Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Guinness High Site - Is it me or him?

• 05-01-2006 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Here's how my connection (3MB/3MB - 24:1) is performing right now:

Crap%20Ping%20@%20IBB.JPG

Anybody here on the Guinness mast having big problems like myself? My pings have been crap for the past 3/4 weeks and I finally decided to call IBB yesterday to get them to fix it and when I come home tonight it's even worse than before!?!?! I don't know what they're up to! :mad:

Is it just me or is it the Guinness high site?

Thank you for your help!

PS: Avoid IBB!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

What happened with Metro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

It happened that Nissan on Prussia Street have too big a roof! Didn't even have the courage to post how bad that went... Nearly cried when they told me (after coming out 3 times and having me hoping for 5 weeks!) I had no LoS... :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

It happened that Nissan on Prussia Street have too big a roof! Didn't even have the courage to post how bad that went... Nearly cried when they told me (after coming out 3 times and having me hoping for 5 weeks!) I had no LoS... :(:(:(

Steph go back to DSL get SMART or BT ! ditch IBB its not worth it

Drapper wrote:
    Steph go back to DSL get SMART or BT ! ditch IBB its not worth it
    SMART is not available in my area until March 2006 (or so they say)... BT means re-activating my phone line and dealing with Eircom. A big no no for me. NTL not available. Digiweb Metro no Line of Sight... Getting so fu*king pissed off now... :mad:

Smart means reactivating your phone line too. In comparison to the **** you're putting up with now, getting ADSL isn't that big a deal. It will take a few months to setup, though, unless the process can be speeded up with a manual test, but I doubt BT would be interested in the hassle.

• Advertisement

SMART is not available in my area until March 2006 (or so they say)... BT means re-activating my phone line and dealing with Eircom. A big no no for me. NTL not available. Digiweb Metro no Line of Sight... Getting so fu*king pissed off now... :mad:
    Cany understand when people say "reactivating a phone line" is an issue! if you wanna use a reliable service you got make some sacrafices!

your on 3meg IBB business = 70 Euro + house of telephone costs to thier help desk(crappy service)
    with Eircom line rental (€27) + Bt (30) = 57 Euro (or whatever it is, I'm guessing)

you get peace of mind and a service that works, and will be ugrading to 3meg this month !

wheres the glitch? your a hardcore gamer (and a good one) can't be missing out on your online time!

Ditch IBB

I've downgraded to 2MB so I'm only paying €48.40 EUR a month now. Going back to Eircom/BT thus means paying more, having a download cap, poorer upload (thus higher ping if compared to IBB ***when it works***) and a lot of hassle IMO...

I'm gonna give IBB one last chance. There is a new high site in Park House. That's a building only 200 yards away. It's a new mast so no over-subscribing... It's so close that the connection should be rock steady.
    I bet you I won't have a LoS but if I do, there's still hope!

Yeah, what do you think the chances are that they will bother their arses to send somebody out to realign your aerial? Within let's say the next three months? There's nothing in it for them, other than a potentially happy customer but that doesn't seem to matter to them.

BT Ireland is €50 all in. That's €1.60 more for something that works, with marginally higher pings. Your choice at the end of the day.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Yeah, what do you think the chances are that they will bother their arses to send somebody out to realign your aerial? Within let's say the next three months? There's nothing in it for them, other than a potentially happy customer but that doesn't seem to matter to them.

BT Ireland is €50 all in. That's €1.60 more for something that works, with marginally higher pings. Your choice at the end of the day.
    They're sending an engineer for sure. Next week (as they have a backlog because of Christmas/New Year). If my problems are not sorted with IBB, I'll just wait until March and get SMART... I don't mind reactivating my phone line for them.

They're sending an engineer for sure. Next week (as they have a backlog because of Christmas/New Year). If my problems are not sorted with IBB, I'll just wait until March and get SMART... I don't mind reactivating my phone line for them.

Don't hold your breath buddy !

