Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one is the best for playin games online?

• 05-01-2006 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hello

im wondering which connection is the best for that?
    smart? eircom? or maybe magnet?

could you guys who have one of this example ping for that address and past your scores?

213.136.35.9 / SWE
    www.clanserver4u.de / GER
    213.148.132.23 / GER
    82.192.78.85 / NL
    gs9.gamesnet.pl / POL

thx anyway for help, see ya all

bch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Here are the results from the UTV Clicksilver (1Mbit) jury from 3 pings at 13:55 (Min,Max,Avg):

213.136.35.9 / SWE 66ms, 67ms, 66ms
    www.clanserver4u.de / GER 48ms, 49ms, 48ms
    213.148.132.23 / GER 57ms, 59ms, 58ms
    82.192.78.85 / NL 49ms,51ms,49ms
    gs9.gamesnet.pl / POL 71ms,74ms,72ms

I'd be very interested in results from ESAT BT also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I've been gaming online for years, been with a load of ISP's in my time so this may help.

Go to Smart (because they are the only ones willing to do this) ask them for a 3mb down / 1mb up. As in sacrifice a meg or two down for a decent upload speed,

Games are REALLY restriced by the ultra crap upload speeds on offer by eircom (please don't be fooled by those ads eircom is crap for gaming). You may have a 4mb down but at the end of the day unless you have a decent upload your ping tends to hover about 60... which is utter crap. Although I know a lot of people will think/tell you it's the dogs because they are used to it.

Mine sits at 20 ms with my 1mb up/down, but I do pay €127 pm for it(leap.ie). However Smart said they'd do me a deal if I payed them an extra fiver a month on the upload... which is what I suggest.

I think Smart are your best option if you can negotiate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

layke wrote:
    I've been gaming online for years, been with a load of ISP's in my time so this may help.

Go to Smart (because they are the only ones willing to do this) ask them for a 3mb down / 1mb up. As in sacrifice a meg or two down for a decent upload speed,

Games are REALLY restriced by the ultra crap upload speeds on offer by eircom (please don't be fooled by those ads eircom is crap for gaming). You may have a 4mb down but at the end of the day unless you have a decent upload your ping tends to hover about 60... which is utter crap. Although I know a lot of people will think/tell you it's the dogs because they are used to it.

Mine sits at 20 ms with my 1mb up/down, but I do pay €127 pm for it(leap.ie). However Smart said they'd do me a deal if I payed them an extra fiver a month on the upload... which is what I suggest.

I think Smart are your best option if you can negotiate.

Now THAT's good to know! When SMART becomes available in my area in March I'll be calling them and asking them about the above! Ping is all about upload! 1MB shoud do it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Now THAT's good to know! When SMART becomes available in my area in March I'll be calling them and asking them about the above! Ping is all about upload! 1MB shoud do it ;)

Its also total bollix, upload for any game is 8kb you wont need anymore than that. Dsl 1st hop to any server is 32ms so it increases from there. So getting 1mb up isnt going to do anything for your gaming as it will max off at 8kb.

Whoever offeres interleaving would be the best Eircom dont as it reqs effort, the others use Eircoms system so.....

213.136.35.9 / SWE 70ms
    www.clanserver4u.de / GER 65ms
    213.148.132.23 / GER 64ms
    82.192.78.85 / NL 54ms
    gs9.gamesnet.pl / POL 49ms

Eircom 2mb

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Its also total bollix, upload for any game is 8kb you wont need anymore than that. Dsl 1st hop to any server is 32ms so it increases from there. So getting 1mb up isnt going to do anything for your gaming as it will max off at 8kb.
    All I know is that the higher the upload, the lower the ping. I have friends in France with 128k upload and they have terrible pings on French servers... They get 100ms and I get (in Ireland with IBB 3MB/3MB and when it works) 40ms...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Results for IBB Breeze 2mb
    64 ms
    31 ms
    34 ms
    29 ms
    58 ms

irlrobins wrote:
    Results for IBB Breeze 2mb
    64 ms
    31 ms
    34 ms
    29 ms
    58 ms
    Yours must be working then... I'm on 3MB and I'm in the 200/300ms... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

yea i've rarely had probs with my connection. on rte mast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

213.136.35.9 = 66ms
    www.clanserver4u.de = 33ms
    213.148.132.23 = 35ms
    82.192.78.85 = 32ms
    gs9.gamesnet.pl = 59ms

IBB 2Mb.

irlrobins wrote:
    yea i've rarely had probs with my connection. on rte mast.
    If everything goes well (i.e. LoS) I should be on a new mast (Park House) on Tuesday (currently on ~ over-contended ~ Guinness mast)! And that means latest technology too (currently on old VL)! And this mast is 200 yards from my house! Hope everything goes well!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

BF2 servers usually kick you automatically if your average ping is 150ms or higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

All I know is that the higher the upload, the lower the ping. I have friends in France with 128k upload and they have terrible pings on French servers...

This just shows your lack of understanding of networking and IP routing. I used to get a ping of 40-50ms on my 64k ISDN line. How does that fit into your theory?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

On a similar note, how does the contention ratio impact on games, i.e. 48:1?

delly wrote:
    On a similar note, how does the contention ratio impact on games, i.e. 48:1?
    The way I see it: "the lower the better". I was willing to pay IBB €85 EUR a month for 1MB because the contention ration was 8:1. Ping was great! Rock steady and low! Then the "upgrade" happened... The put me on 3MB with 24:1. Result: ping is crap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The way I see it: "the lower the better". I was willing to pay IBB €85 EUR a month for 1MB because the contention ration was 8:1. Ping was great! Rock steady and low! Then the "upgrade" happened... The put me on 3MB with 24:1. Result: ping is crap...

Run a "tracert ip.0.0.0.0" to your prefered servers you will see the bottleneck in the list. Call your ISP and bitch about the bottleneck then threaten to leave unless its sorted.

No game needs more than 8kb unless its coded by blind monekys.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

This is because IBB uses a time-division-multiplexing type of setup on the nodes that's prioritised according to your contention ratio. The lower your contention, the more time you get. If you're on a high contention service and there's a lot of traffic on the node, you will not get served and you see ping spikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I should add, for people on ADSL the contention ratio means sod all.

KdjaC wrote:
    Run a "tracert ip.0.0.0.0" to your prefered servers you will see the bottleneck in the list. Call your ISP and bitch about the bottleneck then threaten to leave unless its sorted.

No game needs more than 8kb unless its coded by blind monekys.

kdjac
    Been there, done that... :( Sent the screenshots... The problem is: they're over-subscribing.

Blaster99 wrote:
    This is because IBB uses a time-division-multiplexing type of setup on the nodes that's prioritised according to your contention ratio. The lower your contention, the more time you get. If you're on a high contention service and there's a lot of traffic on the node, you will not get served and you see ping spikes.
    24:1 is the best you can get from IBB now (without paying a monkey ever month). I was delighted on 1MB - 8:1! Gave out to them when I was "upgraded" to 3MB - 24:1 and asked them to put me back to 1MB - 8:1. The answer I got was: "we don't offer this service anymore, sorry"... :mad:
    And yet my monthly bill still says 1MB - 8:1!? oO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Smart kindly enough turned interleaving off for me ;)
    I get between 15-30 playing HL2DM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bch

but you need landline for that smart telecom? i heard that IBB is bad in gamming, what about BT broadband? sad that i cant install NTL in my area :(

Advertisement