Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most under rated game ever?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Body Harvest (N64)
    ...body Harvest..

Snap...damn it loadsa people beat me to it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

serious sam the secound encounter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

IMO Hardwar which came out in 1998 was a legendry game, the first fun and playable space trader since the days of yore. the end was set for a sequal, but I think I may be the only person ever to have played it!.
    Twisted metal 2, also a good call, could never find it to buy so spent a fortune in extravision on the thing...

Yea... Hardwar. I remember getting a cutdown copy of this in 1998 and never got around to it. I overwhelmed by Half Life and Grim Fandango that Xmas '98 (oh happy times) with my free time.
    ... so then last xmas (2004) I tried Hardwar from the CD back I made and I'm glad I did. It looks great... plays fine. You get to do missions, upgrade and the map feels like a community. I just didn't stick at it but yeah if there wasn't so much out there... I would play this more. Actually there is a remake of sorts going on the moment and looks good. I'll try to dig up the details. Google on Hardwar.

Actually these days I'm heavy into emulation and Vmscumm since it's quick to get in and out. ADOM is great too! Currrently have a Barbarian Dwarf at the moment and trying to keep her alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

columok wrote:
    System Shock 2.

Playing that first time through on my own in the dark. That's one atmospheric game.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    System Shock 2 isn't exactly underrated unless you think it deserves more praise then being worshipped by every fps/rpg player as one of the best games ever.

Copied and adapted quotes: For all your gaming-critique needs

I normally have a list of about 20 games to trot out when someone plays the "If it's so great, how come it didn't sell as much as the sims! Man, that game was great!" card (A very unpopular gathering card ;) ), but most of them have had quite a bit of critical acclaim.

I never hear people (except a handful of PCGamer-UK fanatics) talking about an RTS called Ground Control, which had terrible* enemy AI but was well balanced, fantastic multi-player tactical fun. Nothing worse than losing your anti-air to a bunch of sneaky infantry with a special-weapons charge, walking into a trap with explosive charges lining your route or artillery over a hill with spotters plotting your every move. The cries of "Stop screen watching you tramp!" could be heard echoing the streets of Cork.

*Quite literally non-existant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Suikoden 2 definitely, I finally only played it about a year ago and it instantly became one of my all time favourites, I played Suikoden 3 on PS2 right after which is solid but nowhere near on the same level.

Little Big Adventure was a game I loved on PS1, not many people seem to have heard of it, I thoroughly enjoyed both it and its sequel, it had interesting gameplay and a funny story that never took itself too seriously.

Planescape: Torment was a ground breaking RPG which I loved, it was worth 100 of Baldurs Gate but it never came close to competing with it sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭strangepaddy

Tenchu 1 on ps1......that or the broken sword 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Steven wrote:
    Copied and adapted quotes: For all your gaming-critique needs

Well I'd consider it underrated as it had little or no coverage outside of the games press and a core group of gamers. Considering people remember halflife, Deus ex, quake and many other FPS games but rarely mention SS2 strengthens my point. I don't think that I've ever met more than one or two people who've played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Timesplitters series. I seem to be the only person who actually owns both TS2 and Future Perfect on the GC. Great games. Also agreeing with tman and saying Beyond Good and Evil. And an oldie... Super Aleste. Psychedelic space shooter from the SNES... great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Gabriel Knight (the original) absolute involving game

and more recently, Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And an oldie... Super Aleste. Psychedelic space shooter from the SNES... great stuff.

Nobody cared, Axelay was the shmup daddy of the SNES and 16-bit era. Shame because it was rather good. Level 2 was the most impressive thing I'd ever seen when it was released.

Castlevania: Next Generation/bloodlines for the mega drive. Never saw it get any reviews above 80%. It was one of the best traditional Vania games before it went all Metroid. Really deserved more success critically and commercially. It did a lot of graphical effects unheard of at the time on the MD.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Neverwinter nights : It was possibly the best rpg ever created, becaue it was totally customizable by the people. It had a very strong single player game, a brillaint general rpg style. It rocked though online, being the first mmorpg, and it was free, it was an amazing gripping rpg experience.

Max Payne: Yes a stunning game and nuder rated you say? I think its udner rated because in every top 10 games of all time i see its not in it. Finally used bullet time properly, great story, great acting, great gameplay, nothing wrong with it, the perfect game, you could let a chess player play it and hed love it.

Most over rated game : Metal Gear solid 2. Story was rubbish, gameplays way to easy. On normal mode, in one sitting after i bought it, finished in 5 hours, in hard mode finished in 6, waste of 70 euro when it came out, brutal imo didnt do anything except have pretty graphics and cut scenes were too often and too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Regarding Metal Gear Solid 2: Over-rated, yet you play through it at least twice?

I wish more games were like Metal Gear Solid/Metal Gear Solid 2. Short, by most standards, but every moment superbly crafted, polished, memorable and enjoyable. No tedius combat, no dodgy platforming, no overly obtuse puzzles, just simple, doable, enjoyable gameplay. The merits of a game should be judged on that, not how often it has you reloading your save because it's too difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

SofaKing wrote:
    Vagrant Story (@Squenix: me want sequel and/or re-release :) )

Hmmm, I tried to like it, I really did. I wanted to like it so bad I bought it even though I don't have a ps. Was playing through it using epsxe and put through my tv. But I can't forgive a game where I spend 90% OF MY TIME IN BLOODY MENU'S RECONFIGURING EVERYTHING!!!.

