Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sutton returns to the prem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

why would he leave to go to birmingham,thats a strange one:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

He's out of contract at the end of the season, although Strachan has said that he is a "big player" for Celtic. Maybe he means in terms of height, I don't know...

Surely if he is a big player they would have offered him a new contract, or maybe they have and he has turned it down, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

WEll maybe he wanted to move back to the UK, there has been rumours for a while. Strachan has said he is a big player and has played when not injuryed. The problem is that he has been injuryed alot and is on huge wages at Celtic. So release him and save some money to bring in a new striker. Good deal for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

where has he been playing for celtic? i can remember seen him play in midfield a few times so i thought this might have been due to keanes arrival in the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Wouldn't of minded if he'd come back to Blackburn. He had a few great seasons with us, including the SAS year of '95. Him and Shearer were unstoppable.

• Advertisement

where has he been playing for celtic? i can remember seen him play in midfield a few times so i thought this might have been due to keanes arrival in the midfield.

Midfield or behind the striker. Has played all over the pitch for Celtic including moving back to his old Norwich role of centre back.

Ahh them where the days with Shef Wed and Norwich up top. They moved up Sutton, we moved up Warhurst up front. Both where on fridges of England squad. Sutton went onto great things. Warhurst went onto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lemlin wrote:
    . Him and Shearer were unstoppable.

sure nothing to do with the team they were in and 2 of the best wingers around constantly whipping in crosses, dont think they play anymore ;)

Sutton in the PL, well hehehe Heskey and Sutton up front , Brum are rightly buggered.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Big Nelly wrote:
    WEll maybe he wanted to move back to the UK, there has been rumours for a while. Strachan has said he is a big player and has played when not injuryed. The problem is that he has been injuryed alot and is on huge wages at Celtic. So release him and save some money to bring in a new striker. Good deal for everyone
    thought scotland was in the uk?:)
    maybe hes had a bust up with roy

county wrote:
    thought scotland was in the uk?:)
    maybe hes had a bust up with roy

Im not even going to bother to comment on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

KdjaC wrote:
    sure nothing to do with the team they were in and 2 of the best wingers around constantly whipping in crosses, dont think they play anymore ;)

Sutton in the PL, well hehehe Heskey and Sutton up front , Brum are rightly buggered.

kdjac

Ripley and Wilcox on fire, and SAS knocking them in for fun, wasn't he the dearest player when Blackburn bought him from Norwich(5m?)

Then the illfated Chelsea move for around 10m, think Celtic got him for 6m in 2000.

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

You are indeed right. Stuart Ripley and Jason Wilcox. Ripley later played for Southampton, Wilcox disappeared into the abyss at Leeds. Graeme Le Saux was also handy at nipping up the wing and whipping in crosses.

As for Warhurst Nelly, he came to Blackburn for about 3 million and was endlessly injured. We sold him on to Bolton I think it was. He ended up at Bolton at some stage anyway.

zabbo wrote:
    Ripley and Wilcox on fire, and SAS knocking them in for fun, wasn't he the dearest player when Blackburn bought him from Norwich(5m?)

Then the illfated Chelsea move for around 10m, think Celtic got him for 6m in 2000.

Yep, 5 million before that it was Keane to United for 3.6, even though Blackburn offered 5 and the deal would have gone though only the Blackburn secretary was gone home :( Daglish told Keane to wait until Monday, they shook on it, Ferguson rang Keane on the Saturday and the rest is history.

Ah, I'd love to go back to the days when Blackburn had Jack Walker's money. Forget Chelsea, we were the first team to buy a PL title.

Lemlin wrote:
    As for Warhurst Nelly, he came to Blackburn for about 3 million and was endlessly injured. We sold him on to Bolton I think it was. He ended up at Bolton at some stage anyway.

Remember Blackburn bought him for 3mil, thats cause in FA Cup final he wanted to play up front but we had no defenders and Francis put him into Centre Back and he threw a strop, couple of weeks later he was gone.

Think he done a few clubs before Bolton, can't remember them all but think he is back in lower division now.

