Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming To An End

Options
  • 05-01-2006 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

How does everyone feel about finishing in UCD this summer, loving the idea or dreading it? Im going to be 21 leaving college:eek: and am not looking forward to it at all, dont think im ready for thw world and its sober ways yet. Am even considering some sorts of masters type thingy cos I feel like I have a bit of wildness left in me... a bloody lot of alchool to drink and a lot more drunken injuries to nurse. Im not ready to be a :o taxpayer. Anyone else in this conundrum? And dont suggest a backpacking holiday or a snorkeling trip, Id rather hibernate. I mean, when am I ever going to get the excuse to stay out drinking til first light again, and sleep at a bus stop while maintaining some sense of dignity and self-respect?!

Tis the student life...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Yea was nearly in that situation at the start of this year with a pass degree and it was one very unpleasant prospect! As it is I'm repeating 3rd year with another year and a half of college, phew!
    I'm planning on spending as long as I possibly can in college so if I can manage it it'll be a masters or PhD for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭zinc

Well thing is a Masters gets quite hard, a lot of free time but a lot of work all the same, you'll still be just a student but the bar will have been raised a fair bit.

But yeah Im the same, Im still 21 now doing the Masters, I'd say go for the Masters though if you dont want to face that brutal cold hearted world just yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

cool do you know how difficult it is to get into a masters programme as regards your degree score? i reckon I might scrape a 2.1 if I really accelerate but a first is highly unlikely... going on last years graduates Id say its damn near out of the question... and shouldnt i really be getting my skates on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I donno if this applies to every masters course but any of the ones I know of will accept a 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*sigh* I'm 21 and in 2nd year, plenty more college for me! :p
    If I'd stayed in my old course, I'd be graduating this summer, that's a bit of a scary thought!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭zinc

cool do you know how difficult it is to get into a masters programme as regards your degree score? i reckon I might scrape a 2.1 if I really accelerate but a first is highly unlikely... going on last years graduates Id say its damn near out of the question... and shouldnt i really be getting my skates on?

Depends on your subject really, what subject are you doing? Most arts subjects will let you in on a high 2.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I'll be 40 when (if) I get the BA.

Done the work thing for 20 odd years; didn't like it. If I can, I think I'll be the eternal student. MA in archaeology for me if I can make the grades, if not a course in adult education.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

How does everyone feel about finishing in UCD this summer, loving the idea or dreading it? Im going to be 21 leaving college and am not looking forward to it at all, dont think im ready for thw world and its sober ways yet. Am even considering some sorts of masters type thingy cos I feel like I have a bit of wildness left in me... a bloody lot of alchool to drink and a lot more drunken injuries to nurse. Im not ready to be a taxpayer. Anyone else in this conundrum? And dont suggest a backpacking holiday or a snorkeling trip, Id rather hibernate. I mean, when am I ever going to get the excuse to stay out drinking til first light again, and sleep at a bus stop while maintaining some sense of dignity and self-respect?!

Tis the student life...

I'm 21 and have another 2 years to go! Don't think I ever experienced the "student life"....maybe I never will :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

At least you can still do a masters and put it off for another year! I'mm 22 and half way through my masters now - come September its either job or travelling for me - no more college :(

zinc wrote:
    Depends on your subject really, what subject are you doing? Most arts subjects will let you in on a high 2.1.

Veterinary so i think because its a very small faculty sorry *school*, they only take the top few grads (the intellectocracy) for internships and MSc's. I could always apply for other places like Conway I suppose, not sure how that works. If all else fails I reckon I'll just become like old homeless guy and wander campus eternally except in my case with a naggin. That guy must be nearing retirement actually, maybe I could inherit his turf...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Absolutely cannot wait to get out of college. Don't have the concentration or motivation to keep going, this is my 7th year on the trot.. and I've had it!! Really looking forward to having a life, being able to afford stuff and travelling in a few years. Wooo hoooo roll on June!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Well I'm finishing my degree in May. It's all a bit surreal at the moment. I try not to think about it.

New Zealand in less than 2 years time though.........I prefer to focus on that. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I was partof the system for two years. Working every hour god gave me and never having enough money or enough time to spend the money. Then i came back to college ... w00! Easy life except that im broke and my mates pull in the big bucks. 2.5 years left of a degree and then a masters . Then a jon in what I wana do. I guess if you have a plan or a job you want to be in then its not so bad.

