Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Does Guideplus work in ireland?

• 05-01-2006 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

I have been posting here and there as to whether I should get Sky+ & DVD Recorder or just a higher spec DVD recorder with Hard Disk. The real reason I want it is for recording and NOT to have to set the timer etc. Sky+ would be ideal for that, but do you have to set timers manually in the DVD recorders?
    I see tha some of them have Guideplus that downloads the epg's from Sky etc. But in Sony Athlone today a salesman told me it wont work here.

Is there any other system or is Sky+ the only option?

Thnx
    K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

If you dont want to set timers, sky+ is the best option for you, and you get a second tuner. The only other way to record without timers is via a media centre pc connected to your digibox, using the media centre epg like sky+.

afaik guideplus only works with UK DTT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

hawthorn wrote:
    I see tha some of them have Guideplus that downloads the epg's from Sky etc.
    Are you sure you've seen that some of them have Guideplus that downloads the epg from Sky? If so can you post a link. Sky's epg is proprietry and AFAIK has never been shared with a 3rd pary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Wonder could anyone check this out also.
    According to guideplus, ITV (analogue) is the host carrier for the Guideplus data and Eurosport is the carrier for satelite.
    Should it be possible to receive guideplus data through NTL cable (ITV)?
    IT would likely not have programme infor for the 4 irish stations though.

I want a Pioneer 160gb DVD rec. more than I actually think I need it :) maybe there is life in the VCR yet.

On Richersounds it states a dual tuner (UHF/VHF) is required for us here in the south and has a limited range of DVDrec's with this feature. Will a unit designed for UK PAL definitely not work here?

Can you copy copyrighted DVD's which you own onto the Hard drive to create a movie jukebox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 Kane

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50385670#post50385670

bought the Sharp DV-HR400H recently from PowerCity (€350) which also has the Guide Plus+ system. I can confirm that the Guide Plus EPG can work in Ireland - although it is not perfect.

http://www.powercity.ie/test.asp?par=10-17-R400H

I have NTL Digital with the normal NTL Terrestial also. The EPG works on virtually all the terrestial and digital channels except TV3, TG4 and a few of the "+1" channels.

In order to get it working for me I set Guide Plus+ up as follows:
    1) Say you live in Northern Ireland (put in a northern post code)
    2) Input #1 is NTL Digital (I said I had NTL cable from Langley). This allows the DVD Recorder to switch channels on the NTL box.
    3) Input #2 is Sky Digital (from Northern Ireland). This puts RTE1+2 on the Program Guide - even though I don't have a Sky box!!

As with a normal video recorder with NTL digital, if you are taping a Digital Channel (e.g. BBC3) you can only watch terrestial channels.

Not as good as Sky+, but still a really good purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Kane wrote:
    In order to get it working for me I set Guide Plus+ up as follows:
    1) Say you live in Northern Ireland (put in a northern post code)
    2) Input #1 is NTL Digital (I said I had NTL cable from Langley). This allows the DVD Recorder to switch channels on the NTL box.
    3) Input #2 is Sky Digital (from Northern Ireland). This puts RTE1+2 on the Program Guide - even though I don't have a Sky box!!

As with a normal video recorder with NTL digital, if you are taping a Digital Channel (e.g. BBC3) you can only watch terrestial channels.

Not as good as Sky+, but still a really good purchase.

I'm trying to set this up with the Pioneer dvr 530. When setting up the input #1 did it actually change the digital channel for you or will it need to download the epg first?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Sweetie how did you get on with the 530? Does GuidePlus work ok? I'm looking to set it up with Sky Digital but don't want to buy anything until I can confirm the EPG will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Satfinder

See here for details.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have you ever seen the phantom pvr? Can use it with normal sky to record through the autoview feature. I use it with my dvd hdd.

Advertisement