Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCann objects against Brewery Complex

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Bards wrote:
    Well that's the end of that.. City Council have turned down the Planning permission as it stands... The developers will have to come up with a plan B

Stupid bastards. That's a floor off, and we'll have another floor off at the arse end of Bord Planala's "process". We'll need to be midgets to get in the ****ing door. :mad:

Ah sure, what harm? We'll have M&S, Debenhams, etc. in Kilkenny soon by the looks of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

you may have won this round McCann, but you can't keep wining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Oh for feck sake, feckin McCann and his minions, bastards! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Look , anyone who wants to raise this or any other any subject with McCann can e-mail him at bmcanna@eircom.net and get it all off your chest .
    And before anyone asks this is in the public domain as he gave it out along with his home and work numbers in this weeks Munster

Meldrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭col o

Guys I am not surprised to be honest.I have a feeling that this was taken into consideration by the developers.Has anyone any details about the reasons for refusal.You may still get a shopping centre there but say the car park might be reduced by 50%.Hopefully there might be a bit of a backlash by the General Public about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

All the info is in this weeks News & Star

I was just looking at last weeks munster.By the looks of things Frisby wants to build a similar size shopping centre on the location of the Lisduggan one.

col o wrote:
    I was just looking at last weeks munster.By the looks of things Frisby wants to build a similar size shopping centre on the location of the Lisduggan one.

Don't think it's quite that big. In any case, that old centre is badly outdated. It seemed massive when I was a kid in the 80's, but Waterford has expanded a lot since then and a bigger centre is badly needed. Who would have thought 20 years ago that Ardkeen would have considerably stronger suburban retail than Lisduggan in 20 years time; considering half the town used to shop in Lisduggan!

It has been reported in the Munster as been developed to 20000m2.This would make it the same size in area.Although there is a smaller amount of retail units.32 compared to 50 for the Brewery.Mssr McCann has appealed this to an bord pleanala.It will be interesting to see the outcome of this.Their decision is due out soon.

WHAT!!! he needs a good kicking

• Advertisement

Listening to Eddie Mulligan this morning and he is seriously fed up with McCann also , this is a small businessman trying to develop a new shop for his business and he is running into a brick wall with McCann who has objected twice to his proposals .

We should have elected him to City Council, As Far as I know a majority decision is all that is required in Council Sessions to get planning through. He then would not be able to block as many developments as a private citizen...

Correct me if I am wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Bards wrote:
    We should have elected him to City Council, As Far as I know a majority decision is all that is required in Council Sessions to get planning through. He then would not be able to block as many developments as a private citizen...

Correct me if I am wrong

Interesting theory, it could work as long as you have to give up your right to object as a private citizen when you become a councillor, which I have no idea whether you do or not...anyone know?

I don't know if your being serious here.

Unfortunately you would be endorsing McCanns actions if he was elected to the City council.

He also has a partner in crime,also from viewmount who would carry on the good fight even if McCann could not lend his name to any objections.

An examply of this already is cllr Seamus Ryan.His sister Una Ryan is one of the more vocal members of McCanns group and if I'm not mistaken was involved in opposing the Railway Square development.She wrote a vitriolic letter about the Guy who owns fitzgeralds mensear after he condemned serial objections and it was published in the News & Star.

meldrew wrote:
    Listening to Eddie Mulligan this morning and he is seriously fed up with McCann also , this is a small businessman trying to develop a new shop for his business and he is running into a brick wall with McCann who has objected twice to his proposals .

Was this on deise AM?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Yes it was on DeiseAm, From my understanding of it Eddie Mulligan is from that area and has archaeologists on board to take into account the history of the place and that he also consulted with Brendan McCann who still objected. Brendan McCann also objected to another application that Eddie Mulligan and his brother applied for in a different part of the city. Eddie Mulligan has spent a lot of money and has had to remortgage his home and still hasn't planning permission. It was sickening to hear what Eddie Mulligan has had to put up with regarding the serial objector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Did McCann get any negative comments on the show or did his butty Billy McCarthy filter them out?

