Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripoff Dentists???

Options
  • 05-01-2006 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I went to a dentists on henry street and i was with him less than 5 minuites got a prescription for anti-biotics and was forced to pay 50 euro is this common practice?? oh and then 25 euro for the first course of meds...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Yeah and its always puzzled me exactly what your prsi covers. I went in and got a filling. Went to receptionist she said 90 quid. I asked does my prsi not cover most of this. Her response " it was an exceptional filling":eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

The dentist told me the prescription would serve as a receipt and the chemist took it from me and refused to give it back:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Any one meet similar circumstances?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Iv been to a few different dentists in the past few years for fillings etc and they've all charged me different rates for fillings tbh... all ranging from 60 to 20 quid (all claiming to be taking my prsi into account) ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

See here for the details of what you are entitled to under the PRSI scheme.
    http://www.welfare.ie/publications/dental_sof.html
    A dentist get 13 euro from them and is entitled to charge you the remainder of the private fee. THe dentist cannot claim an examination if you had one in the last 12 months. If you go to a new dentist thay cannot tell if you are entitled to PRSI benefit because they have to send off to see if you are elegible. So if you arrive as an emergency them often you get charged private fees and would get refunded later if entitled. 50 euro for a prescription sounds about right to me. As you can see from the link to the PRSI site really your dental benefit is very small in comparison to medical card holders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I go twice a year(every 6 months) for an examination and a polish and I'm not charged.Under the prsi you are entitled to this.Looking at the charge on the above link for am xray,I was charged €20 for one film and it says on the link I should of only been charged €6.50...

I think that rather than than worrying about what you pay for what....look at how little the PRSI pay for you to have your treatment and how much you pay in PRSI contributions? PRSI patients are treated as private patients where the PRSI pay only some of the cost. So the difference in cost between dentists is because is one charges 10 euro more for a filling then you will still pay 10 euro more but less the prsi contribution. Ask BEFORE you get treatment how much it will cost...dont by shy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

I think alot of people assume that PRSI covers whatever it is it covers first time.
    As said above the dental nurse or whoever must send away and see if your qualified. Also prices vary quite a bit because simply alot of practices are private.

Usually if you ask before you get anything done there will be no surprises. Altough i got cleared for my PRSI once, got the appointment and had my check up etc done. The dentist then took an x-ray of my teeth(i dont think alot of practices have these x-ray machines to hand.....Anyways i was quite impressed when he gave me the picture of my teeth(i needed wisdom teeth out)

So when i was leaving the receptionist said i was cleared for PRSI (which they organised a week previous) Then the dentist turns and say ''oh BTW the x-ray cost is €20'' So i happily handed it over, And to my amusment/contempt he *shoves* the money in his arse pocket and ****s off :rolleyes:

The type of X-ray you had was an OPG (orthopantomograph) or a panoramic x-ray (their the same thing) about half of all dentist have this machine. On the link you can see how much this should cost you depending on your income.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

How long do you have to be working to be covered under the PRSI? I've been paying the full whack so far, in my sixth year working now and need to go back soon.

• Advertisement

Its been while since I worked the PRSI but as far as I remember its 4 years which resets if you leave the country in the mean time. Its a bit unfair really I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Its been while since I worked the PRSI but as far as I remember its 4 years which resets if you leave the country in the mean time. Its a bit unfair really I think.
    I have been looking into this recently. It is 5 years of paying PRSI. It will only reset if you leave the EU. Time spent working in another country in the EU and paying the equivilent of PRSI there will count towards your entitlement here.

For example, I have only been working in Ireland for just under 4 years. However, I am in the process of transferring my credits from NI which will entitle me to the Irish PRSI benefits.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

If you're having a fair bit of work done head upto the North, everyone in my family heads to a place in Newry, it takes a few hours to get there and back (from Dublin) but the savings add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

It even costs a bomb to get braces ADJUSTED. My friend got his braces in egypt while on holidays. Later when he came back to Ireland, he noticed the a pain in mouth which was caused by the dentist fooking up and a local dentist said it'd cost E1500 (afaik) to fix them. He hops on a plane back to egypt and costs bout E50 to get them edjusted. That plus the plane was well less than E1500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

I believe there are good dental clinics treating visitors in Budapest and and warsaw, I will let you know when i have done the research

Advertisement