Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illustrator CS2 Drop Shadow/Transparency Issue

Options
  • 05-01-2006 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Has anyone come across a problem when flattening transparency and printing Illustrator files from CS/CS2 that include drop shadows? Every time I print, it seems to separate and distinguish backgrounds areas that include the drop shadows? In other words, the background colour may be the same throughout the whole document, but, under text for example, it will be a different shade.

I cant seem to figure it out at all. Sorry if this is confusing, I'll post a pic of the problem soon if I can.

EDIT: example_01.jpg

I'm gonna post this over in 'Operating Systems > Mac' as well :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Do you have differring opacities on the texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

No, all 100% white, with identical drop shadows!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Whoops, sorry, I thought you were talking about the text/shadow as opposed to the dark green colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Can somebody try this (if you have the time!) and see if you get the same result as the jpg posted above...

Illustrator CS2 (Mac, OSX 10.3.9)

1) Click 'File > New' (A4, CMYK)
    2) Place a box on the page (anywhere, any size) and fill with CMYK 66-0-90-0 (it's just the green I'm using with this file, I presume any colour will give the same result.)
    3) Using the standard Myriad Roman font (or any font really), place some (white) type in the centre of the box, anything at all, just a few characters will probably do.
    4) Click on 'Effect > Document Raster Effects Settings' and choose 300ppi.
    5) Select the type and then select 'Filter > Stylize > Drop Shadow'. I used: Multiply, 100% Black, 75% Opacity, X=0.75mm, Y=0.75mm, Blur=0.75mm.
    6) Click 'File > Save As'. Choose EPS as the format and then in the dialog box select 'High' as the Transparency setting. (This is where I have an issue as it still says the document contains artwork that needs flattening!?)

Now, print this .eps file. I selected 'Simulate' for the Overprint setting and 'High' for Transparency.

I got the same result as the jpg posted above. Am I missing something? Why am I getting the different greens when printed?

Advertisement