Trotter wrote:
    Did McCann get any negative comments on the show or did his butty Billy McCarthy filter them out?

The latter.

deisemum wrote:
    Yes it was on DeiseAm, From my understanding of it Eddie Mulligan is from that area and has archaeologists on board to take into account the history of the place and that he also consulted with Brendan McCann who still objected. Brendan McCann also objected to another application that Eddie Mulligan and his brother applied for in a different part of the city. Eddie Mulligan has spent a lot of money and has had to remortgage his home and still hasn't planning permission. It was sickening to hear what Eddie Mulligan has had to put up with regarding the serial objector

Gut wrenching.

What developments has Mulligan been involved in?

The vacant corner site oposite O'Neills pub , it was going to be a shop on ground floor and apartments overhead , there is a drawing on the paper and tbh it does'nt look any worse than some of the eyesores that have gone up recently .
    The worst thing about this is he consulted with McCann , McCann is only a private citizen and its a disgrace that people have to speak to him before they apply for planning permission . Any discussions should be done with the relevant authorities not some jumped up little hitler .
    I see where the poster is coming from about electing McCann but he does have a partner in crime , another WIT lecturer who would just take over , on the subject of Seamus Ryan , as a councillor he objected to the student apartments on the Inner Ring Road so there would be nothing stopping McCann doing the same if he were elected .
    Seamus Ryan is your typical NIMBY politician he thinks he is only there to represent the residents of Ursuline Court and forget about the rest of the City

• Advertisement

What right does McCann have to potential wreck someone's lively hood. That's blantly trying to put someone outta business. He's sounding more and more like a member of the Mafia

meldrew wrote:
    The worst thing about this is he consulted with McCann , McCann is only a private citizen and its a disgrace that people have to speak to him before they apply for planning permission . Any discussions should be done with the relevant authorities not some jumped up little hitler .

You can be damn sure that the Brewery people consulted with him too. I know the railway square people did, and from what I hear, they even got archaeologists in to prove that nothing was going to be affected. He still objected to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Can anyone tell me if Brendan McCann and his WIT cohort objected to planning permission for all the building that has gone on at the WIT in recent years

deisemum wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if Brendan McCann and his WIT cohort objected to planning permission for all the building that has gone on at the WIT in recent years

My guess is he didn't.That would be to close to home.

I sent in some letters to the papers.Hopefully people will keep doing this showing how pissed off they are.Eventually McCann might get the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

col o wrote:
    My guess is he didn't.That would be to close to home.

I sent in some letters to the papers.Hopefully people will keep doing this showing how pissed off they are.Eventually McCann might get the message.

col you were reasonable saying that mccann was a limited part of the issue now you seem to be saying its all his fault, what was the reason it was refused, did anybody find out? like the written result from the board, not from the papers or nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bookee

Well, without him the development might have had some chance. I'm not local to here either, and would never dream of objecting to something that didn't effect me directly.

I still no evidence that the proprosals rejection had anything to do with mccann, prove me wrong !

I still no evidence that the proprosals rejection had anything to do with mccann, prove me wrong !

No I am not saying it is his entire fault. I don’t know how familiar you are with the phenomenon of Brendan McCann. McCann has been involved in a huge amount of objections in Waterford City. The latest of which is the Brewery project and Eddie Mulligans small project. An estimate of his objections is in the region of sixty. These have included objections to the Waterford City Bypass and Outer ring road. This is a vital piece of national infrastructure not just for Waterford. The logic behind this at the time was that i it would encourage more car usage. I presume this was inline with Green Party thinking as he is a member of the aforesaid party. Now in the case of the outer ring road this has allowed people from areas such as Ballybeg direct access to the hospital without driving through residential areas near the hospital. The bypass will relieve traffic and HGV’s travelling through residential areas of the city. This and many other issues have escaped this man.