• Advertisement

Well guess what! Got a call from IBB asking me if I was home tomorrow morning to check LoS on Park House! :eek: Nearly fell off my chair!
    Unfortunately, they failed to spot that they needed a cherry picker or an extra long ladder to get on my roof so it will have to wait until Tuesday morning... Still, not bad!
    And: I rang IBB 5/6 times in the past 3 days and never waited more than 1 minute before talking to a Rep.!
    I think IBB are actually really trying to improve things... Yeah I know: shocking! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Yeah there really improving things. Ive never waited more than 2 mins in the last month and they are sending out engineers left right and center to fix customer probs,really getting there ass in gear.People are really friendly too :p

I agree with you there Rattlehead_ie! Especially about the friendliness! The Customer Support Rep. in charge of this particular problem I'm having right now has been phenomenal! Keep it up IBB! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭theceltichitman

As a matter of interest, what number are you calling this magical under 1 min IBB Customer Service on?

As a matter of interest, what number are you calling this magical under 1 min IBB Customer Service on?
    1890 56 44 56 then press 2 then 1 (hate waiting for the woman to list the options...) and hey presto, you're on the phone to a rep.! :eek: It's magic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭theceltichitman

winner, thanks, will give it a whirl in the morning.

winner, thanks, will give it a whirl in the morning.
    Let us know how you get on! ;)

yeah Im with Steff on this one!Let us know how u get on

UPDATE:

IBB Engineers just left. I am now on the Park House mast and connection is rock solid! Ping in CoD2 is 48ms and it does not move by a single ms! :eek: Download speed from heanet: perfect 210KB/s (I downgraded my connection from 3MB to 2MB)!

Here's how my connection is performing at present:

Irish%20ISP%20Test%2010.01.06.JPG

I think you'll all agree: MASSIVE improvement when compared to screenshot posted in OP! :D

I am delighted! Thank you IBB for finally fixing my connection! Hope it lasts! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

yep looks like my connection does. :) so if it stays u'll be well happy.

Although for some reason my download is 2Mbps but my upload is 4Mbps....

if only it was other way round! :p

• Advertisement

I hope to God it stays that way!!! Fingers crossed!!!

Hopefully it will dude, was gona email you and see if it was working,but good luck and happy fragging

Hopefully it will dude, was gona email you and see if it was working,but good luck and happy fragging
    Definitely working better than when I was on Guinness! Ping is rock steady! Few spikes here and there at very long intervals but it's like a million times better than before so I'm DE-LIGH-TED so I am! :D Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Blaster99 wrote:

In fairness now. I had IBB out to my place just before Christmas and I had 2MB up 2MB down .. I checked it. They did fix it. Having said that I was down to 1.05 MB and 1.67MB lastnight. I have been with IBB for a long time now and I disagree with the "There's nothing in it for them" attitude. I really believe they are a company that have crap communication between engineers, billing and customer support - but I think over the last month or so that they have made some good progress.

I have had some really frustrating days as an IBB customer. They had their last chance just before they showed up to fix it at Christmas.

I signed up for BT!! I was hoping that when I got the modem I could cancel IBB. Its not going well at the moment though, there is a problem with the phone line. BT are looking into it though. I would rather go with BT than IBB - at least I will have a phone line.

Only complaint with IBB is that their price is a little high in comparison to other providers, and it take far too long for them to sort out technical issues, considering their price is higher.

I am seriously hoping that BT manage to sort out the issue with my line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

bubby wrote:
    Having said that I was down to 1.05 MB and 1.67MB

Yeah even i get that some nights. I put it down to contention. Its worst around tea time. By late night and during day its back to near perfect speeds. Doesn't affect my pings so it's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RekcaH

@steffano: Park House? ...as in the phoenix park?

trying to make a list o mast positions..

Yeah, near the Phoenix Par, Hanlon's Corner to be more precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Was posting a reply, got beaten to it, but I will share that it is indeed Hanlons Corner and its the invert T shaped building at 53°21'28.38"N 6°17'13.75"W in Google Earth. I'm actually just down the road from there but I get a rock solid signal from ESB (in Merrion Square!) so I'm happy as I am. Though it is nice to know I have a nice safety net close by in case some big pops up between me and town...

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I hope to God it stays that way!!! Fingers crossed!!!

Well mine has been good for almost 2 months now. But then 2 months is the magic number and it seemed bad.

• Advertisement

Let's just all cross our fingers and toes I say! :D

Advertisement