Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay with UTV Clicksilver or Migrate to ESAT BT?

• 05-01-2006 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm nearing the end of my 12 month jail term with UTV clicksilver and want to migrate.

When including line rental, the ESAT BT offerring of €40 per month for the basic (1MBit/s) package seems to be the best value. My exchange is Newtownmountkennedy, Co. Wicklow and Smart isn't available here yet. Am I missing anything?

One of my main uses of broadband is for gaming... are ping times better with ESAT BT?

Advice would be gatefully received!

Thanks folks.

I want to game, should I stay with UTV Clicksilver or migrate? 10 votes

Stay with UTV Clicksilver
    0% 0 votes
    Migrate to ESAT BT
    20% 2 votes
    Migrate somewhere else
    80% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

di11on wrote:
    Hi Folks,

I'm nearing the end of my 12 month jail term with UTV clicksilver and want to migrate.

When including line rental, the ESAT BT offerring of €40 per month for the basic (1MBit/s) package seems to be the best value. My exchange is Newtownmountkennedy, Co. Wicklow and Smart isn't available here yet. Am I missing anything?

One of my main uses of broadband is for gaming... are ping times better with ESAT BT?

Advice would be gatefully received!

Thanks folks.

sorry mate, this is another rather pointless poll........... do a search on Boards on IBB, SMART, BT et Al and read peoples coments and then you can make an educated decsion.....

you have obviously decided to leave UTV, so why ask if you should stay?

polls polls polls ..........

you might read this sticky :- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054866284

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I haven't decided to leave - I want to be sure that if I leave, I'm not migrating to something worse... *the Devil you know...* and all that...

I know there has been an awful lot of complaining about UTV in the past, but they seem (to me) to be getting better. I haven't had too much trouble recently. 6 months ago I would have been gone from UTV at the speed of light without posting this message.

di11on wrote:
    Hi Folks,

must have misunderstood this line....... ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

di11on wrote:
    I haven't decided to leave - I want to be sure that if I leave, I'm not migrating to something worse... *the Devil you know...* and all that...

I know there has been an awful lot of complaining about UTV in the past, but they seem (to me) to be getting better. I haven't had too much trouble recently. 6 months ago I would have been gone from UTV at the speed of light without posting this message.

Well since Eircom/BT/UTV are all the same product you wont be getting much 'better' by moving. Unless your exchange has been unbundled by BT (I think they've started at that again?).

The main advantage of elsewhere at the moment would be no charge for breaking the cap - but noone knows how long that will last etc. If that's not an issue for you then I don't know if moving would serve much purpose other than take up your time and possibly cause you some headpain/downtime.

Fair enough... I did say that... must be my subconsious betraying true feelings! :)

However, I am open to the possibility of staying.

• Advertisement

di11on wrote:
    Fair enough... I did say that... must be my subconsious betraying true feelings! :)

However, I am open to the possibility of staying.

lol

can you get NTL in your area / if so MOVE

No NTL in my area :mad: So I have to choose a DSL service.

Are ESAT BT's ping times not better than UTV's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Go with BT as you have them number 1 on your mind...but migrate properly and follow all the CRAP that UTV will put in place to stop you!!!

That sig of yours is depressing me..................

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

but migrate properly and follow all the CRAP that UTV will put in place to stop you!!!
    Like what? Am interested as I'm about to drop them also (not due to a bad service it has to be said, I've had good experience with them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

PauloMN wrote:
    Like what? Am interested as I'm about to drop them also (not due to a bad service it has to be said, I've had good experience with them).

Post a new thread about it, though Im sure a transfer form must be sought and competed from BT ever before you say anything to UTV as its in BT's best interest to poach you as cleanly as posible!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

PauloMN wrote:

Here's what I've learnt:

1. Give UTV 1 months notice and get a reply in writing.
    2. Get a Data Transfer Form from BT.
    3. Make sure it is absolutely clear on their system that you are doing a transfer and it is not a 1st time connection.
    4. As everyone here on boards likes to point out, there are Terms and conditions. These terms and conditions work both ways, if you're told it will take no longer than 10 days then on the 11th day write a complaint to complaints@btireland.ie. They MUST reply to this and look into your query. You'll be given a contact name and phone number, ring it every single day until you get connected.

BT's complaint dept is superb, I wish I heard about it earlier i would have saved myself 4 months of torture and grief.

Advertisement