Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite broadband

• 04-01-2006 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi
    I live in an area where, given the current state of technology, broadband by conventional means will never be available (take my word for it, it's just not gonna happen:-). So I am looking at satellite. I have been following the various well-informed discussions on this board so I think I am reasonably well up on the pros (and, if the critics are right, the many, many cons) of satellite.
    Here's my query: In order for satellite to be worth my while, it would need to provide me with access to not just websurfing but also newsgroups, p2p and whatever else you can think of that regular broadbanders take for granted (with the exception of gaming and VOIP. I understand they're not available but hey I can live with that). Can anybody who currently uses satellite let me know if these other services are supported?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

You already know the answer! Don't waste your time on it.

In order for satellite to be worth my while, ....p2p and whatever else you can think of that regular broadbanders take for granted
    Its just not going to do this. They are not even comparable. p2p - well the problem with it is that you will have a dial-up uplink (unless your thinking of 2 way sat in which case the cost is prohibitive). Furthermore, the small data allowance you get from a sat bb provider is going to restrict your use of p2p.

I live in an area where, given the current state of technology, broadband by conventional means will never be available (take my word for it, it's just not gonna happen:-).
    Well give the area a mention in this thread anyways. Maybe theres someone whos making inroads in getting bb to your area. Maybe theres a couple more people on boards who are from your neck of the woods, want bb as bad as you - and between you, you could get a group broadband scheme started.

Nothing to lose..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paragon

:eek: No no no no NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don’t do it. We do not use the words satellite and broadband together they simply do not tango
    It may seem like a good idea and I know you said there is nothing else available but DON’T GET A SATELLITE……….. NO. I had the Aramiska service for a while 2Mb down and 512 up contention ratio 4:1. P2P will work for about 5 minutes before the ARC box dies then you have to turn it off and back on again praying it will re associate. The latency is worse than having 14.4 dialup and ping’s average 1200ms (that’s on a good day) and with this you have a mother of a dish on the side of your house mine was 1.2 metre. Also the smallest hint of cloud will drop it off. It wont work, it will piss you off even more. Listen to Mr eurorunner wait for a WISP. IBB are not an option either and should never ever be considered believe me I was there too. There are plenty of other Wireless providers who know what they are doing and do provide a real service. Some are small and may have some minor glitches but give them a chance they won’t be arsing around like IBB. Let us know where you are from and we may be able to point you in the right direction

Advertisement