A lot of McCanns defenders have mentioned democratic rights. Every wise man and every lunatic has democratic rights. Let’s say someone objected to a hospital on the grounds that it might encourage people to get sick. It would be seen as absurd and would obviously not be entertained. I find it curious that one of the reasons Brendan McCann objected to the Brewery centre was that it would lead to extra toxic emissions from construction traffic and cars using the centre. However toxic emissions didn’t factor into his objection when he objected to the Bypass. Toxins are increasing in the inner city by the day without the Bypass.

I believe McCann has rallied various issues to meet his own ends. Most of the objectors are just Nimbys. One of these is Una Ryan who is the sister of Councillor Seamus Ryan who has been vocal against the shopping centre. I would love to know did Seamus Ryan bother to find out if any of the people who voted for him were in favour of the proposed complex. I doubt it. In fact I think it is inappropriate that he has loaned his name to this when he is really just defending his sister’s interests. Corruption is alive and well. None of his group has any qualifications around architecture or town planning. I believe there is a real case for sustainable development but McCann is not qualified to deliver this. In the long run he will alienate himself and other people who have more pragmatic approaches to development and heritage. The attitude of some of these people is that we know better than everyone else. One of them basically allured to this. This was the same guy who asked me why I was so interested in this if I was living in Dublin. I think this was an ignorant statement akin to me calling him a ‘blow in’ because he was from Belgium.

Getting back to your point. There was valid reason for the project to be refused. KRM will have to go off and revise the design. If it conforms with everything that was stipulated in the refusal and everything is hunky dory I can guarantee you that McCann still won’t like it and it will be appealed to An Bord Pleanala. That is his form.

Waterford has not had any political representation at the cabinet table since the foundation of the state. The last prominent political figure was John Redmond. At this time Waterford was the fourth city of the country (Remember Belfast and Derry are included here)There has been a theory put forward that Waterford was in effect punished since 1922 because of its support of Redmond and his views of the day. The rhetoric from many political figures of the time, including Dev, supports this theory. Lack of investment in Waterford has seen it fall down the urban hierarchy and overtaken by Galway.

Martin Cullen was made a cabinet minister in 2002 .The local media was in support of Cullen in the last two elections and effectively campaigned on his behalf. This was to the disdain of other parties. This was because he was the best chance of Waterford obtaining a cabinet position. It was expected that he would fight the case of Waterford. It would appear to me that he has done this. The evidence is there to support it. Private investment has started to flow in as well and the media seems to support that there is a correlation between Cullen’s cabinet position and this, because he can ensure state investment. There is a general feeling that Waterford’s day has finally come and things are starting to happen. There is enough fly’s in the ointment like Wexford fishermen holding up the North Quays but Brendan McCann is by far the biggest. The North Quays is a case in point. There is no reason why this could not become a very modern city Quarter including high Rise where R H Halls is. I have no doubt Brendan McCann will find one when it comes.

Waterford has to strike while the Iron is hot. If there is an economic downturn the opportunity could be gone for another lifetime. With Brendan McCann holding things up for as much as five years this is a real threat. I am not trying to lecture you here but explain why McCann gives me so much ire.

I think the planning system is at fault.. there should be a limit on the number of submissions (a nice word for objections) that one can lodge per year/per lifetime.

The majority of people will never lodge a submission.. well as you know the old saying 90% of the problems are caused by 10% of the people.

Imagine if McCann was around the time of the Great Pyramids or in France when the Eifel tower was being built... These wonders of the ancient and modern World would never have existed.

We have to let qualified architects and planners get on with their job.. How would Mr Mcann feel if I came to his lecture hall and started to complain about his teching methods.. I am sure he wouldn't like it one bit.

Rant over

• Advertisement

col o wrote:
    Waterford has to strike while the Iron is hot. If there is an economic downturn the opportunity could be gone for another lifetime. With Brendan McCann holding things up for as much as five years this is a real threat. I am not trying to lecture you here but explain why McCann gives me so much ire.

you still havn't shown me how mccann has anything to do with the refusal of planning!

Advertisement