Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most under rated game ever?

Options
  • 05-01-2006 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭

So gamers, what do you think is the most underrated game ever? I'm not talking about metroi, halo, halflife etc... we all know they are great and they sold in the millions. What we are looking for is those games that rocked but never got the sales or exposure they deserved.

My first choice: Megalomania on the Mega Drive, that was a hell of a game.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Beyond Good and Evil - superb game... it deserved so much more success than it got:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Shadow of Rome. Great action, great stealth, great story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

System Shock 2.

Playing that first time through on my own in the dark. That's one atmospheric game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Vagrant Story (@Squenix: me want sequel and/or re-release :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Sky Oddysey on PS2.

one of those cheapo 20 quid games , but seriously , i would have given it 9/10.

excellent game - andyone who ever played it would have thought the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Castlevania: Symphony of Darkness on PS1. Quality 2d platformer lost in the mire following Tomb Raider / Mario 64 3Dness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

The Great Escape on the C64. I'd wish a remake would appear for this one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

MDK 2 ( for PC ) was, in still is, great.

A shoot-em-up, where during the game you play 3 different characters.
    Kurt - the serious shoot-em-up guy
    The dog - comical shooter
    The professor - putting scrap items together to make weapons

If you ever see it on the bargain shelf of a gamestore, grab it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Body Harvest N64

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

beyond good and evil, great game pity my copy of it broke :(
    twisted metal 2 soo many hours put into that game
    legacy of kain, top down action rpg with great story & fmv + loads of blood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭saado

I'd have to say Shadow Hearts for the ps2, such a great rpg that nobody played cos of (the infinitely worse) FFX. That or Wild ARMS 3, got no attention in the media, and not enough people have played it at all, unfortunate considering it's one of the best RPGs on the ps2 aswell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

hamster wrote:
    The Great Escape on the C64. I'd wish a remake would appear for this one. :)

They did remake this, but it was rubbish compared to the original.
    Some of my nominees would be:

Bushido Blade on the the PS1
    Bubble Bobble on various platforms
    Mission Elevator on the Atari ST
    and the best for last
    Alien on the Spectrum ZX

They're all great, but alien was one of the first games to actually get me sh*tting my pants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I would love to say Soul Calibur on the dc but technically that doesn't really qualify due to the fact that it was the daddy of games on the dc!

Another one id go for, Mercenaries on the Atari ST

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Terranigma on the SNES. To my mind, it's not only the best RPG but best game of the 16bit era hands down. It never got the recognition it deserved though because it was came out at the end of the SNES' life and was only released in Europe in limited numbers and not at all in the US.

Sky Oddysey is a great game too - everything that an update to Pilot Wings should have been. If Nintendo have released it, everyone would be doing backflips over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

NiGHTS into dreams on the sega saturn, i loved this game beyond reason, but no-one else i have ever talked to has even played it.

though thats probably down to the fact that there were all of 5 saturn owners in the entire western hemisphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Bubble Bobble on Arcade / MAME Got the arcade stick for the xbox and have the mame version you need the power up and origional game

R-Type (on all platforms)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Flimbo's Quest for the C64.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

mace griffin: bounty hunter

or

freedom fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

have to agree with kdjac on body harvest ,was a cracking game, very addictive, loads to do
    also system shock 2...very very atmospheric, far more so than a lot of todays puportedly scary games

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

OMcGovern wrote:
    MDK 2 ( for PC ) was, in still is, great.

A shoot-em-up, where during the game you play 3 different characters.
    Kurt - the serious shoot-em-up guy
    The dog - comical shooter
    The professor - putting scrap items together to make weapons

If you ever see it on the bargain shelf of a gamestore, grab it.

I had that on the Dreamcast, wonderful game.

I'd have to say Operation Winback for the N64. I had alot of fun playing through it but it was very panned by critics.

In recent times, I picked up XIII for a fiver and thought it was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Hidden and Dangerous (1 & 2)

Did well enough, but should have been so much bigger imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

I cant remember the name of this game(havent played it in over 13 years) but it was a world war 1 air-sim game with several game modes like 3d flight sim, 2d isometric strafing, 2d top down bombing. played it on the amiga..

ARGH wish i could remember the name but it was a bloody brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

R-type isn't exactly underrated unless you think it deserves more praise then being worshipped by ever shmup player as one of the best games ever.

Suikoden 2: Got ignored because it was released at the same time as FFVIII. Even I did and only got a copy when my mate in Konami sent me a copy because he thought I'd like it. FFVIII turned out to be one of the worst FF games and more a commercial excercise by Square. Suikoden 2 turned out to be one of the best games ever made with one of the best and most emotionally involving stories ever. Some magazines even had the stupidity to mark it quite low.

Panzer Dragoon Saga (sorry madrab): Not really anyones fault that nobody bought this. It came out right at the end of the saturns life and only a couple of thousand english language copies were released. A beautiful, original and engrossing universe to explore. The atmosphere was complemented by one of the best and probably hardest to compose soundtracks for a videogame. The plot was also amazing but it wasn't until the extremely clever ending that you found out how intelligent it was. Whats most distressing is how far ahead of it's time the game was and how it hasn't left an impact on other RPG game makers. Battle system is like nothing else and is really cinematic and it also included full speech for every character even NPCs despite the fact that all npc talk changes with the events that unfold.

Panzer Dragoon Orta (sorry again madrab): There aren't many great games on the xbox but most of you xbox owners decided to miss out on the best game on the xbox. Beautiful to look at, great to play and Saori Kobayashi returns from composing on Saga to deliver some of the best tracks she will ever write. The story will have Saga fans choking back tears.

Gunstar Heroes: Forget the decent GBA game and get an emulator and play by far one of the most intense action games ever created.

Rocket Knight Adventures: Another great megadrive action game.

Contra Shattered Soldier: I don't see how this game can receive bad reviews and yet Gunstar Super Heroes, which in my mind is no where near as good as it's forebearers, can get such gushing ones. In my opinion it's as good as the older Contra games and as close to them as any modern reinterpretation will get (except the fantastic metal slug games).

Gradius V: For some reason this game got worse reviews than Ikaruga. I think it's a far better game. Okay so it doesn't have the great design of ikaruga. However its better fun and far more accessible which counts for more.

Devil May Cry 3: Don't mark it down because it's too hard. It's not too hard. You're not too crap. You just don't have any patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

IMO Hardwar which came out in 1998 was a legendry game, the first fun and playable space trader since the days of yore. the end was set for a sequal, but I think I may be the only person ever to have played it!.
    Twisted metal 2, also a good call, could never find it to buy so spent a fortune in extravision on the thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I agree with System Shock 2, one of the scariest games I've ever played. I never hear about it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

irlrobins wrote:
    Hidden and Dangerous (1 & 2)

Did well enough, but should have been so much bigger imho.

Definately, then again the original was so bugged it might have turned alot of people off and gave it really bad press.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

mace griffin: bounty hunter

or

freedom fighters

mace griffen was s****:D
    but id have to say most of the harvest moon games they are so under rated i love them............and ff 9 no one appreciated tat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Giants: Citizen Kabuto, commercially a failure but critically very popular action strategy game with a great sense of humour and sheep football.

Ico, yeah everyone loves it but only about 10 of those people bought it, hopefully it'll sell well when sotc comes out.

Body harvest.

Hybrid Heaven.

Parappa the rapper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

adom - roguelike free game at adom.de. complex absorbing and highly imaginative.
    space rogue - on the mac anyways. roleplaying game in the style of elite.
    starflight 2 - again for the mac (pc graphics probably a little too rough). just the way you uncover the story by diplomacy and interaction is very well done.

Advertisement