Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most under rated game ever?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

I had a game called "Interstate76 - Nitro Riders", absolutely insane game :). Really was great fun, i wish i still had it.

Ah yes, now that was a racing game. Screw PGR, Interstate was brilliant. Mainly because I was Groove Champion.
    Also loved the way you could get Taurus to recite some poetry, haha.

Retro, didn't realise Cannon Fodder sold so well. Although now that you mention it, it does sound familiar alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cannon Fodder sold loads on the amiga and quite a few copies on the consoles. Team 17 were the Intelligent Systems of the Amiga.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

ahh yes Zak McKraken, remember playing that on my mates amiga, great game loved the start of it

sunday morning....zak is in bed...alone...again :)

some great eggs in microwave moments too

Rise of the triad, great fps at the time of duke3d & completely overshadowed by it

there was a level that was called "dead in 2 seconds" (or something like that) where you could be killed almost instantly if you didnt start running as soon as the level started, great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

C_Breeze wrote:
    Sky Oddysey on PS2.

one of those cheapo 20 quid games , but seriously , i would have given it 9/10.

excellent game - andyone who ever played it would have thought the same

Definitely. I absolutely loved that game. Spend hours playing it. One of the only games i ever rented twice. Should have bought it now looking back on things. What a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Flimbo's Quest for the C64.

lol I was going to say that tongue-in-cheek
    And then I see this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

It came from the desert 1&2 - Amiga

Carrier Command - Amiga

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

musician wrote:
    Just one example - System Shock 2? - lets get a grip folks. One of the most highly rated games on the PC ever.

Everybody who played SS2 seemed to love it, but it still didn't sell too well and besides word of mouth, there really was no real advertisement of the game at all. It sold enough copies, but would have outsold everything if more people knew about it at the time.

And I'd forgotten about Anachronox. Man I love that game!
    It came from the desert 1&2 - Amiga

I didn't know there was a part 2. I played the first on the PC and loved it. It was one of the first non-linear games that I ever played. Anybody know if part 2 ever came out on PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It must have been mentioned before, but ...mmmmh
    REZ
    This game is soooo addictive.
    And all I needed to do was trade a battered old copy of N64 GoldenEye... I almost feel guilty :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding my choices of 3DO titles as underrated games, Ambro25 felt that they were, in fact, good selling popular games, I would counter that most folk I came across had no contact with the console at all, never mind the software, too bust playing Madden on their Megadrive/Nintendoey thingys.
    In fact the only way most folk saw N4S was when they played my copies of them, then they were suitably impressed alright but refused to shell out the £400 for the console, tightwads!
    StarControl2 is the game that really stands out though together with The Need For Speed as the games that kept me up playing for nights on end, and if you can find a 3DO online somewhere the rather open protection system, or should that be non-existent protection system will allow you to dare I say sownload the entire backcatalog of games for the machine, super good!
    If you are feeling a bit more law abiding then just buy them quite reasonably on ebay.

I guess the trouble is that there a lot of games that while casual gamers seemed to ignore their existence, we the hardcore variety seek them out, probably why Ico and Rez are hard to find.

The biggest tragedy is Ubisoft, having released three awesome original titles in a row, every one sunk, XIII, BG&E and Prince of Persia, although PofP is enjoying a series of reheated sequels, the other two that are wide open for a follow up are never to be revisited again, shame, a real shame.

Another reallt enjoyable game is Haven Call of the King, available for the price of sausage roll it is a lot of fun, using fractal effects to allow some lovely vistas ingame, some great Raiders style Dungeons in it too, give it a lash, its not a bad title at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Horde on the 3D0 is another that never gets a mention - absolutly cracking game. Sadly the joypad port on my 3D0 is dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Games I loved and miss :(:

Speed Devils - Very enjoyable arcade-style racer...

Shenmue - Doubt we'll ever get to see how this game ends. The sequel has simply taken too long now. :(

Headhunter - Really enjoyed this game, though by the time the sequel came around, I had kinda gotten out of gaming.

Zone of the Enders - Similar scenario. I really liked this, the music, all that - normally it wouldn't be my kind of game at all.

...You know, all in all, I just miss the Dreamcast to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wasn't a big fan of ZOE 1. However Zone of Enders: the 2nd Runner was one of the best action games of this generation and without a MGS demo sold about 20 copies. Great soundtrack in both games, have the second games OST on CD myslef.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

Alien Vs Predator 1&2
    and James Pond 2
    and Broken sword 1&2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

jaggeh wrote:
    Carrier Command - Amiga

I never, ever figured out how to play that god damn game.

Anyone ever play Horror zombies from the crypt? Pretty obscure game but i seem to remember it being cool back in the old atari st days

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Vanishing Point on the DC, racing was crap but the stunt mode was most excellent, graphics were lovely, much nicer than the PSone version.

Picked up the Horde for the 3DO about a year ago, love the dude in the FMV, almost as much as Lance the presenter in Megarace on the same format.

it came from thedesert 2 was where the ants tried again by infiltrating the human population, the official title if i remember right is "ANTHEADS! It Came From The Desert 2"

<edit> yep and heres the disk image from the creators
    http://www.cinemaware.com/clsgame_antheads.asp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Mechwarrior 3
    probably one of the best simulator games ever on the PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

mech warrior 3, great game indeed. I hadn't even thought of that one.

Thing is, didn't that sell extremely well?

mechwarrior 3 did sell very very well, its a crying shame microshaft got the rights to continue the series cos like everything else they made a dogs dinner of it.

jaggeh wrote:
    it came from thedesert 2 was where the ants tried again by infiltrating the human population, the official title if i remember right is "ANTHEADS! It Came From The Desert 2"

<edit> yep and heres the disk image from the creators
    http://www.cinemaware.com/clsgame_antheads.asp

Excellent! Going to have to give this one a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Battle Isle Phase 4: Incubation.

Shockingly atmospheric, hugely playable turn based tactical game. Can't believe more people don't rave about it.

Earthhorse wrote:
    Battle Isle Phase 4: Incubation.

Shockingly atmospheric, hugely playable turn based tactical game. Can't believe more people don't rave about it.

Is that the one that's a bith like Space Crusade with better graphics? I think I played a demo of it years ago and loved it, but couldn't find the game anywhere. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

jaggeh wrote:
    mechwarrior 3 did sell very very well, its a crying shame microshaft got the rights to continue the series cos like everything else they made a dogs dinner of it.

i cried when i played mechwarrior 4.... how could they ruin it SOOOOOOOOOOO badly. it is a marvel how they did it. actually making a game worse after making it for ages. absolute idiots.

lets not even talk about the Mechassault series. THEY ARE NOT MECH GAMES!
    i should stop now... i can see my right hand trembling with rage the more i think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

jomanji wrote:
    Is that the one that's a bith like Space Crusade with better graphics? I think I played a demo of it years ago and loved it, but couldn't find the game anywhere. :(

Yep, sounds like it. You'd probably be able to find a copy of it on e-bay or other auction sites maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dead

i think forza motorsport and gta libirty city storys where very underrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

You can't say Forza was underrated. It was twice the game GT4 was and most mag's (no playstation fanboi publications) said as such. Also the game sold by the bucket load on xbox.

The story had so much depth and carachter development with numerous twists in sub plots thrown in!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MiniMetro

kc66 wrote:
    At the time I thought it was underrated- Midnight Resistance on C64.

Absolute Classic, do you remember the cheat where you had to type S I A M E S E , think it was for invincability

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Phantasy Star On line - Dreamcast

I loved that game, remember starting off really weak and relying on other people to help and then building up and being able to go through the levels on my own, getting new weapons etc...

was great really really wish the dreamcast had taken off it deserved so much better

midnight resistance on the C64 was a load of me arse. The arcade game with the twin joysticks was a far better game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement