dory wrote:

I guarantee 99.9% of people in RTE coudln't tell the difference if tapes were played back side by side - as long as the equipment is the same, the MiniDV format is seamless IMO.

Dory, the amount of DV footage used is growing more and more. Considering most stuff is compressed about 70:1 for transmission, the use of mini dv is becoming more wide spread. Problems arise with DV because it's "Easy" to use, producers and newbs think they are the daddies shooting with it. DV is a fine format when used by a professional lighting camera man.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

decob wrote:
    linear editing

rte interactive have 2 or so avids for the doing content for mobile phones, for vodafone i think, I think also they had some other older avids but were phasing them out and getting in a quantel system..

RTE interactive or RTE news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Freelancer wrote:
    RTE interactive or RTE news?

no not interactive, some other section out there, just vaguly remember someone who was working out there mentioning it to me last time i spoke with him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement