Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Lost????????

Options
  • 05-01-2006 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Hi, i was asking in the lost forum when the new wpisode is being released and where i could get it.
    somebody replied 'bye' and i got a PERMANENT BAN ????????
    -quoting something about illegal downloads from the charter.

I didnt even mention anything about downloads or even imply abnything illegal, there could have been many legitimate responses to my question!
    this seems illogical, permanent ban is a bit harsh isnt it ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

How were you planning on getting the episode then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

The new series 2 is not launched in Ireland yet therefore talk about locating such an episode is banned according to the charter.

You didn't read the charter first, did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say in a shop?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

fade2black wrote:
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say in a shop?...

Or the Sunday Market in balbriggan(were I got mine Ep 1-3 series 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

What was your post before you edited it about?
    C_Breeze wrote:
    excuse me , but i didnt say anything about downloads or even imply anything illegal .

I asked where could i get it > to which there are a number of responses. ie "you could get your cousins in the USA to send you a tape"

Another forum might be a bit lighter on this but did you even glance at the charter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

How were you planning on getting the episode then?

maybe from my cousins in america? - that doesnt suggest downloads.
    maybe a response could have been , you can not get in in ireland yet or youll have to wait for season 2 to air on RTE.

ive a question for you then , since everyone seems to be jumping on the making assumptions band wagon - How does eveyone else on that forum get their episodes since they always discuus the USA episodes right after their airing?

-it could be assumed that everybody that discusses US episodes is illegaly downloading and should be permantntly banned!! -see my point??
    IT was just assumed i was talking about illegal downloads - i didnt even say anything remotley to do with illegal activities.

WizZard wrote:
    The new series 2 is not launched in Ireland yet therefore talk about locating such an episode is banned according to the charter.

But its alright to talk about the episodes after everonne seems to magically get the latest episode by the lost pixie fairies , yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

WizZard wrote:

No offense Wizzard but talking about US broadcasts is not just allowed but encouraged (as long as [US] is put in front of the thread title to avoid spoilers). Talking about downloading/where to download is not allowed.

[edit]For some reason I didn't see the word 'locating' in your post :o So I'm just repeating what you just said :D [/edit]

tbh I think that C_Breeze was banned for this choice of language. Asking when it's released implies released for download. If he'd edited his post as suggested to say "when is it being broadcast in the US" then it might have slipped by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

C_Breeze wrote:
    Hi, i was asking in the lost forum when the new wpisode is being released and where i could get it.

Do you really expect people to believe that you were asking a question expecting answers such as "your friend in the states could send you the tape", or "fly over to the States and watch a re-run" .. :confused:

Sorry, but it seems pretty clear that you were asking where it was possible illegally obtain a specific episode of the program. That is a banning. Trying to get out on a technicallity is a bit lame. This isn't a court room

Macros42 wrote:
    No offense Wizzard but talking about US broadcasts is not just allowed but encouraged (as long as [US] is put in front of the thread title to avoid spoilers). Talking about downloading/where to download is not allowed.

[edit]For some reason I didn't see the word 'locating' in your post :o So I'm just repeating what you just said :D [/edit]

tbh I think that C_Breeze was banned for this choice of language. Asking when it's released implies released for download. If he'd edited his post as suggested to say "when is it being broadcast in the US" then it might have slipped by.

Bingo , that was the main question of my post - when its being aired in the USA , because i heard that they had a break over xmas or something.

i would have taken a 1 week ban on the Chin - but PERMANENT??? - seems a bit harsh to me , considering eveyone one that board is nothing but a hypocrite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

C_Breeze wrote:

Why would you ask where to get the episodes if you got them off your cousins in America?
    ive a question for you then , since everyone seems to be jumping on the making assumptions band wagon - How does eveyone else on that forum get their episodes since they always discuus the USA episodes right after their airing?

Maybe they live in America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cat in a hat

Iv seen up to episode 9 of lost on the second season and ep 10 is being aired in the US on the 11th of january but if you really wana watch the episodes out at the moment and have broadband go to www.watchlost.com and if you think lost is good wait till you see prison break it will be the program everyone will talk bout in 2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Haha...Kaboom!

C_Breeze wrote:
    But its alright to talk about the episodes after everonne seems to magically get the latest episode by the lost pixie fairies , yeah?

What people do in the privacy of their own home is fine.

But Boards.ie is a public web forum, and as such is open to all the legal might of any company or organisation who believes that Boards.ie is promoting or encouraging the illegal downloading of copy-righted material. As such discussion where to obtain said copyrighted material is specifically prohibited.

For a very good reason, someone like ABC crush Boards.ie in a heart beat.

Iv seen up to episode 9 of lost on the second season and ep 10 is being aired in the US on the 11th of january but if you really wana watch the episodes out at the moment and have broadband go to www.watchlost.com and if you think lost is good wait till you see prison break it will be the program everyone will talk bout in 2006

now there is a good response! see nothing illegal about it!
    that could have been a perfect reply to my question instead of theorwing around accusations annd permanent bans like there was no 2moro.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lost Season 2 isn't available to buy on DVD/Video yet. Thus, asking where to get it or any of the episodes, is asking where to illegally obtain them.

