Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mardle v Taylor

• 04-01-2006 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I was over at this match and was a thrilling match. The finla leg in the first set where they threw over 20 darts at doubles between just set the tone for a thriller. The atmosphere was unbelieveable too and the for mardle to fight back from 3-0 down. It was just an all-round thriller.

How do you all think this game rates when it comes to the all-time list of great matches?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah I was over at this match as well and it was just unbelievable, by far the best atmosphere I have ever been at in any sporting event. The quality of the game was oor for the first few sets but then it picked up. The match had everything and Mardle really should have beaten Taylor. You could see the relief Taylor felt after the match when he was hopping around the stage. Mardle knew he could and should have won it in the end but he blew it. I had money on him at 7-1 to win as well.

Was one of the best matches I have ever seen and was all the more sweet since I was at it and experienced the crowd first hand. Brilliant entertainment for darts!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I agree great match just watching it on the telly, i always remember 1 great match i think it was 1997 at purfleet Taylor v Bristow, Taylor won 5-4 but Bristow had a great comeback and nearly won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

i thought it was a great match too, was wondering why there was no thread started about it, now i realise its cos ye were at it :D , i have to say, i cant remember what score it was, but when taylor left the stage and mardle started playing up to the crowd....i thought to myself "you are gonna lose now" it always happens:D although he could have and really should have won, it just shows it was an off day for taylor considering he went on to play excellent in the final and win 7-0, but he was lucky to get there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

but he was lucky to get there!

very lucky. Was some semi final. Delighted for Mardle though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I think the turning point was when Mardle missed 5 darts at D4 to go 5-3 up...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

BigCon wrote:
    I think the turning point was when Mardle missed 5 darts at D4 to go 5-3 up...

Yeah your dead right there. That was his big chance and would have been 5 sets in a row for Mardle. I dont think Taylor would have come back from that. Ah well, I still think Mardle will be a world champion sometime in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

It was a fantastic game. Gutted that Mardle didnt win, but he shouldn't fear Taylor in future.

The final ended up being a let down after the terrific semi, but Taylor was excellent.

Any more comments lads about your travels? Was it all good? Any bad or disappointing bits? Is drink overpriced at the venue? With so many people with so much drink in them, was there any trouble?

Any more comments lads about your travels? Was it all good? Any bad or disappointing bits? Is drink overpriced at the venue? With so many people with so much drink in them, was there any trouble?

Well we flew into Stanstead which is the closest airport to Purfleet but you still have to get three trains to get to Purfleet train station. We stayed in the Premier Travel Inn which is only ten minutes walk away from the Circus Tavern and its a nice Hotel. It was packed full of Darts fans so the residents bar was great fun after the matches. It takes about 30 mins by train to get from the centre of London to purfleet which isnt bad at all.

Purfleet itself isnt the nicest place in the world :) and the Circus Tavern is out by itself on the side of a motorway. Its not that nice a venue at all and is actually a lap dancing club at the weekends believe it or not. The major problem I had with it was that it wasnt first come first served to where you get to sit. Obviously the middle section will be reserved for season ticket holders but I though that like the City West that the rest of the place would be first come first served. This wasnt the case and you were actually seated by the staff. My problem is that it doesnt say on your tickets where you will be seated by rather the staff have a chart and sit you according to it. So although all the ticket prices were the same you could end up with a very bad view. Luckily it didnt happen to us and we had a pretty good spot, and they do have tvs everywhere so you wont miss anything. The venue is quite small really with the centre section and two side sections. There is a bar behind the centre section that you cant see on the TV and also a bar on the right where we were sitting. You can also buy food there which is reasonably priced.

They only has two beers on tap, Stella and XXXX Castlemaine but they had bottles of fosters as well. A pint cost £3.20 and a bottle of Fosters £2.50 so pints were pretty dear but bottles werent that bad. Queues were grand so you could get a beer pretty quickly. They also had the usual Ladbrokes betting stands and Darts shops and PDC merchandise shops so there was plenty to spend your money on.

There was no trouble there at all, and although evrybody is fairly tanked up there is just a great atmosphere. I have never been to a sporting event before with a better atmosphere than Mardle and Taylors match. Mardle came out after the game into the crowd to sign autographs and stuff and he seemed his usual happy self despite losing. So it was a fantastic time and although the Circus Tavern isnt the nicest place in the world, and the smoke really annoying me, it was a brilliant experience and I will definitely be going back next year. there is nothing like going to a Darts game and experiencing that atmosphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Well worth every penny lads!!

Advertisement