Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE DVDs

• 05-01-2006 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Simple question really, which WWE dvd that you have seen is your favourite, and why?

For me, it would have to be The Monday Night War, simply because it tells a great story of a time of wrestling when I didnt even know WCW existed. How close the wwe went to closing down altogether is amazing, and how WCW screwed it all up by letting the big name stars write their own contracts and having thier own creative control. If you have not seen this, it comes highly recommended.

The Rise And Fall of ECW is also a very good watch. It shows all sides of Heyman, and certainly now I can see why he was known as the mad professor. Some of the matches and angles were so shocking and brutal. I havent watched the extras yet, but Im sure when I do, it will re-inforce my thoughts on this.

I watched the documentary part of the Eddie Guerrero DVD the other day, and must say i thought it was utter crap. It was too short, it didnt really chronicle his career in Japan or anywhere else. In one scene he has been released by wwe, the very next he is champion. Why didnt it give a bit of insight into his time working the indies, and why the wwe called him back? Why didnt it show his rise through the midcard until eventually getting that main event spot? Ive yet to watch to the extras, but Im told they save this dvd.

Also watched the Bret Hart DVD. Good watch, but have similar reservations on it, in that it was too hurried. One minute he is IC champ, the next he is heavyweight champ. That said, it was good to see his rise in Stampede wrestling, and how the Hart Foundation was formed, how close Bret was to quitting. Unfortunatley it didnt tell us why it broke up, merely brushing over it. Also, besides the HBK feud, it didnt give any info on any big feuds he had in the title scene, apart from Mr Perfect in the IC division. Bret also came across as a complete tosser at times, saying that the IC loss in Wembley was a bigger match got him than the Bulldog, and how his entire Championship run was done to build HBK, and not to make himself look good.

There are plenty other good ones, like Beyond The Mat, and Wrestling With Shadows, though these arent strictly WWE DVDs.

Anyone got any other good recomendations, and not only wwe, but other promotions, documentaries etc???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I quite enjoyed the NWO Back In Black DVD since, like you I missed out on most of the Monday night Wars era and didn't really know what all the NWO fuss was about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

For us, it was the friday night wars and i didnt have "the turner network" so didnt have a choice. :D
    Saw the Eddie Guerrero DVD. Thought it was very rushed as well but still ok. Was ment to be more about his life outside the ring then in it i'd say.

Saw Best of Paul London as well. Some great matches to watch there. None of them in WWE of course.
    Any other DVD i saw wasn't a WWE DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I havnt seen many but I saw the Rise and Fall of ECW about three days ago and loved it. Some of the extras are great like the stories Jericho and Taz tell. It really gives an insight as to how Paul ran things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

the eddie dvd is good, doc is crap but matches are top class.

something didnt sit right with me with the Bret Hart dvd, i hated the music that they played over it (it was like "this is the making the wrong choice music").. skipped over a lot, the amount of people they interviewed seemed very small.. i dunno.. havent seen the matches yet though..

preferred wrestling with shadows tbh..

watched the rise and fall of ecw the other day, really enjoyed it, heymen's a legend, l iike the way he rips into bischoff.. funny stuff..

The shawn micheals "from the vault" is good too, along with mick Foley's "greatest hits and misses"..

although i have to say my fvourite dvd in my collection is WM17... what a show...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Geez its hard to choose. The best thing about the WWE right now I think is the dvds their producing. When you think about it for 25 or 22 euros you could buy Armagedon off NTL. For 34 euros you can buy 12 hours of Bret Hart goodness. The decision is a no brainer for me.

To pick one I'll go for the ECW dvd. The documnetary on that was tremendous.

• Advertisement

I liked The Ultimate Warrior DVD too, mainly because I never liked the guy and always thought he was a sh*t wrestler so it was nice to hear everyone slagging him off and taking the piss out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Haven't got much time to talk about my picks, but the Eddie dvd was originally just a one hour tv show, I suppose that's why it seems rushed or whatever. I liked it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Dont know if their DVDs but i saw Hogan's and Stone Cold Steve Austins on the Biography Channel last night.

Hoagns was done well probably because he had such a huge career and would be impossible to show all his best matches and feuds. It did cover his heel turn in WCW which showed fans burning hogan dolls and posters.

Austins on the other hand was rushed. Not a single fued. Just showed his life and starting off in WCW, being fired over the phone, joined WWE became Stone Cold and lived happily ever after.

I think I saw the Hogan one before and I got the feeling it was produced by Ted Turner and Hogan himself. Didn't cover enough of his WWF days, just lots of WCW stuff. They went out of their way to show Hogan in a good light, I don't remember anything unfavourable being said about him, though plenty could have been.

The Stone Cold one was pretty crap I agree but they did a decent job on The Rock, keep an eye out, it's repeated fairly often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Never mind those DVD's, anyone who has the Biography channel should keep an eye on it. They are always doing full life stories of lots of wrestlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

In fairness, unless you're a Serial killer or crooked politician, then the Bio channel isn’t going to give you too bad a report. The majority of the bio's on it seem to celebrate people's lives / careers and usually with their blessing, so it's doubtful you'd hear much bad stuff about Hogan or anyone else. Plus, I don't think they're WWE produced, just the Biography channel being given footage and permission to talk to certain people by the WWE, so the contents are always going to be sketchy. My favorite of them would be the Andre one, it reveled the pain he suffered in the last years of his career and his life. And it was interesting to hear from one his best friends, former ref and current cause of Smackdown controversy, Tim White.

As for my favorite WWE DVD, I presume you're not including old PPV's, just ones on a specialized subject or wrestler, so the best I’ve seen is Foley's Greatest Hits & Misses. It really covered his whole career, from his very first underdog days in 80's WWF, right through his time in WCW, ECW and WWE. Watching the DVD, along with reading his books and seeing interviews with him like the one on Beyond the Mat, he always struck me as the most honest guy in the business and never too cocky, just politely confident of abilities and proud of his achievements for a simple wresting fan himself. He was never a Kurt Angle in the ring, but he was always entertaining and could tell a great story physically, even if that story usually involved him getting his a$$ kicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Actually the Biography Channel ones can be pretty rough. They did one with Hulk Hogan, and he was talking about being called as a Witness for the state, in the steroid scandal with McMahon.

The guy who was interviewing him was asking about his addmission to doing steroids and was this not a far cry from "taking his vitamins". They guy wasn't being a prick, just asking an honest question. Hulk then began to talk about how it was hard after that, that he kinda felt like maybe he had been living a lie and began to doubt himself.

And then did one with Stone Cold which was great, Steve was talking about how it's wasn't the industry that cost him his marriges, it was his decision to stay involved that did it, really getting personnal with the whole thing.

Very good i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I've seen all the docus on the biography channel. If I remeber right WWE footage was really limited especially for Hogans. There all pretty watchable but one stands out more than any others. Andre the Giants. I thought it was the best of the lot with a fair few interviews from the people in his village in France, from Tim White who back in the day when his job was to look after Andre in the WWE. It covered more about his life, it was really well done and because I did n't know that much about his backround it made it somthing really enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

Dragan wrote:
    Never mind those DVD's, anyone who has the Biography channel should keep an eye on it. They are always doing full life stories of lots of wrestlers.
    i agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I haven't seen that many dvd's, watched Jakey Snakey's recently, thought it was very good. Loads of cool extras, great interviews and all

Actually..that's the only one I can think of..I should watch more..

Mick Foley's Biography Channel piece was good I thought. Seen two on The Rock, nice too

Advertisement