Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Lost????????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

Yep, I think it was harsh to be honest!!! You could have meant anything by it and who ever banned you in my opinion really jumped the gun! Maybe he/she could have said "I hope your not asking about downloads because you know that is against the rules and will result in a permanent ban"...

... I don't know maybe the mod just had a bad day!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Well , is there anyway to unban me or just for 1 wekk because i seriously enjoy the Lost forum and am now aware of how sensitive mods are ?? or is Boards.ie under Communist Regimé??

even just not haveing to Log out , just so i can have a read at least

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You weren't banned. You just didn't post every 108 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Yep, I think it was harsh to be honest!!! You could have meant anything by it and who ever banned you in my opinion really jumped the gun! Maybe he/she could have said "I hope your not asking about downloads because you know that is against the rules and will result in a permanent ban"...

... I don't know maybe the mod just had a bad day!!!!! :rolleyes:

Why should he have to say this? The OP was blatantly asking about illegal downloads. Steveland? did what he thought was best by banning C_Breeze.
    And I think the mod knows what is and isn't acceptable on these forums, and knows how to deal with such posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

C_Breeze wrote:
    then how come evrybody else talks about their cousins in america sending them tapes??????

and also cousins with a speed of __megabytes???

see post nr19 please
    If this is the case then it needs to be looked into as it is most likely against the charter.

So you admit you were looking for torrents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There was the possiblity of being provided with a link to Season 2.1 DVDs. They haven't been released for Lost yet but they have been released for Battlestar Galactica.

qz wrote:
    Why should he have to say this? The OP was blatantly asking about illegal downloads. Steveland? did what he thought was best by banning C_Breeze.
    And I think the mod knows what is and isn't acceptable on these forums, and knows how to deal with such posts.

define "blatantly" ????
    didnt you see the link of the other blatanly asking waht speed the get from their "cousins" in america - now thats blatant imho.

I wasnt blatantly asking for downloads , how can you prove this ?? was suggests i was???

........oh wait youre that usless chick that responded with "ban" and nothing else , am i right?

Gordon wrote:
    If this is the case then it needs to be looked into as it is most likely against the charter.

as i said , i dont even how wat or how to use troents , seriously.

Gordon wrote:

And ok then , can somebody look in to this and ban all those people permanently also , or unban me !!
    Seriously , to be fair i request some Mod to look into it and give me an update, or that is the most unfair of ban of them all

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So you admit that the ban was just (within the charter), but you don't accept the punishment?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    So you admit that the ban was just (within the charter), but you don't accept the punishment?

what are you on about?

edit: [sarcasm] yes , i admit it was just , thats why i created this topic and said is was unfair about a million times [/sarcasm]

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

Don't mind him. The mods like to stick together.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think it would be fair to reduce the ban to a week, provided C_Breeze has learnt his lesson and all that.

The basic rule is, the mods don't care if you find out yourself where to get episodes once you don't talk about the actual act of obtaining them on the boards. The point of it is they want to attract people to the TV forums to discuss TV shows, not to attract warez monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Once again, the first port of call should have been to PM the mod.

If C-Breeze is let off what happens to the next or to those who have already been banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Hobbes wrote:
    You weren't banned. You just didn't post every 108 minutes.

ROFL

(but ROFL only if I've seen Series 2 which I couldn't possibly have :eek: ;) )

Permenant Ban :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

to many ban happy mods imo.... no way that should have given him perm ban....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

C_Breeze wrote:
    what are you on about?

edit: [sarcasm] yes , i admit it was just , thats why i created this topic and said is was unfair about a million times [/sarcasm]
    I said that because of this:
    1 week i would have taken it on the chin but permanent?

PM steveland to discuss it tbh. That's what you should have done originally. Nobody here can/will help you until you've discussed the ban with steveland.

cool cool ,
    so i have learned my lesson, i guess. and ill completley avoid the word "down" altogether just to be safe!;)

ill see what steveland has to say about this , as i contacted him already . ( ill give him the link to this too)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

C_Breeze wrote:
    or is Boards.ie under Communist Regimé??

even just not haveing to Log out , just so i can have a read at least
    Sublime dictatorship actually.

OK, if all you want is to be able to read the lost forum - here you go:
    http://iwillnotuseboardsforillegalpurposes.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=559

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Cactus Col wrote:
    "ever heard of the internet? get yer cousin to sned them to you"

thought I'd drop in another quote from a different thread in the lost section ......
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=306604&highlight=cousin
    I hadn't seen that thread. Posted on Christmas Eve and funnily enough I've been a little busy since then. I've deleted the posts where people suggest "cousins".

There's nothing else you could have been talking about other than downloading/obtaining them illegally and your post would have attracted people giving specifics had I not nipped it in the bud

To be honest with you I'm not thrilled about people using the cousin analogy but I don't see much wrong with it unless they go providing specifics.

C_Breeze, your ban was for asking WHERE to get it. The sticky at the top says VERY specifically that anyone asking WHERE to download episodes will receive a PERMENANT ban.

I don't care where people get their episodes. It's their own perogative to go and download them if they want to. I've banned people for asking for/providing download links.

The episode 2x04 thread I believe was what prompted the change from temporary to permenant bans for episode downloads/file titles since the episodes seemed to be out of sync when downloaded and people were asking for file titles. I deleted all the mentions of file titles and it was discussed at length with the powers that be whether it should be allowed and it was decided to make it a bannable offence.

I'm not going to unban you because it's made very clear that it's against the rules. If I unban you it'll make it look like moaning about it makes it ok and you'll get back in.

steveland? wrote:
    I hadn't seen that thread. Posted on Christmas Eve and funnily enough I've been a little busy since then. I've deleted the posts where people suggest "cousins".

There's nothing else you could have been talking about other than downloading/obtaining them illegally and your post would have attracted people giving specifics had I not nipped it in the bud

To be honest with you I'm not thrilled about people using the cousin analogy but I don't see much wrong with it unless they go providing specifics.

C_Breeze, your ban was for asking WHERE to get it. The sticky at the top says VERY specifically that anyone asking WHERE to download episodes will receive a PERMENANT ban.

I don't care where people get their episodes. It's their own perogative to go and download them if they want to. I've banned people for asking for/providing download links.

The episode 2x04 thread I believe was what prompted the change from temporary to permenant bans for episode downloads/file titles since the episodes seemed to be out of sync when downloaded and people were asking for file titles. I deleted all the mentions of file titles and it was discussed at length with the powers that be whether it should be allowed and it was decided to make it a bannable offence.

I'm not going to unban you because it's made very clear that it's against the rules. If I unban you it'll make it look like moaning about it makes it ok and you'll get back in.

how about a 1 week ban then?? come on steveland , you have to see it from my side also.

i asked where i could get it? ...the charter says aking where to download from is bannable. i didnt even suggest anything about d/loading.

come on man , you can see where im coming from.
    have a read of my thread again pls.

edit: Im not moaning about it , im debating it because i feel i have a point. dont make an example of me pls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I'm a bit confused how the word "get" means "download". Even if you apply it to the context it was written I'm still confused. In the film forum people talk about films and there are often replies like "I must get this" ,etc. Using the same rational there would be multiple bannings. Maybe, just maybe the OP was asking where he could buy this. To jump the gun and ban the OP because of the interpretation of the word "get" is a bit steep. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

steveland? wrote:

Oh please. You have made it quite clear and he has learned his lesson.
    You banned for an against the charter offense and have made it clear to all and sundry that the forum does not tolerate it, you wont be 'sued'.
    He has admitted he is a regular reader and not a blow in just 'askin'.
    I tend to agree with most mods decisions but to be honest this looks more like a power trip to me. He has dropped his pride and asked to be unbanned, how about you drop yours.

C_Breeze wrote:
    how about a 1 week ban then?? come on steveland , you have to see it from my side also.

i asked where i could get it? ...the charter says aking where to download from is bannable. i didnt even suggest anything about d/loading.

come on man , you can see where im coming from.
    have a read of my thread again pls.

edit: Im not moaning about it , im debating it because i feel i have a point. dont make an example of me pls
    You asked where to get it. There's no legal ways of obtaining it short of actually going to America and watching it or actually getting your cousins to send it to you on VHS...

I'm sorry but it's there plain and simple that asking where to download it (which you were obviously asking) is a permenantly bannable offence.

If byte, celticfc, LoLth (the TV mods and Category mod) or any of the SMods feel you should be unbanned then that's their decision, I won't go against that, but unless that happens I stand by the ban

garred wrote:
    I'm a bit confused how the word "get" means "download". Even if you apply it to the context it was written I'm still confused. In the film forum people talk about films and there are often replies like "I must get this" ,etc. Using the same rational there would be multiple bannings. Maybe, just maybe the OP was asking where he could buy this. To jump the gun and ban the OP because of the interpretation of the word "get" is a bit steep. Just my opinion.
    "I must get this" and "Where do I get this" are two completely different questions in this context

I still think it is overly harsh.
    steveland? wrote:

Its not a good enough reason not to unban him. Just because you feel he was "moaning". He wasn't moaning. He was trying to make a complaint and most people would agree with him. He was probably wondering if they were available on dvd yet from the states.
    Again I feel, and by the tone of your response steveland, it just sounds like a small bit of power gone to the head.
    Mods stick together, so I don't expect the ban will be removed. Sorry c_breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

steveland? wrote:
    "I must get this" and "Where do I get this" are two completely different questions in this context
    Sorry Steve but how? Substitute the word "buy" for get in both contexts there. Then substitute the word "download". How is one more practical than the other? My point being he was banned because of an interpretation of the word "get" when there is a valid argument for both meanings. If he had used the words obtain, locate, etc would he of gotten the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Skitbra wrote:
    I still think it is overly harsh.

Its not a good enough reason not to unban him. Just because you feel he was "moaning". He wasn't moaning. He was trying to make a complaint and most people would agree with him. He was probably wondering if they were available on dvd yet from the states.
    Again I feel, and by the tone of your response steveland, it just sounds like a small bit of power gone to the head.
    Mods stick together, so I don't expect the ban will be removed. Sorry c_breeze.

He knows himself that he wasn't. And if he was wondering if they were available from the states... why would he only be asking about one particular episode, and not the entire season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

And if we want to get super charter sticky here is this not also against it steveland?

Could I not take that the wrong way and be significantly offended by it?
    No, because most people enforce the rules to obtain a purpose, you have made your point, now a permanent ban is unneccesary.

Advertisement