Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Number plate anti-camara coating;

Options
  • 05-01-2006 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used the spray-on coating on number plates to distort them from speed cameras? I'd be interested to see if it really works and also any info on the number plates I've seen advertised with the same kind of effect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

it works but only if the paint is black an you spray it on the speed camera :)

I always wanted to hang a photo of someone i hated car on a coat hanger in front of a speed camera. Every time it went off it would photograph the photo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

has anyone seen the speed camera near Ballough north dublin?
    Looks like someone took offence to it.
    Yea I saw this stuff tested on tv didn't work. (mythbusters)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It only works on Metal rear plates with Gatso Fixed cams only. Won't work on Gatso Mobile cameras at all. The spray causes over exposure of the film due to the flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

How about just having a slightly dodgy front numberplate. I see a lot of cars with the center missing from the "D" or a "0", or the bit in the middle of the "C" hanging off. I know this is probably from trying to park, but you would wonder if it has a secondary effect.

I would assume with the resolution of a gatso it would be difficult to be sure of the precise reg.

(I have never tried this, know if it has any effect, nor particularly approve of it if it does.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The camera in Ballough was taken down after someone had a go at it, I think. Why they waited until AFTER the M1 was open and there was almost no traffic on the road any more is, of course, one of life's great mysteries. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Irish Anti Speed Camera photo solution - don't wash your car !:D

Silvera wrote:
    Irish Anti Speed Camera photo solution - don't wash your car !:D
    Indeed :D

Problem is that I got pulled over the other week for having dirty plates. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

do the cameras take pictures from front or rear?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Bond-007 wrote:
    Indeed :D

what did they do about it?

slap you on the wrist and send you on your way?

is there even a fine for repeatly being caught with dirty plates?

i cleaned mine there last week, car is still filthy though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Bond-007 wrote:

Hope they didn't notice that you have those rotating number plates on your Aston Martin DB5 :D - sorry couldn't resist!

D.

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote:
    what did they do about it?

slap you on the wrist and send you on your way?

is there even a fine for repeatly being caught with dirty plates?

i cleaned mine there last week, car is still filthy though :(
    Excatly, I got told off and sent on my way! He told me I could be fined up to €1000 for dirty plates.
    Hope they didn't notice that you have those rotating number plates on your Aston Martin DB5 - sorry couldn't resist!
    LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

maidhc wrote:
    How about just having a slightly dodgy front numberplate. I see a lot of cars with the center missing from the "D" or a "0", or the bit in the middle of the "C" hanging off. I know this is probably from trying to park, but you would wonder if it has a secondary effect.

I would assume with the resolution of a gatso it would be difficult to be sure of the precise reg.

(I have never tried this, know if it has any effect, nor particularly approve of it if it does.)
    The missing centres on '0', 'D' etc. used to happen on poor quality metal plates. It had nothing to do with poor parking. AFAIK these plates are being phased out.

A lot of truck drivers (usually in tippers) drive around without removing the blue coloured plastic film which comes with the registration plates. Is this a ploy to avoid detection by speed cameras?. I see a lot of older trucks around with newly made plates.

maidhc wrote:

Problem is that the Gardai can check both combinations till they get the correct vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Gaillimhtaibhse

Possible solution? Heard some people Stateside cover their license plates with that material used to restrict viewing your computer screen from an angle. Cut it to size. Since the cameras are shot from an angle (from the side; overhead; whatever), the plate appears a little fuzzy. Who knows for sure?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

One could always try the 'obey the speed limit' method of avoiding detection. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

murphaph wrote:
    One could always try the 'obey the speed limit' method of avoiding detection. ;)

Yeah but that would be the sensible thing to do ... 'sense' and 'boards.ie' dont go in the same sentence :D

JohnCleary wrote:
    Yeah but that would be the sensible thing to do ... 'sense' and 'boards.ie' dont go in the same sentence :D
    Oh yeah! Anyway-everyone speeds (even 51 in a 50 is speeding), wasn't trying to come over all high and mighty there :D

e have so few fixed gatso locations it's hardly worth getting any of these anti-gatso devices. The dirty number plate is the best. Look at the state of the rodas around Adamstown, it's a complete mudslick all around there (I ride a bike and it's deadly). Fcukin Castlethorn homes should have proper wheelwashing equipment on site to at least try and minimise the muck being brought onto the public highway. Anyway, that wouldn't do Castlethorn's bottom line any good so they don't bother.

murphaph wrote:
    Look at the state of the rodas around Adamstown, it's a complete mudslick all around there (I ride a bike and it's deadly). Fcukin Castlethorn homes should have proper wheelwashing equipment on site to at least try and minimise the muck being brought onto the public highway. Anyway, that wouldn't do Castlethorn's bottom line any good so they don't bother.