Anyway, I'll go for Power Stone. One of the best ways to have fun with three other people not involving nudity. Or liquor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

steviec wrote:
    Planescape: Torment was a ground breaking RPG which I loved, it was worth 100 of Baldurs Gate but it never came close to competing with it sadly.
    That wasn't the commercial flop you might ecpect, I remember an interview with one of the head developers who was talking about how disappointed they were initially with the poor sales but how over a few years the game sold pretty consistently and a fair few copies made it out into peoples chomputers.

Saying that it is a fantastic game, and deserves a hell of a lot more credit than most rpg's get for their stories. Plus nordom is probably the funniest cube in existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Gabriel Knight (the original) absolute involving game

and more recently, Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit

I loved the first GK game. It rocked, and with Tim Curry doing the Gabriels voice, how could it go wrong? Fahrenheit for some reason seems to be a bit of an oddity. No one seems to feel that it's ok, or average. People either love it of hate it, and nothing inbetween! I think it's one of the greatest adventure games ever made, and it plays like your watching a film.

Another I thought was pretty under-rated was Ultima 7. I had never heard of Ultima before I saw this, but I instantly loved it. The graphics were fantastic, the story was amazing and with all the sub-plots and the huge world to explore, it kept me busy for months (bearing in mind I was never any good at computer games, so everything took me months to get through :( ).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Live for Speed (S1 or S2), also known as 'LFS' - see here

Racing sim - Developed by three (yes, 3!) guys on the cheap and quiet over the last 3 years or so, fantastic modelling, physics, graphics, begs to be played with wheel/pedals (which I religiously do), £12 or £24 to register and obtain full functionality, all cars/tracks, online racing (although the demo is already online-enabled).

Aside from the 'LFS scene' (burgeoning on and on over the years), no one's ever heard of it, it's never been featured by the likes of EDGE, etc.

It's light-years ahead of anything put out so far by Codemasters (TOCA series) and easily on a par with SimBin (GTR/GTL - which I have and play also), the others are just not worth mentioning.

The best value for money racing sim (dare I even push so far as to say 'PC game') for the last 2/3 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the max payne games are overrated. It's just the same thing over and over for 8 hours with a silly uninteresting story.

I do think Vagrant Story is underrated. I do think the battle and menu mechanics are broken but once you realise that only 1 handed weapons are useful since without a shield you will be mangled in 1 hit there is a lot less messing in the menu. After that you can enjoy the atmosphere, great soundtrack and brilliant story.

Thought Blood and Outlaws deserve a lot more attention. Both used out dated technology at the time but both were much better than all the other graphic card powered FPS games. Outlaws also had one of the first sniper rifles in a game, which goldeneye usually gets mistakenly credited with. Blood was much funnier than Duke 3D and a better game especially for Evil Dead fans. Also loved Shadow Warrior. 'Lo Wang soap you good!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

Pilotwings - SNES - a classic

Blast Corps - N64, one of Rare's lesser known games, short but a whole lot of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah loved blood
    second one was good but shogo was a far better use of that engine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 General Edius

Toejam and Earl for the Sega MEga Drive rocked!!! It was so funny and weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Uplink, what a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Red Faction that was a brilliant game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Escape From Monkey Island

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

1huge1 wrote:
    Red Faction that was a brilliant game
    twas but it was also huge. don't think it was underrated at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

yeah red faction, brill game, the ps2 version had more geo-mod destruction then the pc version :confused: which makes no sence (and no, my pc wasnt run windows 95 and have 128mb of ram) rf2, was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Snow Bros [1 and 2] in europe anyway ! It was Mame i think and then came out for Sega Mega Drive [just part 1]
    stuff like this is what id like to see on the psp, no freekin socom
    id advise everyone to play it, its been emulated for RAINE
    snowbrosb.gif
    r02.jpg
    2004671851393.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Dizzy the Egg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

jomanji wrote:
    Another I thought was pretty under-rated was Ultima 7. I had never heard of Ultima before I saw this, but I instantly loved it. The graphics were fantastic, the story was amazing and with all the sub-plots and the huge world to explore, it kept me busy for months (bearing in mind I was never any good at computer games, so everything took me months to get through :( ).

Jomanji,

Did you try Exult ? This program allows you to play Ultima VII (and serpent Isle) on a modern PC. None of that Voodoo Memory Manager rubbish bootdisk anymore. Woohoo! Not sure if I would consider it underrated though I loved it to bits. Yep, takes awhile to complete but it's easy once you follow the plot. I remember going from Trinsic to Paws, then to Britain, to cove and then Minoc and finally to Yew in a 48 hour daze... that wiped out xmas '94 (486DX). Could get forgotten now though but the story is so good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

hamster wrote:
    Yea... Hardwar. I remember getting a cutdown copy of this in 1998 and never got around to it. I overwhelmed by Half Life and Grim Fandango that Xmas '98 (oh happy times) with my free time.
    ... so then last xmas (2004) I tried Hardwar from the CD back I made and I'm glad I did. It looks great... plays fine. You get to do missions, upgrade and the map feels like a community. I just didn't stick at it but yeah if there wasn't so much out there... I would play this more. Actually there is a remake of sorts going on the moment and looks good. I'll try to dig up the details. Google on Hardwar.

Actually these days I'm heavy into emulation and Vmscumm since it's quick to get in and out. ADOM is great too! Currrently have a Barbarian Dwarf at the moment and trying to keep her alive.

Christ!, How did I forget grim fandango!. Got it for christmas as well and it made it for me!, actually Grim Fandango was the first adventure game I ever actually played, and I still Shhh...Think its Better than MONKEY ISLAND , Cant believe its been 7 years, Thats one I'm getting my hands on hell or high water, ah yes, Put the baloon in the bird tray to scare the birds away, for what porpose I know not, all the better for a replay I say...

Advertisement