Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acquiring a dead (but not expired) domain?

Options
  • 05-01-2006 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been looking at a certain domain name for a few years now (it's [myname].com).

A guy with the same name as me in America has purchased the name (it was an initial 5 or 10 year deal?) up until November 2006. He used to have a site up advertising himself and his business (ironically the same as what I do!!) but I noticed he hasn't had a site up for quite a while now and all I get when visiting, is a generic 'url not found' error.

Can I somehow acquire this name now while it is still technically purchased? I don't want to have to contact him and ask if he's finished with it :p . Because it's a name I think he will want to either keep it/re-register it, or try and get some money out of me.

Do I have to just wait until it expires and try and nab it in November, or can an Irish hosting company organise it to be released without the client knowing. I think I already know the answer to that last question ;) but the general query still holds :) .

Much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

If it is registered, then the current owner still owns it. Whether or not they are using it is neither here nor there.
    It would be theft for anyone to take it off him without his knowledge unless it has expired.

It's problem that I've faced before. Do you:
    a) Wait for it to expire (whenever that might be)
    or
    b) Send a nice email asking him if he is interested in selling

If it is dead and you can wait until it expires, then I would recommend this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Yes, I thought so. Thanks. I can definately wait until November for it to expire as I don't need the domain at all. I just thought it would be nice to have it but I didn't want to have to pay through the roof either :) .

Chances are he could be a really nice guy and not charge a fortune, but if I were him I would want to keep it if I had it.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The only problem is that the domain could be picked up by a squatter / monetiser if it has a good Alexa rank etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Alexa rank?

I doubt it has a good rating anywhere really as it's just a name (first name + surname .com).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Fortune

There are a few ways to acquire that name you have your eyes on. I guess the two main ones are Brokering & Back-ordering.

1. Sedo Brokering Service. I took this straight from their website;
    Before beginning the negotiation process, Sedo's domain professionals conduct extensive research and analysis to provide you with a comprehensive evaluation of the domain's fair market value. This information is compiled into an approximately 5-page appraisal report you will receive that highlights the factors that impact a domain's worth.
    After reviewing Sedo's appraisal, your personal broker will assist you in determining a reasonable budget to pursue the domain. Your broker then begins negotiating, while remaining available for consultation, to secure the domain at the best price while preserving your identity. Sedo's commitment to our customers allows our brokers to enjoy a success rate of over seventy percent!
    If your broker successfully negotiates an agreement of sale, Sedo's transfer technicians step in to facilitate the domain transfer - ensuring security, transparency, and a quick change of ownership. Moreover, your purchase is protected by the knowledge and care that only comes from the domain industry's most trusted escrow service.

2. Back-Order. There probably isnt that many people looking for the same name as you want, unless its a fairly popular name. So if it expires before you get a chance to try and acquire it you can still have a chance at getting it.

For Back-orders see;

http://www.snapnames.com/
    http://www.clubdrop.com/
    http://www.pool.com

You need to find out who the name is registered with to know which service to use. Other registrars have their own backorder auction services. For example GoDaddy has their own (as far as I know)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Contact him and ask him. All he needs to do is remove his stuff, then change the password to something you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

your better to email the person and ask for a push at a price

the domain will cost you something, see if you can cut a deal.

he should be able to push the domain to your domain name registrar and the domain is officially yours, he may wish to sell for a small fee rather than get nothing in novemeber.

www.whois.sc/domain.com to find his details

Advertisement