Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loftus hall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Is there any more news about whats happening with Loftus Hall?

It is still for sale at its pre-crash price of 1.8million. Considering the cost it would be to turn it into a hotel plus the other couple of million to fix it up I would say that this is going to stay this way for a long time.

IMO it should have been bought by the Department of Heritage a good few years ago when they had money and turned into an OPW managed landscape and museum.

Milly33 wrote: »
    ...Just another great building left to root away...

In all fairness, considering the money involved and that fact that it is not of national historical significance, if the government started shelling out millions to fix up places like this in the [buzzword]current economic climate[/buzzword] they would be hung from a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i genuinely think someone should buy it and turn it into a Haunted House attraction. It would make its money back.

maccored wrote: »
    i genuinely think someone should buy it and turn it into a Haunted House attraction. It would make its money back.

Id rather see it turned into the likes of Russborough House or Oldbridge house. I dont think there is enough in paratourism to make money back on the massive investment of purchasing the property and then the liability insurance on keeping it running.

You only have to look at Charleville Castle to see how difficult it is to keep something like that going on the base of paranormal tourism.Truth be told Id love to see the OPW move into Charleville, Tullamore could certainly use a central and national attraction to bring some employment and tourism to the place.

i think tourism is going to be important over the next few years in this country and paratourism could be a new thing. still though, I'd be imagaing a commercial haunted house rather than a castle with a few ghost tales. It would have to be very tongue in cheek and blatently commercial though.

maccored wrote: »
    i think tourism is going to be important over the next few years in this country and paratourism could be a new thing. still though, I'd be imagaing a commercial haunted house rather than a castle with a few ghost tales. It would have to be very tongue in cheek and blatently commercial though.

That sounds good, kind of like a ghost theme park. I may just have to steal your idea. Now I just have to find a bearded lady with 1.8 in the bank.

• Advertisement

i was thikin gof buying just a normal house and then murdering a ton of people in it or something. kinda grow your own ghosts.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Grimes wrote: »
    That sounds good, kind of like a ghost theme park. I may just have to steal your idea. Now I just have to find a bearded lady with 1.8 in the bank.
    Does that Fitzpatrick guys wife have a beard?

Havent been down around there in ages, but last time I saw the place it was crumbling. It will never sell at that money. Maybe they dont want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Tooshjr81

I just spotted this thread and i've often wondered how to get to the place from lets say wexford town, can anyone help me?

Tooshjr81 wrote: »
    I just spotted this thread and i've often wondered how to get to the place from lets say wexford town, can anyone help me?

Follow the signs for Hook Head. You cant miss it.

Link

• Advertisement

thanks Grimes, i didn't fancy driving down and scratching my head wondering where to go. signposts are a great thing :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Someone should just torch the place FFS. Then they would have the choice of renovating it big time, building a new building in its place or showing their possible true colors and doing eff all!

CorkMan wrote: »
    Someone should just torch the place FFS. Then they would have the choice of renovating it big time, building a new building in its place or showing their possible true colors and doing eff all!

Well if it was economically viable i am sure someone would have spent the few million on renovating it by now. I would do it myself but I just bought a house in Dalkey,a yacht in Barbados and a wife in Thailand and cant spare the few million right now for no actual reason. :cool:

Perhaps the owners dont have as much money as Lord Grimes.

CorkMan wrote: »
    They being who exactly? Its privately owned. If the owners were rolling in it it would not be a wreck right now. The problem with the house is its isolation. If you do it up, how do you recoup your money? This house is from an era of landlord owners that is long gone which is why the majority of the big houses have all fallen to ruins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Anyone investigated loftus hall and caught something on tape?

No, Loftus Hall is privately owned and investigations are not allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cherryrowe

I managed through an extremly helpful groundskeeper to gain access to the grounds about 7 months ago. I didn't have access inside the building just the grounds. It is a lovely building but I hear it is soon to be demolished, I am not sure how accurate that information is though. As far as I am aware the building has already been rebuilt and the one standing today is not the one based in the story as that was burned down some years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whahey!

Must be about ten years ago now, even more maybe that me and my parents went to Loftus Hall. Pure look that we actually gained entry, my dad chatted to the lady who owned the place can't remember her name now but she was very nice. My dad worked his charm and she was kind enough to show us around the house. Still remember it so clearly, there was an eery feeling to the house, but god it couldn't fault the beauty of it. Still remember that staircase it gave me shudders being there and standing on it while having flash backs of that documentary about the place with the ghostly lady walking down the staircase! (i was only about thirteen at the time).
    Its a shame really, i was looking on youtube of any videos on Loftus Hall and i found one, i was shocked at the state of the insides. Someone was going around with a video recorder into each room, its a total mess inside! Such a shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Dasbo

I was in the house a good few years ago when I was about 8 or 9 I'd say.

