Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Courses

Options
  • 05-01-2006 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi there I have been playing guitar for around 1.5 years and I have found it difficult enough to get techniques down, which in turn is effecting my ability to learn some compositions in their entirety, I am thinking about joining the Waltons school of music so that I can get some professional tuition and I am just wondering what your opinions are of their methods and or fees(are they reasonable for the service provided and do you have reccommendations of other schools if you think otherwise).

Any Comments/Opinions are appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Try to find a few other guitarists with similar tastes who you could play with. Pick a few tunes you like and try to play along. This would probably give quicker progress than taking a music course where the music you are playing is alien to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Hi there I have been playing guitar for around 1.5 years and I have found it difficult enough to get techniques down, which in turn is effecting my ability to learn some compositions in their entirety, I am thinking about joining the Waltons school of music so that I can get some professional tuition and I am just wondering what your opinions are of their methods and or fees(are they reasonable for the service provided and do you have reccommendations of other schools if you think otherwise).

Any Comments/Opinions are appreciated.

Hey,

I teach guitar and I think that for the first few years friends that play will be a big influence, that's how I started. You can join a music school however and get your technique looked at because that can be the main cause of guitarists hitting a brick wall and staying at the same level no matter how much practice. Have you had a look at any instructional videos/dvds? Some of them are very good with close ups for pickin techniques etc...

Fusion

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sparkulicous

Fusion251 wrote:
    Have you had a look at any instructional videos/dvds? Some of them are very good with close ups for pickin techniques etc...

I've just started learning to play. is there any video's/dvd's that you recomend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

I've just started learning to play. is there any video's/dvd's that you recomend?

Depends on what type of music you're into really, I learned a good bit from Star Licks videos myself, it's a series with all different styles of players showing technique etc...I had Tony McAlpine, Larry Carlton & Mike Wolf vids, not great for beginners but at an intermediate level they work well.

If you're from Dublin go to McCullough Piggots just off Grafton St they have loadsa different types of vids for different styles of players.

Cheers
    Fusion

Advertisement