Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most under rated game ever?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I have issues with both points.
    [quote=[DM]-TheDOC-]Most over rated game : Metal Gear solid 2. Story was rubbish, gameplays way to easy. On normal mode, in one sitting after i bought it, finished in 5 hours, in hard mode finished in 6, waste of 70 euro when it came out, brutal imo didnt do anything except have pretty graphics and cut scenes were too often and too long.[/quote]

Firstly - you spent 70E on it :eek: They saw you coming. I agree. It is overrated but the gameplay is superb. iIt's not long enough but I have other issues (see below)
    Regarding Metal Gear Solid 2: Over-rated, yet you play through it at least twice?

I wish more games were like Metal Gear Solid/Metal Gear Solid 2. Short, by most standards, but every moment superbly crafted, polished, memorable and enjoyable. No tedius combat, no dodgy platforming, no overly obtuse puzzles, just simple, doable, enjoyable gameplay. The merits of a game should be judged on that, not how often it has you reloading your save because it's too difficult.

Secondly imho they tried too much with msg2. If I wanted to see a movie I would rent one out or head to the cinema. If I wanted to play a game I expect to partake in most if not all the action. If I am to sit through 6 hours of play the I wanted to control 5hours 50 minutes of that play. MGS2 didn't allow me that priviage and although I realise the complexity of the game they tried to make and indeed the story to be told, it restricted the gamer (me) to a the bit part position of a viewer for a large part. This frustrated me to the point of not wanting to play it anymore.

For a game to achieve the staus that was so lavishly heaped on msg2 it should excel in all area's that it atempts. Mgs2 does not imo do that. It's not long enough to warrant the money spent on it (even if you play it through twice). This however is not my major aggrivation with it. It draws you in....brings you into the whole experience anf 10 mins later it leaves you sitting a spectator for 15 mins. As soon as I felt involved in the game I was dumped out into a cut scene that just dragged on and on and on....(quite like this.)

Body Harvest ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Marble Madness - NES
    Super Swiv - Super Nes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Neverwinter nights : It was possibly the best rpg ever created, becaue it was totally customizable by the people. It had a very strong single player game, a brillaint general rpg style. It rocked though online, being the first mmorpg, and it was free, it was an amazing gripping rpg experience.

This is a troll right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

GOD DAMNIT!

pretty much all the under-rated games i love have been named off by Retro...b*sterd.

Here's another classic by Treasure though

Dynamite Heady!

also throw in the original Ground Control...a cracking good RTS.

should give the sequel a try now that its cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I still Shhh...Think its Better than MONKEY ISLAND

You're wrong, and you're a grotesquely ugly freak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

sprinkles wrote:
    Secondly imho they tried too much with msg2. If I wanted to see a movie I would rent one out or head to the cinema. If I wanted to play a game I expect to partake in most if not all the action.

I think they did exactly what they wanted to do with MGS2. Kojima makes no secret of his love for action movies, so it was no surprise that it was OTT on the cutscenes, and setpieces. The story was ridiculous, and the cutscenes were too frequent, but they were very well directed. Compare them to something like Resident Evil ("You, the master of unlocking...") - they're a different league. Arguably, only Resident Evil 5 has been a more cinematic experience than the Metal Gear Solid games.

I take the point that not everyone is looking for such a directed, scripted game, and that there was too much storytelling and not enough gameplay - but when both the gameplay and storytelling is so well done, who cares?

Also, Body Harvest, yay! That engine was going to be used for an N64 GTA game at one stage, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I think they did exactly what they wanted to do with MGS2. Kojima makes no secret of his love for action movies, so it was no surprise that it was OTT on the cutscenes, and setpieces. The story was ridiculous, and the cutscenes were too frequent, but they were very well directed. Compare them to something like Resident Evil ("You, the master of unlocking...") - they're a different league. Arguably, only Resident Evil 5 has been a more cinematic experience than the Metal Gear Solid games.

I take the point that not everyone is looking for such a directed, scripted game, and that there was too much storytelling and not enough gameplay - but when both the gameplay and storytelling is so well done, who cares?

Also, Body Harvest, yay! That engine was going to be used for an N64 GTA game at one stage, you know.
    Each to their own I suppose. I just felt that every time I wanted/needed to head off and save the game that I had to wait through 15 mins of well scripted but needless cutscenes which annoyed the cr*p out of me.

Body Harvest being the prelude to GTA shows excatly how underrated it is. Ask any gamer from 10 years of age plus and they about GTA but have they ever heard of Body Harvest....me thinks not. Shame really. Looking foward to the revolution cause I'll be downloading BH on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

sprinkles wrote:
    Each to their own I suppose. I just felt that every time I wanted/needed to head off and save the game that I had to wait through 15 mins of well scripted but needless cutscenes which annoyed the cr*p out of me.

Body Harvest being the prelude to GTA shows excatly how underrated it is. Ask any gamer from 10 years of age plus and they about GTA but have they ever heard of Body Harvest....me thinks not. Shame really. Looking foward to the revolution cause I'll be downloading BH on it :)
    and i have asked you multiple time to show me your exhalted body harvest & you keep forgetting to get it, shame on you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

MDK (the first one, I know the second was mentioned)

The style was brillant, the combination of platform and action brilliant, the sniper rifle was brillant (and one of the first examples of it, before every other game copied it)

So why did I sell like 10 copies .... :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

OUtlaws had the sniper rifle first and Goldeneye was out before MDK.

Settlers seems to be the david hasslehoff of videogames. Big in germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Children, try http://www.the-underdogs.org/. Its dedicated to all the games that were great, yet never sold well.

It also has loads of top games to download for free (Rollcage, Settlers, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, and so on)

Ico for the ps2!that game was so relaxing!way better than a bath.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

yeah MDK 2 for sure

Cannon Fodder on the SNES
    Hogs of War on the PS
    blade Runner was a laugh for the PC - good old point and click

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

RopeDrink wrote:
    Dizzy's Adventure (NES)
    It was also quite a big game. Pity it had no save feature.

I broke my first NES (kicked it across the room) because of this game. I had been playing for hours, left it on overnight, played it more for hours the next day (think I got to the pirate ship?) and the NES suddenly started doing that thing where it keeps resetting.

I don't think I ever played that game again, now that I come to think of it :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Underrated games, well this seems to be a well subscribed thread but here goes my contribution,

3D Starstrike 1&2 on the Spectrum, first one was a Star Wars clone, but better and the second one blew it out of the water completely with FILLED IN POLYGONS!!!! OMG!!!

TauCeti and Academy also on the Speccy, amzing stuff, Elite on the ground, reall cool lighting effects as the days wore on, nice games even now.

Transformers on the Speccy, mainly because of the fact that I cleared it!

Galaxians on the Speccy, because of the hours spent adjusting the head levels on my cassette player to get it to load!

Quazatron on the Speccy, Paradroid in 3D, one of the best games I have ever played, really good, still fun.

BioHazard Battle, fantastic shooter on the MD, great graphics, sometimes quite revolting. nice leeches!

Virtua Racing, not really underratted but I have the MD version, 32X version and the Saturn version and have loved it since the first time I played it, so here it is anyway.

MDK on the PSX, yup a supersweet game and I am pretty sure MDK got to the sniper rifle first, even if it didn't it integerated it into the gameplay better than anything before or since.

Warhawk on the PSX, great game, great fun, only dropship on the PS2 comes close.

Star Control 2 on the 3DO, possibly the best RPG I have ever played, stunningly poor graphics but more atmosphere than Jupiter and Saturn put together, played til I almost finished it, I advise all to seek it out now! And get the US version with the Hyperspace map, it makes it muck easier!

Return Fire, also on the 3DO, not the inferior PSX version! Amazing war game, best played with two people, brilliant fun, nice feeling of weight from the vehicles, beautifully balanced gameplay, and I think about 10 poeple bought it!

The Need For Speed on the 3DO, again forget the PSX and Saturn updates, this is one of the best racing games ever made, now nearly 12 years old it still is one of the best ways to idle away a while just driving against the clock on one of the pacific coast highways in the game, cars feel somehow heavy and real, a pleasant update to the test Drive series, NFS is soon to be properly updated itself with Test Drive Unlimited on the 360.

Sonic Racing on the Saturn, well, I liked it anyway!

BurningRangers, by Sonic Team, supersweet firefighting action, intelligent help system, great looking, final gen Saturn title with the developers showing a mastery of the hardware.

Eternal Darkness, on the GC, one of the creepiest games I have played, well at least til I played SilentHill2, great story, non-conventional plotting, if you like your Lovecraft and Poe then this is for you!

Juiced on the Xbox, up til the 360 version of NFS most wanted this was the only car modding game I liked.

And I guess thats it, til I think of a few more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Cannon Fodder! Ah that brings back memories. Whoever mentioned it should be praised, and then shot for putting that song in my head. "Kill him with your gun..when he's lying in his uniform..." etc. Damn you!
    Any idea what that song is actually?

Although I'd vote for Chronicles Of Riddick, it's just plain excellent.
    Oh and aswell, SmashTV on the Amiga.

Also, Ciderman, Juiced wasn't that underrated. It sold quite a lot (IIRC) and had a pretty extensive marketing campaign too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Spike wrote:
    Cannon Fodder! Ah that brings back memories. Whoever mentioned it should be praised, and then shot for putting that song in my head. "Kill him with your gun..when he's lying in his uniform..." etc. Damn you!

Cant say I do remember d song, but whata fcukin game - just pure fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

hamster wrote:
    Jomanji,

Did you try Exult ? This program allows you to play Ultima VII (and serpent Isle) on a modern PC. None of that Voodoo Memory Manager rubbish bootdisk anymore. Woohoo! Not sure if I would consider it underrated though I loved it to bits. Yep, takes awhile to complete but it's easy once you follow the plot. I remember going from Trinsic to Paws, then to Britain, to cove and then Minoc and finally to Yew in a 48 hour daze... that wiped out xmas '94 (486DX). Could get forgotten now though but the story is so good.

Ah yes The Black Gate. What a game it was, so much to see and do. Definitely the most in depth RPG I ever played. I remember the first time playing it thinking about how I was gonna earn enough money as the baker's assitant and use my newfound wealth to buy a ship only for boredom to lapse ten minutes later and deciding that looting caves was a much better way of getting an income :D.

As for overrated, I'd say Vagrant Story for sure. A superb game that I unfortunately never finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

/me argees with Kdjac Body Harvest rocked yet so few knew about it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Yeah a mate works for Rockstar and i harass him a lot to get them to remake it, shame he only makes the tea or somfin but hey it may work :D

It is the original GTA except with a better firetruck oh and a Howitzer :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Spike wrote:

War! Never been so much fun
    War! Never been so much fun
    Go up to your brother
    shoot him with your gun
    Lying in his uniform
    Dying in the sun

Great game indeed but hardly underrated. It sold loads and was critically acclaimed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Thrasher

Psycho Fox on the Sega Master System. (cue: The Sega what?).
    What a fantastic game. Except that it's unlikely that anyone has played it...

That and HL2. Yes, the most anticipated game of all time, but still underrated, due to all the whiners complaining about it being too short (after what was one of the longest and most detailed games to date...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

At the time I thought it was underrated- Midnight Resistance on C64.
    More recently: Clive Barkers Undying on PC- great atmosphere throughout the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

I had a game called "Interstate76 - Nitro Riders", absolutely insane game :). Really was great fun, i wish i still had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I had a game called "Interstate76 - Nitro Riders", absolutely insane game :). Really was great fun, i wish i still had it.
    for the pc ? that game sucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Another few i just remembered over the weekend.

Ace of aces (c64) class figther pilot game, not on the g-loc vein but on the 1 or 2 on 1 takes 30mins to shoot them down strategy flying game.

Rick Dangerour (c64) brilliant indianna jones style game.

Lotus Turbo challenge on the Atari ST. Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

creatures on the c64
    micro machines on the nes
    warioland on the gameboy (way too much time put into this game)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ah yes another thread providing posters the opportunity to trot out names of games that demonstrate their knowledge of all things games and maybe the odd actual underrated game too.
    Just one example - System Shock 2? - lets get a grip folks. One of the most highly rated games on the PC ever.
    My pick would be Anahronox (PC) - Tom Hall's work of genius received a little praise but was slated for bugs and the use of the aging Quake engine. These days I think the excellent story and fantastic cinematic approach to an RPG are finally recognised. Some of the greatest moments in a game, my favourite being when the planet council vote to expand the planet to full size in a crisis. Where is Tom these days I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Virtua Racing, not really underratted but I have the MD version, 32X version and the Saturn version and have loved it since the first time I played it, so here it is anyway.

Seconded. And it was consistently very underrated (see the pannage given by EDGE at the time - having myself grabbed a Saturn & VR in my 'retro' period, I can vouch that it was quite good, much much better than Daytona, but still inferior to SRally).

Not so for:
    CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Return Fire 3DO (...) The Need For Speed 3DO (...) Burning Rangers (Saturn) (...)

RF & NFS sold tons in Europe, and BR sold tons in Japan but came too late in Europe (Saturn was already in terminal decline by then), so hardly underrated :)

Oh, and further to LFS, I'll add the Close Combat series by Microsoft - the only RTS I've ever played(and would still ever play), when everyone else went straight from SSII hexagon-maps to C&C and barely ever glanced at them. Personal fave: CC 2 A bridge too far, free from the Underdogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

Some real oldskool games that didnt get alot of praise:

Zak McKraken and the alien mindbenders. Totally overshadowed by monkey island etc but easily as good.

Chicago 90. An unusual one as it wasnt really that great, but an isometric city where you tore around in a high powered sports car avoiding (or blowing up) the police really was an influential game at the time.

Vagrant story. Squares second best game of the last generation behinf FFVII. Criminally underrated and for the guy who said he didnt finisht it..SHAME ON YOU!! One of the best endings ive ever seen :D

Advertisement