They are legally obliged to have a road sweeper operating if mud and debris are being brought onto road. Contact you local authority and report it. I've done this several times and it worked.
    A friend of mine parked his car across the entrance of a building site recently blocking the entrance and exit of trucks. A stand-off ensued and there was pandemonium. Garda were eventually called and sided with the car driver. Road sweeper duly arrived and has been there since.

Litcagral wrote:
    They are legally obliged to have a road sweeper operating if mud and debris are being brought onto road. Contact you local authority and report it. I've done this several times and it worked.
    A friend of mine parked his car across the entrance of a building site recently blocking the entrance and exit of trucks. A stand-off ensued and there was pandemonium. Garda were eventually called and sided with the car driver. Road sweeper duly arrived and has been there since.
    I'm fcuking sick of writing to Fingal Co Co (my local council) about roads related stuff. They are an ignorant shower and don't respond half the time. As for SDCC (Adamstown), let someone in the local area complain. Btw, Castlethorn have a road sweeper, all it does is turn large lumps of clay into a thin smear of very slippery mud across the entire road (and it's at a bad humpback bridge to begin with!). The roadsweeper is not a solution. They need a wheelwash to prevent debris even leaving the site.

Edit: I'm not unreasonable-if a site will be in existance for a few weeks I can tolerate it but Adamstown is going to take 10 years to finish!

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote:
    I'm fcuking sick of writing to Fingal Co Co (my local council) about roads related stuff. They are an ignorant shower and don't respond half the time. As for SDCC (Adamstown), let someone in the local area complain. Btw, Castlethorn have a road sweeper, all it does is turn large lumps of clay into a thin smear of very slippery mud across the entire road (and it's at a bad humpback bridge to begin with!). The roadsweeper is not a solution. They need a wheelwash to prevent debris even leaving the site.

Edit: I'm not unreasonable-if a site will be in existance for a few weeks I can tolerate it but Adamstown is going to take 10 years to finish!

Fingal is also my Co Co and I always found them to be helpful regarding roadsweepers. I usually telephone rather than write.

Litcagral wrote:
    Fingal is also my Co Co and I always found them to be helpful regarding roadsweepers.
    I've never called them about roadsweepers (I live in an established area, no sites nearby, thank God!) but I have written to them about poor road signage on numerous occasions. I'm going to start calling the local councillors and TDs to see if they can get FCC to put up the correct damn signs at the roundabout on Blanchardstown Road South/Clonsilla Road!! Arrghhh.

Note that ALL the bus lane signs on the New Ongar Distributor Road are incorrect, refering to offside bus lanes (I've never seen one in Ireland!). They didn't respond when I wrote to them about those.

[QUOTE=murphaph
    Note that ALL the bus lane signs on the New Ongar Distributor Road are incorrect, refering to offside bus lanes (I've never seen one in Ireland!). They didn't respond when I wrote to them about those.[/QUOTE]

Offside bus lanes - I've heard it all now. Must make the positioning of bus stops a bit awkward!!!!! I think they have them on the M4 going into London.

Litcagral wrote:
    I think they have them on the M4 going into London.
    That's the only place I think I've ever heard of them in the British Isles! I've never actually seen one, though the sign does exist in Irish law, and that's what's been erected on the new road. You'd think the sign maker might have even queried it, but no. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I don't condone having dirty plates, btw!
    I just said that it seems to be a particularly 'Irish' problem.

(I always keep my car/plates clean).

Litcagral,
    I'd say the reason some lorry drivers don't remove the blue covering on their (new) reg plates, is to try and make them last a bit longer.
    Plates on gravel/sand-carrying lorries get 'worn out' a lot sooner than any car plates ever would due to the amount of grit they pick up and consequently the driver having to wipe them every day or so.

When I was in Australia and New Zealand last year, I noticed that a lot of drivers there had clear plastic protector covers over their plates. (Oz and NZ plates are made from pressed aluminium).

Such covers would be a great idea for Ireland - it would save metal plates from having their paint worn down/off due to washing/wiping them (particularly for lorries).

Anybody ever come across such clear plastic covers for Irish/UK-sized plates ?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Bond-007 wrote:
    Excatly, I got told off and sent on my way! He told me I could be fined up to €1000 for dirty plates.

LOL!

I was behind a guy the other night and his car was spotless except for his totally muddy plates - I asked herself to nip out when we were stopped and clean them for him with a baby wipe but she declined...

murphaph wrote:
    That's the only place I think I've ever heard of them in the British Isles! I've never actually seen one, though the sign does exist in Irish law, and that's what's been erected on the new road. You'd think the sign maker might have even queried it, but no. :(

Are they possibly contra-flow bus lanes? I'm not familiar with the road in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Gaillimhtaibhse

Does anyone think the Garda trolls this thread?:v: :v: :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Does anyone think the Garda trolls this thread?:v: :v: :v:

I hope so - Someone has to tell them how little they are actually doing (Traffic corps that is)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Back on topic people!!!!
    does this coating work ?? where can it be purchased?etc

2pages of small talk and not 1 informative post, tsk tsk tsk.

Advertisement