It just shows you what happens to some players and others. Sutton can look back on a career full of medals because he was moved up front because of an injury.

Anyone remember Paul Warhurst in Championship Manager waaaay back in the day? Could play in any position on the pitch iirc!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Anyone remember Paul Warhurst in Championship Manager waaaay back in the day? Could play in any position on the pitch iirc!

Well left Shef Wed because they wouldnt play him up front. Blackburn played him as an attacking midfield and then next time I seen him at Bolton was a defensive midfielder or on the right:D so never got to play up front again:D sickened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

A big loss for celtic always gave 100%, recently though has had a lot of injuries, anyway hope he does well for the blues.

What a journeyman. And a versatile journeyman at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Strachan and Sutton had a bust up. I remember about 2 weeks ago Sutton hadn't trained on the Friday because of a virus but told Strachan he felt fit enough for the bench so Strachan trusted him and stuck him on the bench the following day. Then last week Strachan said on radio that Sutton had "declared himself injured" for the next match, he seemed surprised as he had been great in training all week.

After this I knew Strachan had to say something to Sutton but Sutton would be one of the worst players I can think of to approach over something like this. Looking at these quotes from a few days ago it seems Sutton felt he deserved to be guaranteed a place in the team:

"All I'm saying is that if you look at Chris Sutton's record under me, then any time he is fit, he plays.
    "You can't do any more than that. Without playing a reserve game, he will go straight back in [to the side]. The only time he has been subbed was at Inverness, when he had a virus.
    "Chris knows exactly what I think of him. If he wants to speak to me and have a private conversation, it is entirely up to him. My actions say that he is a man I would rather have here than not."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Sutton will be a loss for celtic imo. He was one of the better players in scotland and he really stood out for them. Do you think bruce has signed him as a striker or midfielder because after all brum have plenty of strikers at the moment.

• Advertisement

mchurl wrote:
    Sutton will be a loss for celtic imo. He was one of the better players in scotland and he really stood out for them. Do you think bruce has signed him as a striker or midfielder because after all brum have plenty of strikers at the moment.

He has alot of misfiring strikers though, which is a pity because I would of liked to see Forssel particularly do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

talks of Pandiani leaving for Espaynol for €1million soon enough. So Heskey/Sutton/Forresel are the strikers at Birmingham at the moment. None of them are on form tbh. Birmingham are doomed IMO.

talks of Pandiani leaving for Espaynol for €1million soon enough. So Heskey/Sutton/Forresel are the strikers at Birmingham at the moment. None of them are on form tbh. Birmingham are doomed IMO.

Not sure about that, they have some pretty decent players - Upson, Melchiot, Pennant, Butt (if he could recapture his form), Dunn, Izzett, Heskey, Jarosik and Forssell.

That said, Blackburn fans are already talking of trying to get David Dunn back for under a million if they go down :)

He still regularly visits Blackburn games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Methinks Sutton has gone to the Brum for a final pay-day. That team is doomed to relegation.

Methinks Sutton has gone to the Brum for a final pay-day. That team is doomed to relegation.

People said the same about West Brom last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Lemlin wrote:
    People said the same about West Brom last season.

And they fluked it. It happens, such is life. They've drastically improved this season in fairness to them and aren't completely horrible to watch. Birmingham are muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sutton was an excellent signing for Celtic and it is sad to see him go in these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Sutton was reported to be the biggest earner at Celtic park, this move releases money for Strachan to improve his defence with, if he fell out with Strachan so be it but you cannot take from the service he gave in the famous Hoops shirt. He will always be remembered for the 6-2 game v gers and it would`nt surprise me if he played at the heart of Birminghams defence where he played sometimes for Celtic. Watch out premiership because this Sutton is still one though nut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Apparently they want him to lift the club like Christophe Dugarry did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Lemlin wrote:
    Wouldn't of minded if he'd come back to Blackburn. He had a few great seasons with us, including the SAS year of '95. Him and Shearer were unstoppable.

I'm suprised Newcastle didn't try to sign him and reunite the SAS!!
    It's not like we have many fit strikers anyway!

Advertisement