My family used to always holiday in Dunmore East, from where you can see Hook Head and the house used to always fascinate and give me chills every time I saw it. It sticks out like a sore thumb on the flat headland.

Anyway, we took a trip over to visit the lighthouse and passed Loftus Hall so we decided to go in for a look. The gates were open so we went up to the house, the place looked very isolated. There were a couple of other people there as well in a similar situation as ourselves.

So we knocked on the door and an old lady answered and invited us in. I remember her vividly, I was convinced at the time that she was a ghost. She gave us a tour around the downstairs of the house and I can remember it was huge with an impressive staircase. I can remember the tapestry room as well.

After the tour she brought us into the bar - it seemed like the house was a functioning guest house at the time, it just had no guests or hadn't for sometime.

It was only after reading this thread and talking to my father about the visit that I remembered the story about the devil and the roof. But that wasn't the story about the house that stuck with me all those years.

According to the lady, anyone who worked at the hotel/house were either driven to madness or met an unfortunate end. The one story I remember her telling was about a chef that had worked in the house and during an argument with someone he ended up falling down the stairs and breaking his neck. She definitely talked about how the house was haunted. My father mentioned this as well.

It's an eerie place, and even when I was in Dunmore earlier this year I still got shivers anytime I saw it. I have stayed in many supposedly haunted buildings over the last few years and Loftus Hall is definitely the most scary.

It's disappointing to see it fall to such disrepair as it is an amazing building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Any chance of elaborating on these tales the lady told ye, or is what you posted the extent of it? These are new to my ears, so would love to hear about them. Loftus Hall has always intruiged me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Dasbo

GodlessM wrote: »
    Any chance of elaborating on these tales the lady told ye, or is what you posted the extent of it? These are new to my ears, so would love to hear about them. Loftus Hall has always intruiged me.

I wish I remembered them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mac.the.hat

Just wondering if anybody has any idea where one could find out a bit more about Redmond Hall which was on the site before Loftus Hall? Pure fascination but I'd love to get an idea of what the original building layout and dimensions were like... like a rough floorplan or something along those lines.
    Thanks a mil,
    m@c

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

I've always been fascinated by the place, would love to go there and go inside but have heard many stories about the place that frighten the life out of me, not that I believe all that I hear but I wouldn't be too hasty about dismissing all of it either! I've seen a video on Youtube showing the inside of the house, looks an awful state and is a terrible pity as it is a truly gorgeous building! My friend's mam was lucky enough to go inside during the last month and the feeling in there was meant to have been very eerie and unwelcoming! Apparently the 'new' Loftus Hall was built in 1666? Strange! Would love to go there sometime, it should really be done up and opened up as it is truly a treasure! :) Maybe someday I'll get to have a look!

Just wondering if anybody has any idea where one could find out a bit more about Redmond Hall which was on the site before Loftus Hall? Pure fascination but I'd love to get an idea of what the original building layout and dimensions were like... like a rough floorplan or something along those lines.
    Thanks a mil,
    m@c
    Im pretty sure they had a model on display at Hook lighthouse which showed the original loftus hall. Its a while since I was down there so I dont know if its still on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I live fairly near there (about half an hour or so away) but have never been inside. In primary school I remember we were shown a film about it that scared me so much I never wanted to go inside, although I watched the same one a few years and it was more funny than anything.

There are a lot of stories that go around about people who snuck in and saw weird and unexplainable things, and also a lot of stories about when the place was a hotel and people claimed to see the ghost of the woman walking down the stairs or in their bedrooms. I remember one local guy claimed to have snuck in through a window and when he got in, he looked around and was in a room with no doors and only one window (the one he got in). Although I'd be a bit wary on which stories to believe.

The place was a convent for years. The nuns didnt have any problems in the place. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mac.the.hat

No doubt about it, it is a serious place although as Oryx has said, two orders of nuns didn't seem to have any problems there at all... or at least, they weren't saying. The stories all seem to go back to the original building which was replaced with the current structure in 1870-71 and they appear to have been well documented.

Very sad to see it as it is and we can only imagine what it must look like on the inside. Thanks for the tip on Redmond Hall... I'll pop down to the lighthouse at the weekend and have a look around.

m@c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mpower85

loftus hall!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mpower85

another one of loftus hall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Terrible shame to see houses like this get neglected and fall to pieces :(

Advertisement