Grimes wrote:
    Then a jon in what I wana do. I guess if you have a plan or a job you want to be in then its not so bad.

Dont get me wrong I want the job, I just want to keep the student lifestyle as well. I know that somebody, somewhere out there wants to hire someone who works optional hours, goes missing for days at the mention of ragweek, never shows up before eleven - a kind of dreamworld where hangovers dont generate client concerns and beans on toast is for fancy toffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I'll be finishing in May also. I haven't decieded about a postgrad yet. It feels weird to think college should be over. There's so many things I think I should have done that I haven't. I almost feel like I've missed a huge oppertunity...

Syth wrote:
    I'll be finishing in May also. I haven't decieded about a postgrad yet. It feels weird to think college should be over. There's so many things I think I should have done that I haven't. I almost feel like I've missed a huge oppertunity...

Have you completed the college checklist to decide whether or not youve fulfilled adequately the UCD requirements for graduation?
    • Swam with the swans
    • Danced naked on the big giant sperm egg
    • Scored, or attempted to score a lecturer (failed attempts all the better)
    • Drunken injury(-ies) requiring hospitalization
    • Taken in for questioning by librocop
    • Been in trouble with services
    • Taken part in at least three protests/ rallies
    • Abstained from all SU elections
    • Visited *Daram's House*
    • Lost your virginity if female
    • Have accumulated at least 48hrs of alcohol induced amnesia
    • Have been drunk at lectures
    • Contracted lichenellosis from the factory, I mean resteraunt

Just realized I have ticked so few of those boxes... theres no way I can let myself finish yet! Its either MSc or repeat 5th year Im afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

heehee i've ticked eight off the list.... roll on semester two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I know that somebody, somewhere out there wants to hire someone who works optional hours, goes missing for days , never shows up before eleven - a kind of dreamworld

His name is bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Have you completed the college checklist to decide whether or not youve fulfilled adequately the UCD requirements for graduation?
    • Swam with the swans
    • Danced naked on the big giant sperm egg
    • Scored, or attempted to score a lecturer (failed attempts all the better)
    • Drunken injury(-ies) requiring hospitalization
    • Taken in for questioning by librocop
    • Been in trouble with services
    • Taken part in at least three protests/ rallies
    • Abstained from all SU elections
    • Visited *Daram's House*
    • Lost your virginity if female
    • Have accumulated at least 48hrs of alcohol induced amnesia
    • Have been drunk at lectures
    • Contracted lichenellosis from the factory, I mean resteraunt

Never done/want to do any of those. (except the virginity thing of course ;) )
    Id also probably be the person leading a protest against the protest.

Pythia wrote:
    Never done/want to do any of those. (except the virginity thing of course ;) )
    Id also probably be the person leading a protest against the protest.

Well... I just hope youre not thinking of graduating anytime soon you have a lot of work to catch up on dude/ dudette

Edit: you dont want to swim with swanny? Ban pythia! Ban the heathen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

panda100 wrote:
    His name is bertie

Huh-ho. You'll never make the Kevin Barry Cumann with tha attitude.;)

Oh right, I just got that now! I thought Bertie was a randomer or something, sounds like some dwarf man aged about 170 who might be liable to wander campus smiling at people. Dont know why... names mean different things to different people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Oh right, I just got that now! I thought Bertie was a randomer or something, sounds like some dwarf man aged about 170 who might be liable to wander campus smiling at people. Dont know why... names mean different things to different people.

Sounds like you had it bang-on to me! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Im going to be 21 leaving college

My goodness thats young, ill be 21 in may and im only in first year albeit for the second time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

[*]Taken part in at least three protests/ rallies

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

your description of students doing feck all reminded me of many of our ff politicians who swan around,having weeks off at a time,and instead of a ragweek they have their galway races and the likes.

But thats why politicians are legends they shouldnt be taking stuff so seriously with all those committee meetings, they should be betting the GDP on an outsider in the Galway Plate! Go on the Bertie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Edit: you dont want to swim with swanny? Ban pythia! Ban the heathen!

Not wanting to swim with swanny should be a banable offence, possibly.

Have fullfilled less of those conditions than I'd prefer good thing that its not time to go for two and a half years!

Not wanting to swim with swanny should be a banable offence, possibly.

Have fullfilled less of those conditions than I'd prefer good thing that its not time to go for two and a half years!

I hate you you... young people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I'm a repeat sucka! However I am still gonna be only 22 leavin college.

Advertisement