How steveland handles it is his perogative, but essentially asking the question and receiving replies could leave boards in trouble.

Wicknight wrote:
    What people do in the privacy of their own home is fine.

But Boards.ie is a public web forum, and as such is open to all the legal might of any company or organisation who believes that Boards.ie is promoting or encouraging the illegal downloading of copy-righted material. As such discussion where to obtain said copyrighted material is specifically prohibited.

For a very good reason, someone like ABC crush Boards.ie in a heart beat.

so hoe could that Big organisation prove i was implying illegalk downloads??
    would it not have been easier for this ficticious company to question the people discussing the latest episodes as to where they got them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I do think it's a bit on the unfair side to get a permanent ban. There has been plenty of threads containing more obvious talk about downloading episodes, or problems in doing so.

comments such as :"Problems with my cousin yesterday means I am now using a private number to call. Still pretty slow though. Does anyone ever get speeds from their cousin that would match speeds getting anything non-cousin like?"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=312039&page=4&highlight=cousin

and as far as I could see this didn't result in a ban for the user.

Cactus Col wrote:
    I do think it's a bit on the unfair side to get a permanent ban. There has been plenty of threads containing more obvious talk about downloading episodes, or problems in doing so.

comments such as :"Problems with my cousin yesterday means I am now using a private number to call. Still pretty slow though. Does anyone ever get speeds from their cousin that would match speeds getting anything non-cousin like?"

Thank you!!
    you see now that is clearly suggesting illegal dowloads , and quite brazingly too.
    just because i asked where to get them and they are not availabile to buy here yet - the just ASSUMED i was talking about downloads!
    if youre going to ban somebody have some real ground on that basis , not just a vague assumption!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

C_Breeze wrote:
    That does actually, you are completely wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

steveland? wrote:
    ZERO TOLERANCE on asking for DOWNLOADS or FILE TITLES - You Have been warned...
    Title says it all basically...

From now on ANYONE asking for a link to episode downloads is receiving a permenant ban

Seems like C_Breeze is pi$sing down peoples backs and telling them it's raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

C_Breeze wrote:
    As I said above, since they're not publically available (except on the air), then asking where to get them is close enough to asking how to obtain them illegally.
    would it not have been easier for this ficticious company to question the people discussing the latest episodes as to where they got them?
    Except that it's not illegal to discuss the content of the episodes, and the company would only have some degree of legal standpoint if the episodes hadn't already been aired.
    The company can however sue boards.ie for making information available about where to obtain copyrighted content illegally.

C_Breeze wrote:

No offense C_Breeze, but I think it is pretty obvious to the blind cat down the road that got hit with a truck over christmas that you were asking for illegal copy from Bit Torrrent or such. Any other alternative doesn't make any sense, despite the rather ridiculous "replies" you believe were possible

Besides, they don't have to "prove" it.

An legal challage against Boards.ie stating that the website is facilitating the illegal distribution of copyrighted material by allowing discussion of where to obtain said material, would bankrupt the website in under a month.

This website wasn't set up to fight your legal battles.

Gordon wrote:
    That does actually, you are completely wrong.

then how come evrybody else talks about their cousins in america sending them tapes??????

and also cousins with a speed of __megabytes???

see post nr19 please

Wicknight wrote:
    No offense C_Breeze, but I think it is pretty obvious to the blind cat down the road that got hit with a truck over christmas that you were asking for illegal copy from Bit Torrrent or such. Any other alternative doesn't make any sense, despite the rather ridiculous "replies" you believe were possible

Besides, they don't have to "prove" it.

An legal challage against Boards.ie stating that the website is facilitating the illegal distribution of copyrighted material by allowing discussion of where to obtain said material, would bankrupt the website in under a month.

This website wasn't set up to fight your legal battles.

oh please , i dont even know how to use them torent things - im deadly serious

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

A bit of power going to people's heads here is the problem c_breeze. Definitely unfair banning. Maybe a week's ban, but at the absolute max.

Cactus Col wrote:

Well in that case i demand all these people from Cactus Col's link be permanently banned also , or else im suing for unfair banning and inequality :p

Skitbra wrote:
    A bit of power going to people's heads here is the problem c_breeze. Definitely unfair banning. Maybe a week's ban, but at the absolute max.

nice to see some one on my side.
    thats what i said . 1 week i would have taken it on the chin but permanent? -for something that cant even be proven??

come on now , seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

"ever heard of the internet? get yer cousin to sned them to you"

thought I'd drop in another quote from a different thread in the lost section ......
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=306604&highlight=cousin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cat in a hat

the site i suggested is well known about you stream the video from the site and it is legal once the site is no profitable and is private then streaming shows already shown on tv is legal under us law

Advertisement